Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospect Owner - Reliability and Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:17 AM
MaxB
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospect Owner - Reliability and Maintenance Question

Hello,

I am currently in a market of a new car and I've narrowed my choices down to two choices, a Cayman GTS or a BMW M4. So far I've only been doing my research online and have been reading up online car reviews. I am planning on going to a Porsche Dealership to look at one in person, and further inquire about the price and options.

However, I am wondering:

1.) How reliable is the Cayman for daily driving? Because I am planning on driving the car as often as I could, which includes daily commute on both highway and downtown city driving. For comparison purposes, my currently daily vehicle is a 2009 Lexus IS250 AWD and it have 150,000km on it. So I do drive quite a bit. And the Lexus in my opinion is very reliable since I never had any issues with it other than typical scheduled maintenances and manufacture recalls.

2.) How drivable is the Cayman in the winter? Heavy rain and/or snow? I understand that the Cayman is a completely different car and it is designed for performance and driving experience. So I am not expecting the Cayman to do what my Lexus can in the winter. But can the Cayman get around in the winter if needed?

3.) Are the maintenance cost reasonable? How much do an average owner spend on maintenance? I read online that scheduled maintenance are about once a year but it includes more than just an oil change.

Ideally I am looking to get sell my Lexus as I already have a second car, and keeping three cars just don't make sense to me. I hope that the Cayman can replace the Lexus as my daily car. Unfortunately my second car is a highly modified import that can't be driven daily (400+ hp, very stiff ride and loud with a 4" straight through exhaust) and selling that car instead of the Lexus is not an option for me because of sentimental value.

Having said that, should I consider the M4 over the Cayman for practicality with a useable trunk and somewhat of a backseat? I do play rec hockey 3 times a week, so having a bigger trunk is more useful to me. I have seen pictures online that a hockey bag do fit in the Cayman but I assumed it won't be as convenience than say the M4? I am currently leaning towards the Cayman GTS over the M4 because I love the design more and the mid engine design. Plus seeing pictures of how some Cayman owner have a clear engine cover made the Cayman a lot more attractive to me.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Did 4 or 5 trackdays, no maintenance required. For DD duty, you will see the workshop for scheduled maintenance only.

2) Rain: Light car and wide rear tires require caution, however, I did some trackdays with Cup tires in pouring rain, so it can't be too bad. Snow: Worse than your Lexus and any 911, better than any rear wheel driven BMW including the M4. Beemers tend to have massive traction issues, at the same time they are great fun for drifting in the snow...

3) Porsche dealerships are known for premium pricing. Won't be much worse than a BMW M maintenance.

The M3/4 is a very capable car, just drive both and take whatever is more to your liking. Mid - engine platform vs. classical design will give you a very different experience. I find mid engined cars very rewarding...
Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

*Subscribed* (eager to hear too)
Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 AM
MaxB
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply Sven, yes I realize that either the Cayman or M3 won't be no where as good as my Lexus in the winter. But as long as I can get around in the Winter time in the Cayman then it puts another check box on the Cayman side on my list. I just don't like the idea of not being able to get around at all in the winter.

Another question, are there any known issues with the Cayman? I read on another site that early model Porsche have problem with the IMS bearing? If I decide to get one, it'll be a GT-S model. From what I've read the GT4 model is hard to get and it also doesn't have the backup camera option. Based on my research I know members of this forum have gone the aftermarket route with NAV-TV, but without owning the car, I still prefer to stick with factory option.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxB
Thanks for the reply Sven, yes I realize that either the Cayman or M3 won't be no where as good as my Lexus in the winter. But as long as I can get around in the Winter time in the Cayman then it puts another check box on the Cayman side on my list. I just don't like the idea of not being able to get around at all in the winter.

Another question, are there any known issues with the Cayman? I read on another site that early model Porsche have problem with the IMS bearing? If I decide to get one, it'll be a GT-S model. From what I've read the GT4 model is hard to get and it also doesn't have the backup camera option. Based on my research I know members of this forum have gone the aftermarket route with NAV-TV, but without owning the car, I still prefer to stick with factory option.
The current Cayman GTS is the 981 and it has the 9A1 motor which does not have an IMS. All cars 09 and newer use the 9A1. So far it seems very reliable (except GT3 issues). Buying new you have 4 years warranty. The IMSB problems mostly go back 2 engine versions to the M96. Can't help on winter driving, but be aware the GTS (PASM or X73) will be lower than a base or S Cayman so consider ground clearance.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Melek
Rennlist Member

I highly recommend you to go to dealership, take a look and test drive both cars. I've been shopped around for about a month to get either used 987.2 Cayman S or F80 M3 and I was able to narrow it down to 987.2 Caymans S after visiting Porsche dealership.

