Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone seen "no information about oil level available at present"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:04 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone seen "no information about oil level available at present"

very odd - normally, I can select vehicle/oil level and see if I am low on oil. this is a 2014 car. Today I checked and I got a yellow display that said "no information about oil level available at present" - it persisted through two drive cycles, and I don't find it in the manual (maybe it's there somewhere) ???? any thoughts? I tried before starting, after shutting down, with engine running, always same result. Photo happens to be with engine not running, by the way. There are no warnings except this one, and it only appears and then goes away when I select oil level to look at.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:46 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Engine must be up to temp. Around 200 degrees, engine shut off for aprox 1 minute. Then turn key to on position not starting engine and check. If you open rear trunk you won't get a reading.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:48 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

well, after going on a longer drive today, about 45 minutes, it started to work, so it could well be temperature - thanks
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Go to the manual under Checking Engine Oil Level.

It goes on to explain that if the rear trunk lid is opened while the engine is cold the oil level cannot be displayed for a certain time (?).
Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

that makes less than no sense at all - I guess they think that if you open the trunk you must be adding oil (not adding groceries or your lunch). so very typical - thanks.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 AM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll also work while engine is running but it must be up to temp.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Grrrr - the delicious irony..... yesterday I did my first oil change (I bought dealer service for the first few maintenance events), and ran into this annoying "feature" again, went to search and up pops my own thread that I had forgotten. by now, has anyone figured out the actual interlocks? I opened the trunk and added oil with the engine off, because after driving a while, the indicator started to work again and it showed I was low. Is it really a timer on opening the trunk? any idea how long?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Check this thread out - https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9942...available.html - and the attached pdf. There are several conditions that need to be met at least on a 981. Including lid closed for at least 45 seconds... Quite complex!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's stupid to me.... I don't understand why they won't give you a 'low confidence' reading or something instead of refusing to read. Not being able to check the oil level before starting the car (after sitting for a long time, or after an oil change, etc. is really stupid.

I'm actually in a situation now where while the car was in storage this winter I changed the oil but was in a rush and not sure if I put just the one 5 quart jug in or added the extra 2 yet.... so now I probably will drain it all and start over.

Quick Reply: anyone seen "no information about oil level available at present"