Old 06-03-2016, 04:14 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Porsche Cayman GT4 for Planet-9 Founder

Porsche Exchange Delivery

When Ken Smiley, the founder, and admin of Planet-9 contacted us and asked about protecting his track-ready Porsche Cayman GT4, we didn't hesitate to jump in and help him find a local Factory Trained XPEL Installer.

After all, Ken had a 500+ mile drive home to Kansas once the vehicle was completed. A 500+ Mile drive? Yes, Ken selected the Porsche Exchange in Chicago to take delivery of his Racing Yellow GT4 and had the Chicago Auto Pros perform their magic, wrapping this beautiful car with XPEL ULTIMATE self-healing paint protection film.

The coverage areas included a full front end (full hood, full fenders, front bumper, and mirrors), rocker panels and custom wing coverage. Ken is now ready to hit the road and the track. Look below at the article that Ken wrote about his entire experience, that is also on his website, Planet-9.com, a Porsche Enthusiast Forum.

"I would like to thank our sponsor XPEL for helping to make this article possible. I would also like to thank Chicago Auto Pros who did the installation work shown in these photos. As many of you may know, I've had some form of clear bra on various cars I've owned going clear back to 1998 when I first discovered that a car's paint could be protected with a clear film. I also know that a clear film is not necessarily for everyone, feel free to visit the debates in our forum to read some of the reasons for and against a clear bra. For me the decision was simple. A brand new GT4 that was going to be driven 550+ miles its first time out, why would I want to punish the paint of an instant classic such as the GT4? I didn't want to, plus if this car is going to be visiting the track it is going to need something to keep all that track debris from turning a gorgeous racing yellow into a Grey Poupon.

Since my knowledge of films was a little bit dated I decided to dive in and do some research on various films. I ultimately (no pun intended) landed on the XPEL ULTIMATE film, not only for its visual clarity but for its ability to heal itself from minor scratches or swirl marks. (Some good information about the self-healing properties on XPEL's Website) I can certainly point to places on my 10-year-old 987 Cayman S where the clear bra has some swirl marks and light scratches and while you don't immediately notice them on a yellow car if the light hits the car just right they are noticeable. One of the things that also bothered me about my prior 3M film was the amount of visual orange peel that it added to the car at certain angles. It was never "bad" but again, look at it just right and you noticed it. One other item that has changed in the last decade is that larger rolls of film are produced now which means instead of having a piece that only went half way up my hood and created a place to avoid when waxing the car, now the hood of the GT4 could be covered and the edges wrapped with one solid piece! Suffice it to say..."
continued: here

To read the full article please click: Porsche Cayman GT4 Article

Check out the YouTube video that Chicago Auto Pros made:

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman GT4 for Planet-9 Founder