- Driving 987.2 Cayman S was something that I haven't experienced before; feeling, mid-engine, sound, look and many more comparing to M cars.

I am pretty sure there are many of good things on M3 side, but this is what I felt and experienced in last few weeks.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM
MaxB
3rd Gear

Nice, glad to hear you were on the same boat as me. Did you find the Cayman offer enough storage space for your need in comparison to the M3? I think right now, the only thing on the M3 that interests me is the amount of space compare to the Cayman. I'm in agreement with you that the Cayman wins over the M3 in terms of engine placement, sound and look.

I know the final decision will be based on my personal preference, but would be nice to hear what made others made their decision.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Melek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxB
Nice, glad to hear you were on the same boat as me. Did you find the Cayman offer enough storage space for your need in comparison to the M3? I think right now, the only thing on the M3 that interests me is the amount of space compare to the Cayman. I'm in agreement with you that the Cayman wins over the M3 in terms of engine placement, sound and look.

I know the final decision will be based on my personal preference, but would be nice to hear what made others made their decision.
I agree with you. There's the amount of space comparing to the Cayman. I contacted Mckenna BMW where is near my office and they offered me a great deal for F80 M3 MG on SO with 6MT, Executive pkg, Adaptive Suspension, and Moonroof. The MSRP on this car was $68,xxx which was very tempted. However, I wasn't sure about the Moonroof option. Also allocation for either M3 or M4 was pretty packed as demand here in CA is very high. So, my choice was contacting each dealer to check what they ordered or waiting 6 months to get the car here.

While I was at the Porsche dealership, I was 100% sure that I wanted something different. The condition of my CS was nearly new and options the car had were perfect enough to me, especially carbon fiber sport bucket seats. I myself think options are very important when buying a car. If you are not going to order your car, then I would suggest you to search current inventory of each dealer near you for both cars and see what make you feeling better

Last edited by Melek; 12-15-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough space, did vacation trips, took 2 golfbags, wife, other luggage.... It isn't too bad unless you insist on proper suitcases, will work fine with softer bags.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I do not have either, but I am also in the market for a Porsche, and I am coming from a BMW E46 M3. From an outsider to both cars I can share my free advice. hehehe.

Porsche is a two door SPORTS CAR. Storage room is there, but you have to get creative about storing items. BMW M4 is a CAR that feels sporty and has simple to use storage space - back seats fold down. As a plus you can carry other people in the rear of the car, not necessarily the case with a Cayman. (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/th...m4-88964.html#)

Reliability should be equally as good, since most cars today have really improved. (this shouldn't really be a question anymore). Everything will break or have faults which should already be taken into consideration.

Maintenance will be similar if you are buying someone else (i.e. dealer) to care for your vehicle. I imagine oil changes will be over hundred bucks, and brakes and rotors are about the same now that BMW finally stepped up their braking equipment.

Winter driving can be completed in both cars, but I have a feeling BMW might get the win here since BMW thinks buyers will use their cars in all weather conditions. Many more Porsche owners tend to have alternative vehicles that they use during the week and in inclement weather.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:28 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

no opinion on BMW, I have a newer cayman, before that a 991, before that a 993, before that a 944. To my taste the cayman is huge and comfortable - it is almost as long and only 1/2 inch narrower than a 911. It is fast but not sporty like a 356 (or a morgan). It has trunk space front and back, but to carry a large item you have to leave the hatch open. No opinion on snow. It is my daily driver, as were each of the other cars. so far, no reliability issues, just a few odd things (but much better many other cars)
Old 12-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Having owned several BMW's and currently a 987.2 Cayman S and a 991 Boxster I would agree with others, you need to drive both cars as they are very different. I would say the BMW is the more civilized daily driver. I would say neither will give you low cost of ownership for a 150,000 mile commuter and neither is a good car for the winter...

Quick Reply: Prospect Owner - Reliability and Maintenance Question