Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close is Cayman to Boxster in a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How close is Cayman to Boxster in a test drive?

Long story short: I am shopping for a Cayman 987.2 PDK, but cannot find one locally to test drive. However, there are a few Boxsters around me.

I have never driven or properly sat in one so I want to test drive before buying one from across the country.

Interior layout and space is also very important.

But obviously seating position, seats and driving experience is the most important aspect.

So the question is this: If I test drive same year/optioned Boxster PDK, will it give me a good idea how Cayman will be? Or will it be very different?

PS: I have read a lot already, but nothing beats a test drive.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Long story short: I am shopping for a Cayman 987.2 PDK, but cannot find one locally to test drive. However, there are a few Boxsters around me.

I have never driven or properly sat in one so I want to test drive before buying one from across the country.

Interior layout and space is also very important.

But obviously seating position, seats and driving experience is the most important aspect.

So the question is this: If I test drive same year/optioned Boxster PDK, will it give me a good idea how Cayman will be? Or will it be very different?

PS: I have read a lot already, but nothing beats a test drive.

Thanks!
I have a 987.1 Cayman and a 987.2 Boxster and can offer the following observations.

-Seating position, most of the dash controls and operations, kneeroom and headroom are pretty much the same.

-The finishes on the seats, dash, door cards, carpet, etc. are also pretty much the same.

-The front trunk with it's storage room is of course the same, but the Cayman has more total storage room in the back because of the hatch that it has vs the smaller trunk of the Boxster.

-Comparing interior room/space; with the top up in the Boxster vs the enclosed Cayman, the Cayman feels slightly more spacious inside. This is due again to the space under the hatch that a person can lean back and access even while driving. The difference is slight though IMO.

-Where the two cars differ most, in my opinion, is in the overall noise level and quality. Because the Cayman is enclosed, the mechanical sounds (engine, trans, even power steering pump noise) are all more "present" and noticeable. Because it is an enclosed coupe the mechanical noise is "cooped up" in a way, not to an obnoxious level, but this is what my ears and mind perceive most when driving the Cayman.
The Boxster, being open, allows in ambient noise, wind noise, etc., and doesn't keep the mechanical noise "cooped up" like the Cayman. So, the Boxster experience is less mechanical or car related sounds and more exterior sounds.

-My Cayman is an S model and the Boxster is a base model, so I cannot directly compare the power and handling.
But the Cayman has always had something like 10-15 more HP than the Boxster, and being a coupe it is more torsionally stiff than the Boxster. For those reasons alone the Cayman feels slightly sportier. I believe there are suspension tuning differences between the two also, but I don't know what exactly is different.

-In my case (987.1 Cayman S vs 987.2 Boxster base) the suspension and ride are stiffer in the Cayman to a fairly noticeable degree. This is due to 19" tires on the Cayman vs 17" on the Boxster, and is also likely due to S vs base specifications (suspension tuning differences), and also due to 987.1 vs 987.2 (perhaps suspension specs and tuning differences also).

-Based on my own experience and from all I have read about other's experiences, the Cayman has sharper reflexes compared to the Boxster, but the overall driving dynamics and capabilities are very similar.

Hope this helps a bit....
Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

They are very similar. Interior is essentially identical. Differences in handling won't be apparent on a test drive.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I know I will love it regardless. Unfortunately wife wants to "sit and drive" before I buy it. Now I will look for local Boxsters to drive and Cayman to buy from a sunny state to make a vacation out of it
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven a 987.2 Boxster Base manual and own a 987.2 Cayman Base PDK. As others have said above the Cayman is structurally stiffer, but the poise in the twisties is very similar. The power of the two base models are negligible with the Cayman Base w/PDK being a tad quicker for reasons I am sure you have already read about by now.

I live in the northeast and locally found my 2011 Cayman in Nov of last year with only 3800 miles on it. Obviously if you are willing to travel, as I was, you're options will broaden, but mainly wanted to point out that you never know what will pop-up on the market in your neck of the woods.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:21 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by graemeiam
I have driven a 987.2 Boxster Base manual and own a 987.2 Cayman Base PDK. As others have said above the Cayman is structurally stiffer, but the poise in the twisties is very similar. The power of the two base models are negligible with the Cayman Base w/PDK being a tad quicker for reasons I am sure you have already read about by now.

I live in the northeast and locally found my 2011 Cayman in Nov of last year with only 3800 miles on it. Obviously if you are willing to travel, as I was, you're options will broaden, but mainly wanted to point out that you never know what will pop-up on the market in your neck of the woods.
Thanks!

I have been buying and selling cars on the side for years. I have absolutely no problem flying to Cali to buy a car and drive it home. I just need to test drive one locally to make sure Mrs approves

I appreciate the re-assurance that I can also drive a Boxster to get the info that I need.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:24 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Since you said that seating position is very important I would highly recommend power seats as a must have option. My previous 12 Cayman had them and was very comfortable. I am about 6'2" and after driving a demo with manual seats I had decided that I couldn't buy either a Boxster/Cayman. Then I found a car with power seats and I fit perfectly. Ordered a Cayman! The tilt feature on the power seats made all the difference.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD
Since you said that seating position is very important I would highly recommend power seats as a must have option. My previous 12 Cayman had them and was very comfortable. I am about 6'2" and after driving a demo with manual seats I had decided that I couldn't buy either a Boxster/Cayman. Then I found a car with power seats and I fit perfectly. Ordered a Cayman! The tilt feature on the power seats made all the difference.
Both of my 987s have manual seats and I am 6'4" and the seating position is fine for me. Manual seats do have a manual tilt function for the seat bottom (a silver lever on the side that is pulled up or pushed down), but I find the lowermost "base" position to be fine and never use the tilt function.
What positions do the power seats have that the manual seats don't possess?
Or, are your comments relative to a 981 and maybe the 981 manual seats don't have the tilt function anymore?

Last edited by Spokayman; 03-09-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: currecshun
Old 03-10-2016, 01:38 PM
TimD
Instructor

The 12 and 14 way seats both have the ability to tilt the entire seat both backrest and seat bottom back at the same time not merely raise the seat bottom. With the whole seat tilted you raise and support your thighs and in effect get more leg room. They also have power lumbar support that can be moved in and out and up and down on the backrest. The 14 way seats also have power back and thigh bolsters. I have the 12 way seats on my 15cs and also had them on my 12c.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:17 PM
TimD
Instructor

Also forgot the newer power seats have the power extendable thigh support.

Quick Reply: How close is Cayman to Boxster in a test drive?