Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:21 PM
BuellRacer
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f22c
Bueller.....Bueller...No one knows. I'll call the dealership.
Yes?!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:53 AM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any real feedback with Johns wing from a tracking perspective. Interested in the under steer perspective without a new front splitter which I believe is a must to maintain aero balance. Also if anyone has balanced the car with a new front splitter your input would be valued. Did you notice a slight reduction in top speed?

It's a great looking wing but I track a fair amount and need to make sure the benefits are really there before I take the leap
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fnel1771
Any real feedback with Johns wing from a tracking perspective. Interested in the under steer perspective without a new front splitter which I believe is a must to maintain aero balance. Also if anyone has balanced the car with a new front splitter your input would be valued. Did you notice a slight reduction in top speed?

It's a great looking wing but I track a fair amount and need to make sure the benefits are really there before I take the leap
Last year I put Joe Toth's front splitter on my Cayman to improve the turn-in characteristics of the car. The effects were dramatic, but left the rear of the car feeling very unsettled in high-speed corners. I felt that Jon's wing would most likely add enough downforce to solve my problem, and meant that I could avoid going to a much larger wing setup with base. I ran the car for 3 days at Mosport with the new wing, and was very, very happy with the results, both from a handling perspective and the resulting lap times, which were noticeably improved. I would recommend this setup to anyone for a track setup.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. Will need to add wing to Santa's list!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:04 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Sorry, this is the only other picture I have, and the car is in storage for the winter now.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

I have to add that this is a very well constructed wing, and an absolute steal at the price that Jon is charging. I looked at some of the other high quality wings out there, but found that Jon's was much better value. And in case anyone is wondering, I don't know Jon and have never met him, so I'm not shilling on his behalf.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 PM
UweHeinrich
7th Gear

I like to install the Techart Cayman Rear Wing on my Cayman 2015 GTS. Can anyone help with information about good painters and installers in the greater LA area?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:11 AM
BuellRacer
Cruisin'

This wing looks great.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 PM
aprogressivone
3rd Gear

NR Auto is making a GT4 wing that should be available next month. Finally! I was waiting around for either GT-Racing or Getty Design to finish up their product but it looks like NR Auto will be beating them to the market. GT-Racing sells the wing without uprights currently and Getty just has pictures online of it without a release date.

I don't want to take away from the hard work other manufacturers have done especially jonjmay Composite Concepts mentioned earlier in this thread, but there will be some differences. jonjmay uprights that attach to the hatch look nothing GT4 ones. The wing end plates are flat and also have visible mounting hardware unlike a real GT4 wing which is molded and hides the hardware. NR Auto is spot on for both of these issues. The second link I have below even state existing 3rd party wing risers will work with NR Auto uprights.

The difference will probably be in the cost. I'm taking a big guess Composite Concepts will be much cheaper due to the design of the uprights and end plates being simpler. Flat cut uprights mounted with what appear to be APR Wing U mounts vs a Cast upright like the real gt4.

They state it works on the 987, 981, and 718.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...-gt4-wing.html

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...-gt4-wing.html
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM
td_fl
Rennlist Member

Has anyone put Joe Toth's splitter/wing on a Boxster? I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you have them. I feel like the bodies are similar enough that the handling characteristics should be consistent.

Thanks,
Tony

Quick Reply: GT4 Wing?