Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 wing for a 987

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:11 PM
dpaul
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 718 is the wife's, and she doesn't want to spend the money on a rear wing due to the cost.
I'm a hobby wood worker and I figured this is still do-able.
Hear me out now... the vertical supports are hard maple to handle the aerodynamic wind load which will apply torque to the base of the supports.
The modulus of elasticity/poisons ratio/radius of gyration were all taken from Roark's handbook for the structural calculations. Mohr's circle calculations even verified the principle stresses.
The wing is laminated hard maple, but only 13/64" thick... not yet competing with carbon fiber for strength to weight ratio, but dollar per board foot ratio, I have this race dominated!
I'm not yet equipped to make these jaw dropping wings for others, since I have not yet road tested this engineering cost-saving marvel at the 718's top speed.
These can be stained OR painted... think of the possibilities!
This is the selling point if I go commercial... cost: $12.38.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

dpaul -

That's brilliant work! Even if the cost of painting or staining your wing is accounted for it should still cost under $20.

I think you need to make a similar wing to replace the 996 Turbo rear wing for those owners who experience operational issues with that unit on their cars.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You could sell a whole kit with a front splitter, hood scoop, etc.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

An optional Gurney Flap would be a low cost option and improve downforce.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dpaul

The 718 is the wife's, and she doesn't want to spend the money on a rear wing due to the cost.
I'm a hobby wood worker and I figured this is still do-able.
Hear me out now... the vertical supports are hard maple to handle the aerodynamic wind load which will apply torque to the base of the supports.
The modulus of elasticity/poisons ratio/radius of gyration were all taken from Roark's handbook for the structural calculations. Mohr's circle calculations even verified the principle stresses.
The wing is laminated hard maple, but only 13/64" thick... not yet competing with carbon fiber for strength to weight ratio, but dollar per board foot ratio, I have this race dominated!
I'm not yet equipped to make these jaw dropping wings for others, since I have not yet road tested this engineering cost-saving marvel at the 718's top speed.
These can be stained OR painted... think of the possibilities!
This is the selling point if I go commercial... cost: $12.38.

The car is really nice. We are getting together soon on a north Georgia mountain cruise. Please join us.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So crazy that this thread popped up on my list. I am just now starting to look for a wing for my 08S. Anyone have a good line on them? racer901 has a really nice one. Not wanting to track mine, just wanting to make it look sportier.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
dpaul -

That's brilliant work! Even if the cost of painting or staining your wing is accounted for it should still cost under $20.

I think you need to make a similar wing to replace the 996 Turbo rear wing for those owners who experience operational issues with that unit on their cars.
Innovative idea. Easy to attach by just toenailing the verticals into the wing.

no1tmorrow, go to post 18 in this thread and contact Jon.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAch Miami,
Sent Jon an email. Thanks.

Quick Reply: GT4 wing for a 987