Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX

hi everyone,

I just bought a 2006 Cayman S and I absolutely love the car. I had originally planned to install a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EX/AVH-4000NEX) because I like having Waze, Carplay, etc... But as I started driving the car and using the Bose stereo, I thought the sound quality was actually pretty good. Also, I am not 100% sure anymore that I want to put that big touchscreen in there because as I am discovering the car, I feel that it might distract from the main attraction which is the awesome driving experience.

Still... to get to my actual question.. I really don't know much about car stereos in general. If I replace the Bose stereo with the Pioneer above, can I keep the same speakers? Will the audio quality be at least as good? Better maybe?

Has anybody installed a similar stereo in an older cayman? How well does it integrate?

Thanks!

Franck-
Old 09-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FranckDG
hi everyone, I just bought a 2006 Cayman S and I absolutely love the car. I had originally planned to install a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EX/AVH-4000NEX) because I like having Waze, Carplay, etc... But as I started driving the car and using the Bose stereo, I thought the sound quality was actually pretty good. Also, I am not 100% sure anymore that I want to put that big touchscreen in there because as I am discovering the car, I feel that it might distract from the main attraction which is the awesome driving experience. Still... to get to my actual question.. I really don't know much about car stereos in general. If I replace the Bose stereo with the Pioneer above, can I keep the same speakers? Will the audio quality be at least as good? Better maybe? Has anybody installed a similar stereo in an older cayman? How well does it integrate? Thanks! Franck-

Contact Loi at Euro Motorspeed. I have no affiliation. He sells via ebay, but also has his own websiite that is under construction but does list a phone #. I purchased double din kit from him along with a Pioneer Radio and Bose integration kit. He was kind enough to preconnect the radio wiring to the bose integration kit, so it was basically plug and play. I had to make a few simple connections. It sounds far better than then original head unit that came with the car. His customer service is awesome.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

Thanks for the tip Lou! I went to AL & Ed Autosound here in LA and they claim to have the only Double-Din kit with the exact matching bezel color. They want to charge me a total of $2,200 for the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX ($700) + kit ($300) + Bose Integration Kit ($700) + Install ($300) + App Support installation ($150). How much did you pay? Did you install it yourself and was it easy?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not spend that much or even close to that. I installed it myself with the help from Euromotorspeed's kindness in wiring the head unit to the adaptor before they shipped it to me. I only had to make a few connections myself. The most time consuming part was taking the console apart. I repeat my recommendation that you call Loi.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:04 PM
msflanag
7th Gear

Default 2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX

I paid the same for a NEX 8000 plus the Denen adapter pluse install. It is in a 2009 cayman. Love the unit. it has car play, gps, Bluetooth phone and music, Pandora, and I had XM antenna installed. You need a Iphone 5 or higher to make the system seamless. I'm selling my original unit with nav, Bluetooth phone, disk player.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 PM
sum008
1st Gear

Yes, would recommend the Pioneer NEX 8000, its a great car radio and now with Carplay firmware update on Pioneer units its' even better UI (i.e, if you are in the Apple Ecosystem). Everything works, Carplay, Nav (are capacitive screen display...like your iPhone screen), AppRadio, HDMI (if you need it), XM (haven't hooked it up yet), BT Audio/stream, music. Also, got a iPhone 6 custom dock in the center ashtray with lightning cable. All integrated well.

Had it all custom installed on my new 14 Cayenne Diesel. Will keep my original CDR (basic radio) to swap back to it if I decide to change the cayenne in few years.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by msflanag
I paid the same for a NEX 8000 plus the Denen adapter pluse install. It is in a 2009 cayman. Love the unit. it has car play, gps, Bluetooth phone and music, Pandora, and I had XM antenna installed. You need a Iphone 5 or higher to make the system seamless. I'm selling my original unit with nav, Bluetooth phone, disk player.
How much for the PCM?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Deleted non-member ad.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 09-22-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Need to be a member to sell or buy.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:08 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

@Lou D: Thanks for the tip! I got in touch with Loi and I am going to move forward with them.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM
FranckDG
8th Gear

I ended up going with Loi @ Euro Motorspeed as recommended by Lou. He did all the wiring for me and helped me over the phone through the install process. I ended up paying $1,250 total (the kit from Loi + the 4000NEX) which is a $1,000 saving over what Al & Ed's Autosound quoted me originally. I've been using my new stereo for 3 months now and didn't have a single issue. Highly recommended!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:40 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

FrankDG do you ave any pictures of the install?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Installation photos

George, here are some photos from when I installed a Pioneer in my 09 CS a few years ago. The big black connector is the one from Loi, plugs into the black plug in the car.
Note: I believe the car's antenna is powered but there is no lead for it on Loi's connector. Hence, radio reception is very poor.
Have fun,
Bern
Attached Images           
Old 09-21-2016, 06:54 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

Looks very clean.

Do you get glare in the sun?
Is it possible to fix the antenna reception?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:43 PM
motherFNbrandon
3rd Gear

the new pioneer units look very good and the bezel looks like it matches the factory finish nicely. too bad the most integration basically doubles the price of the install
Old 10-08-2016, 09:09 PM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

I recently installed an AVH-4000NEX

How can I get the steering wheel to control the volume?

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayman Stereo vs Pioneer AVH-4000NEX