Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Decision on failed motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
qasteve
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Decision on failed motor

First time post, unfortunately a rotten topic. I read through many threads before I purchased my Cayman S so I knew what I was getting into but now I have a Cayman S with a motor failure and looking for advice.

The basics: purchased a low option 2006 S with 89,000 miles. Had the PPI, checked for revs etc. Looked at and drove about 20 cars before I found this one. Green exterior, tan interior with only option basically memory seats. I was daily driving the car with the occasional (non-PCA) track day as an instructor. Paid 21 for the car and have a small loan currently of 7k.

I donated the use of the car and track day for a fundraiser. My student over-revved on 3rd-2nd instead of 3rd-4th missed shift. I was in the right seat. It was a short duration rev and the car was running fine without any issues until a few weeks later. CEL and misfires became more frequent so I took it in. After lots of diagnosis the result is damaged/cracked cylinder walls on the right bank. Basically I need a short block.

The question and advice I am looking for, especially those that have gone through it are what to do. Feel free to post other options but as I see it:
1) Just sell as a roller. But could I get 7k to cover the loan? I am thinking pretty close.
2) Search and search, find the right used motor and replace it. Roughly 8-10k? Is that the right ballpark?
3) Find a used motor and take it to someplace like TPC Racing and upgrade with the turbo kit? Does that kind of niche increase the value enough where I can get back some of the loss?
4) Crate motor from the dealer. Probably the most expensive prospect

Probably goes without saying but I do not have 10-15k available to spend so at this point looking for the best option to cut my losses or if investing more $ helps reduce the loss then could swing it. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:55 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

selling it as a roller will get you the most money.........doubtful anything close to 7 grand though. just putting a used engine is the cheapest way to fix it......maybe not the best way to fix it though. i would sell it .....lesson learned
Old 10-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Here are my thoughts:

1) You can sell it as a roller for about $10k or above but the market is small. There is a very active market in PCA Spec Cayman race car conversions right now. If the car is white or black or silver it becomes easier to sell into that particular market, especially if it has a dark interior. The engine itself could be worth $5.5k for a core exchange credit from Porsche.
2) You can buy a used motor for about $8k or about $10k installed but check for over-revs and insist on a leak down before you buy
3) That Sounds like a crazy idea
4) Crate engines (not sure they are still available) are around $16//$17k assuming you get the $5.5k core credit. Problem is that Porsche will not give you that core credit until they see what's left of your engine so there is some risk you might not get it. Financially, this will be your worst alternative.

If your engine failed due to an over-rev (you should check over-rev range levels) then you should also have your pressure plate and gearbox checked. Usually pressure plates and engines fail together. Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info.

Lessons learnt: Don't let anybody else drive your car on the track unless they are prepared to pay for the damage they cause. When you have an over-rev, have it checked out right away before the engine blows up so you can evaluate a simple preventive rebuild.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 10-08-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by qasteve
First time post, unfortunately a rotten topic. I read through many threads before I purchased my Cayman S so I knew what I was getting into but now I have a Cayman S with a motor failure and looking for advice.

The basics: purchased a low option 2006 S with 89,000 miles. Had the PPI, checked for revs etc. Looked at and drove about 20 cars before I found this one. Green exterior, tan interior with only option basically memory seats. I was daily driving the car with the occasional (non-PCA) track day as an instructor. Paid 21 for the car and have a small loan currently of 7k.

I donated the use of the car and track day for a fundraiser. My student over-revved on 3rd-2nd instead of 3rd-4th missed shift. I was in the right seat. It was a short duration rev and the car was running fine without any issues until a few weeks later. CEL and misfires became more frequent so I took it in. After lots of diagnosis the result is damaged/cracked cylinder walls on the right bank. Basically I need a short block.

The question and advice I am looking for, especially those that have gone through it are what to do. Feel free to post other options but as I see it:
1) Just sell as a roller. But could I get 7k to cover the loan? I am thinking pretty close.
2) Search and search, find the right used motor and replace it. Roughly 8-10k? Is that the right ballpark?
3) Find a used motor and take it to someplace like TPC Racing and upgrade with the turbo kit? Does that kind of niche increase the value enough where I can get back some of the loss?
4) Crate motor from the dealer. Probably the most expensive prospect

Probably goes without saying but I do not have 10-15k available to spend so at this point looking for the best option to cut my losses or if investing more $ helps reduce the loss then could swing it. Thoughts?
Bummer.

I have no idea what the car is worth as a roller. Call Oklahoma Foreign (in Oklahoma City) and find out. There might be similar businesses nearer you. Check out the ads in Panorama and Excellence for similar businesses.

And for a used engine, an engine from a salvage car, I have no idea of the cost. You should though to help you know what is the best course of action.

I would not do #3. Any mod's to an "unknown" motor do not raise the value of the car. The cars that hold their value best are un-mod'd cars with no stories, good service history, not too many miles.

For #4 you need to ask what a crate motor would cost with or without a suitable core.

The common thread above is you need to get high confidence answers to your questions to be able to weigh the alternatives and to then make the right decision for you.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

You could also rebuild the motor. If only the cylinder walls are damaged, LN Engineering can bore them out and replace them with Nickies liners. Would be like getting a new case. Then, just reinstall the existing parts, maybe with a few upgrades WYIT (while you're in there).

I know a couple of guys who have rebuilt the engines in their boxsters. Turned out to not be as hard as expected, although they did have to buy a couple of special tools.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went though this process earlier this year (failed AOS vs Overrevs). I initially bought a used engine which turned out to be bad. I then sent both cores to Vision Motorsport for evaluation.

Dwain have me a fair price for the additional core and sent back a rebuilt engine (a standard rebuild is around $13K). I am still in the process of installing the engine but I have piece of mind that a have a solid engine that will last me many years on the track.

But I think you have all the options laid out for you pretty well. GL!
Old 11-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I am interested in the car as is, can't send you a PM, send me an e-mail.

Maverick_993@ hotmail.com

Thx
Burkey

Quick Reply: Help with Decision on failed motor