Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service and Maintenece

Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service and Maintenece

Who on here performs their own service on their Cayman? I'm due for my 60,000 mile service and was quoted over $1,000 from my service shop. Yikes! I do the majority of work on my 944 Spec race car and have for many years, so I'm up for the task. I watched a few YouTube vids and everything looks pretty straight forward. I can purchase all the parts (air filter, oil filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs, serpentine belt) including the oil for under $250 and it looks like it will take me about 1/2 a day taking my time.
So has anyone had any horror stories or issues? I'm a little concerned about resetting the computer. Any help on that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:54 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are used to wrenching on your 944 I'm sure you can perform all of the service items you list.
Of all of the items, the spark plug change is the most difficult. It will likely take you more than half a day to do this item alone. The YouTube videos and videos on several forums do help immensely with this one. If you have a vehicle lift it will cut some time off.
My advice for changing the plugs is to use a locking extension so that you don't lose the spark plug socket down in the engine head, use wobbly extensions, different length extensions, etc.

Don't forget the brake bleeding, and also bleed the clutch slave cylinder if it hasn't been done in awhile.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:40 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spokayman
If you are used to wrenching on your 944 I'm sure you can perform all of the service items you list.
Of all of the items, the spark plug change is the most difficult. It will likely take you more than half a day to do this item alone. The YouTube videos and videos on several forums do help immensely with this one. If you have a vehicle lift it will cut some time off.
My advice for changing the plugs is to use a locking extension so that you don't lose the spark plug socket down in the engine head, use wobbly extensions, different length extensions, etc.

Don't forget the brake bleeding, and also bleed the clutch slave cylinder if it hasn't been done in awhile.
Thanks! Any idea on resetting the maintenance reminder in the computer?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 74 and did the service. The belt was the most time consuming only because of gaining access. The air filter change bruised my knuckles a bit. Oil change, cabin filter and oil filter were no sweat.

I did have the transmission oil changed by an Indy shop though, as well as brake bleed but only because I didn't have a pressure bleeder nor an assistant. Cost $155.

Never reset reminder, it does not stay on.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 400hp944
Thanks! Any idea on resetting the maintenance reminder in the computer?
I bought a "refurbished" Durametric tool for and I use this to reset the Service reminder that shows up on the dash every 20K miles or so.
I think there are other similar and possibly less expensive electronic tools out there now that will reset the reminder as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service and Maintenece