Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very seriously considering this car, tell me if i'm missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very seriously considering this car, tell me if i'm missing anything?

Hey guys,

I found what I think is a great deal on a 2015 base Cayman with 90 miles or so.

They had it listed at 60 or so and will sell it to me for $54,900. Is this a fair price? Are there any options I don't have that I should? I have mostly been considering 997s so I haven't looked into the 2015 options much.

Here's the sheet from the dealer, thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
Hey guys,

I found what I think is a great deal on a 2015 base Cayman with 90 miles or so.

They had it listed at 60 or so and will sell it to me for $54,900. Is this a fair price? Are there any options I don't have that I should? I have mostly been considering 997s so I haven't looked into the 2015 options much.

Here's the sheet from the dealer, thanks in advance for any help!
Not sure I understand completely-- this is a demo car they are going to discount by 10% off MSRP for you due to it having 90 miles on it? Are they giving you the 6-year/100K mile CPO warranty with it as a used car? That's the first question I would ask.

As far as the options, everyone likes different things for their car. Personally, I hate Sirius radio and would never want that again, for example. If you don't renew the subscription, they will badger you by phone and email for years! I like the PDK, PASM, SC & LSD on my car, and would be just as happy with the 4-way seats as the 14-way, but that's my preferences. If this list of options suits you and they will give you the CPO warranty, then go for it. But keep in mind that you could custom order a car completely to your tastes (or find another new one in stock somewhere that is closer to what you want) and still negotiate 6-8% off MSRP pretty easily, I think, so 10% off without the longer CPO warranty would not be that great a deal, IMHO.

Just my $.02, and worth everything you paid for it.
TT
Old 04-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Not sure I understand completely-- this is a demo car they are going to discount by 10% off MSRP for you due to it having 90 miles on it? Are they giving you the 6-year/100K mile CPO warranty with it as a used car? That's the first question I would ask.

As far as the options, everyone likes different things for their car. Personally, I hate Sirius radio and would never want that again, for example. If you don't renew the subscription, they will badger you by phone and email for years! I like the PDK, PASM, SC & LSD on my car, and would be just as happy with the 4-way seats as the 14-way, but that's my preferences. If this list of options suits you and they will give you the CPO warranty, then go for it. But keep in mind that you could custom order a car completely to your tastes (or find another new one in stock somewhere that is closer to what you want) and still negotiate 6-8% off MSRP pretty easily, I think, so 10% off without the longer CPO warranty would not be that great a deal, IMHO.

Just my $.02, and worth everything you paid for it.
TT
These are the types of opinions i'm looking for... as of right now they only offered me the 50k 4 year warranty, it would have been extra to add the 100k CPO.

For the sake of me understanding better, what is SC and LSD? I know PASM and I do like the idea of that but I was under the impression that the "sport mode" on this car did something similar to the suspension?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

These are the types of opinions i'm looking for... as of right now they only offered me the 50k 4 year warranty, it would have been extra to add the 100k CPO.

For the sake of me understanding better, what is SC and LSD? I know PASM and I do like the idea of that but I was under the impression that the "sport mode" on this car did something similar to the suspension?
Sorry for the shorthand. SC is Sport Chrono package, and LSD is for "Limited Slip Differential" which is part of the PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring) option package. Unless you get the PDK transaxle and PASM, the Sport Chrono is not that important.

Without the CPO warranty, 10% off is not that good a deal, IMHO. Ask them what kind of a discount off MSRP they would give you if you ordered exactly what you wanted. If this car has what you want, push back on them harder for a lower price or the CPO warranty, which is worth $2-3k. I see plenty of dealers selling demos or "executive" cars that have never been titled with the longer CPO warranty if they have more than delivery miles on them. If you want PASM or some other option or don't like the color, be patient and keep looking--there are other cars out there.
Good luck,
TT
Old 04-18-2015, 01:33 PM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, Demo's are sold as new cars, since they have never been titled to a buyer. How could it be CPO if it never had a previous owner? The factory warranty of 4/50 is a better deal, but you need to know when the "in service date" of the warranty started. The dealer knows that date. If these are the options you want and you really want the car, and you want it now, you may not find a better deal, without waiting. I bought a '11 Cayman with 17K/miles, one year of factory warranty left, with PCM, with Nav, USB, bluetooth, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel/mirrors, power seats/memory, Boxster II wheels. Options such as Limited Slip Differential (LSD) and PASM are not usually found on the Base. The S leans toward track and DE use.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2011guardsredcay
In my experience, Demo's are sold as new cars, since they have never been titled to a buyer. How could it be CPO if it never had a previous owner? The factory warranty of 4/50 is a better deal, but you need to know when the "in service date" of the warranty started. The dealer knows that date. If these are the options you want and you really want the car, and you want it now, you may not find a better deal, without waiting. I bought a '11 Cayman with 17K/miles, one year of factory warranty left, with PCM, with Nav, USB, bluetooth, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel/mirrors, power seats/memory, Boxster II wheels. Options such as Limited Slip Differential (LSD) and PASM are not usually found on the Base. The S leans toward track and DE use.

