Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 981 owners have rattles from rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:01 PM
funtodrive
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine rattles too. It's only been a few day since I go mine. Did not think it was a common problem until I read a good number of other owners experiencing it as well.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems the noise is caused by the rear hatch itself moving slightly. I've adjusted the little rubber feet on the underside at the base and it is vastly improved now.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:26 PM
ahh01010
7th Gear

Default Solutions?

Hi TTRob,

Do you have a solution to this tinkling noise rattle?

Originally Posted by TTRob
My cayman has a sound that could be described as a tiny bell or, to my ear, a chirp/squeak. It's not too loud but definitely audible, very annoying. In my car, it is coming from the right rear shock absorber. If I get in the hatch area and move my weight up and down, I hear a light chirp or squeak as the shock moves in the up direction. It sounds like an air whistle type noise. It enters the cabin from the trim panel seams surrounding the rear shock tower area. I was able to stop the noise from entering the cabin by sealing up these seams. I used thin, back tennis grip wrap for the seam just to the right of the oil fill. I then used some old black leather for the seam that runs up the C pillar. Thankfully, there are no handling issues, the shock is just a bit noisy.

I've since read on Planet9 that an owner had a similar noise and had the shock replaced under warranty. Not sure I want to go that route yet (sometimes ripping apart a new car unintentionally causes another issue). So far the noise is being contained with the windows up and it's not heard entering from the outside when they're down. If the noise gets worse or the car's handling becomes affected, then I'll take it in.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Chewbaccam
4th Gear

None from the rear hatch, just a squeak from the driver side plastic door handle under certain bumps.

Quick Reply: Any 981 owners have rattles from rear hatch?