Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Cayman S better an Audi S4 on the track and a Z in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Can a Cayman S better an Audi S4 on the track and a Z in the garage?

Hey guys. First post.

I really like the S and GTS versions of the Cayman. I have a 2012 Audi S4 that I track regularly at Road Atlanta. It's my family sedan that I slap R888s on and pull 1:42-1:44 laps at Road Atlanta consistently. Many mods on it yet still CPO.

Check out my red hot rotors around 15 and 50secs

I also see this Cayman S with similar lap times and I've passed a few Caymans on the track.

I've got this old 240z, recent paint. Always wanted a Z but maybe now it's time to make room for a Porsche in the garage.

If I want to sell the Z and get a Cayman. Will it be a better track car than my S4?

Should I invest in track mods on the Cayman or go full 911? Don't want to settle for a Porsche Cayman S if it's only one step above the S4 or just barely equal.

If I find a CPO Cayman, how far can I mod before warranty risks?

The also 911 offers back seats. My Z can't carry my 2 kids. Damn rational and practical thinking over Porsche dreams!

Last edited by GeoJoe; 02-02-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Yes, a mid-engine sports car will be a much better track car than a heavy, all-wheel-drive sedan.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
exacc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best guess...tt may take more seat time to maximize the Cayman, and I would assume it is also more sensitive to alignment and set up changes...therefore, you might not be quicker out of the box, but with more practice and seat time, you will eventually be.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

B8 with flash/pulley and sticky tires is fast but I think that you'd find moving to a Cayman to be an interesting learning curve. 1000lbs lighter, mid-engine, normally aspirated and without all the HP you'll be working on maintaining pace versus relying on Quattro grip and lots of hp and torque. Different experience. As far as lap times, who knows. Since winning the DE isn't really an objective I'd say try a Cayman. Lots of other treads on Cayman vs 911 but both are clearly entertaining.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether it is a Cayman or 911 for you, that's down to personal preference. For me it's the Cayman, I struggle with the 911, but Cayman is my third mid engine car in a row. Audi (R)S4 never struck me as a track car, some more twisty courses will be heavy on brakes and tires. That's a positive about Porsche, they still eat consumables but at a lower pace.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks a for the replies guys. My Audi can definitely eat through brakes and tires. However it is still on OEM chip and not tuned due to the dreaded TD1 designation that Audi will apply if you tune it, which presents warranty issues. I'm trying to stay CPO on this one.

Does Porsche have a similar setup? Tune your Cayman and void your warranty? How far can you mod before you risk losing CPO?

Quick Reply: Can a Cayman S better an Audi S4 on the track and a Z in the garage?