I'm just curious, why is the factory warranty a better deal than CPO?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

In my experience, Demo's are sold as new cars, since they have never been titled to a buyer. How could it be CPO if it never had a previous owner?
Well, I have had a different experience, then. I have seen dealers selling untitled demo cars with a 6-yr/100K mile CPO warranty as a "special" offer. They just pay for the extra warranty from PCNA and throw it in the deal to reassure the customer that the demo is "better than new" and hasn't been abused, I believe, even though it has only 100-500 miles on it. Personally, I would not buy a demo car without that assurance, since there is little doubt that a test driver might ignore following proper break-in procedures for a new car perfectly, like avoiding red-line shifts, especially without warming the engine oil up sufficiently.

TT
Old 04-18-2015, 05:38 PM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

I'm just curious, why is the factory warranty a better deal than CPO?
See this: http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...oved/warranty/
Assuming that the car you want has almost all of the 4 year 50K mile warranty left, based on the in service date, for what will probably be an additional $3K for the CPO you will get 2 years of additional warranty. If you bought an older CPO car that was out of warranty, you get 2 years warranty, or warranty until 50K miles. This almost new car already has almost 4 years warranty, assuming you take good care of it, any problems will most likely show up in 4 years. With very few demo miles, I would see no need to buy the CPO, and the dealer is very unlikely to throw that in for free. They will wait for someone to buy it with the existing warranty or pay for the CPO extension.

Last edited by 2011guardsredcay; 04-18-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

See this: http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...oved/warranty/
Assuming that the car you want has almost all of the 4 year 50K mile warranty left, based on the in service date, for what will probably be an additional $3K for the CPO you will get 2 years of additional warranty. If you bought an older CPO car that was out of warranty, you get 2 years warranty, or warranty until 50K miles. This almost new car already has almost 4 years warranty, assuming you take good care of it, any problems will most likely show up in 4 years. With very few demo miles, I would see no need to buy the CPO, and the dealer is very unlikely to throw that in for free. They will wait for someone to buy it with the existing warranty or pay for the CPO extension.
Thank you. From what they've told me, I would have to pay extra for the CPO.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I wouldn't get too worried about the warranty and I agree it should come with the "new car" warranty . I bought a similar demo in late 2007, a base Cayman. Options look O.K. to me, I would be inclined to give the dealer a lower counter offer.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Just by point of reference, many people on Planet 9, including me, have gotten 8% discount on new Caymans -- 9% in Southern California. So, 10% on a "used" car -- yes only 90 miles, but still used -- is not actually that great. Not bad considering the miles, but not great either.....
Old 04-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Just by point of reference, many people on Planet 9, including me, have gotten 8% discount on new Caymans -- 9% in Southern California. So, 10% on a "used" car -- yes only 90 miles, but still used -- is not actually that great. Not bad considering the miles, but not great either.....
Well, at 90 miles, and a demo car, it is not "used". It is an in-stock car that has been driven 90 miles. Not at all unusual for any car a dealer has in stock. Really, it is about as new (miles-wise) as you will probably find on a lot unless you order from the factory.
I have not shopped the new Cayman market, but based upon what others are noting about 8-9% off of "new" vehicles, I think getting 10-13% off on this one would be about all you could reasonably push for.
Push harder though if you want, and if you are ready to walk away if it doesn't fly.
But, if this is not "the car", I would say wait for the right one.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 PM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I wouldn't get too worried about the warranty and I agree it should come with the "new car" warranty . I bought a similar demo in late 2007, a base Cayman. Options look O.K. to me, I would be inclined to give the dealer a lower counter offer.
This is my thought also. How often has anyone bought a new car, even one you ordered, with 0 miles? This is a new car. If this is the one you want, push for more off. You may gain a little more. If the in service date will start when you buy it, which is usually the case, you will have the full new car factory warranty. Are you willing to buy a CPO because it was driven 90 miles, on top of the factory warranty? How long of a warranty do you need to feel OK about the 90 miles; 4 years, 6 years, 8 years? How do you intend to use a Cayman would drive whether it has the options you need. It seems that you are close to deciding. Good luck. Let us know what you decided.

Quick Reply: Very seriously considering this car, tell me if i'm missing anything?