Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership distance

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 PM
P514ever
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership distance

I'm thinking of buying a new Cayman. The problem is, if it's a problem, that the dealership is 100 miles away. Can anyone think of any problems in owning a Cayman that far away from the dealer?
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Perhaps post to the Cayman forum.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cars now days [even po.s ]are pretty dependable so unless ya get a lemon that has to go back once a month...no biggie
Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Even with a new Cayman, issues are bound to come up so I would plan on a couple trips in your first year.

If you want a Cayman, you really do not have any other options do you?

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check with the dealer, some will do pickup and drop off for free even long distances. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Cayman with the only hang up being the distance of the dealership.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my Mini from a dealer 80 miles away (the closest dealer I wanted to use) and it is a bit of a pain. Luckily they have good waiting areas (plural, so I can find one not blasting Judge Judy) so I bring my laptop and keep working.
They are also good about loaners.
Luckily the car has been dead reliable; if the car couldn't be driven getting it there would be a hell of an aggravation but that would be really unusual in a modern car, as another poster noted.
Luckily my race car mechanic is 2 miles from my house, and he could bail me out. And I have my race trailer, I suppose.
I'll bet there are lots of Porsche owners 100+ miles from a dealer.
Of course, when I get the 'we don't have the part/keeping it overnight I may not be as laid back about this.
Buy the car!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by P514ever
I'm thinking of buying a new Cayman. The problem is, if it's a problem, that the dealership is 100 miles away. Can anyone think of any problems in owning a Cayman that far away from the dealer?
Only if the car proves to be a lemon and you are having to run the car back to the dealer lots.

Odds are the car will be just fine, though.

I bought an 02 Boxster from a dealer around 50 miles away from me.

This proved to not be a problem. The car only required one unscheduled visit and that was to address an RMS leak while under warranty. I received a loaner car.

I can't recall what I did for services. I seem to remember at scheduled services getting a loaner but that was too long ago. Scheduled services -- mainly oil/filter services -- were only scheduled every 15K miles (30K miles for the filter, though of course, I insisted the filter be renewed along with the oil) but I did the oil/filter services myself every 5K miles. I'd stock up on parts and oil when I was at the or passing by the dealer so I'd have these handy for when I did the servicing.

If there is a serious problem you should have Porsche Roadside Assistance so the car will be picked up and transported to the dealer.

After the warranty expired the car developed a problem that proved to be the AOS. To be safe -- the SM advised me to *not* drive the car in this suspected condition -- I had the car flat bedded to the dealer. Cost around $100. Much later further away the 2nd AOS went out and I had the car flat bedded to the same dealer, but from almost 100 miles away and it cost me around $150. Not the end of the world though I'd not want to do this too often.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 AM
raneeya
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finish up your navy tour of duty, go to law school or med school, get a house, pay off your loans, raise up some kids, make sure their college is paid for, then start shopping. 2008 911 Turbo should be well in your price range by then.

http://www.learn-english-online.org/

Last edited by raneeya; 04-03-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a cayman from a dealer in Philly and I live in Chicago. Have no concerns as I will have the Porsche dealers in Chicago do the servicing on my car. The dealers make money on warranty and other service work thus your local dealer regardless if you bought the car from them wants to do the service and keep you happy.

Now if the only dealer is 100 miles away, ask the dealer if there are any issues if they will Flat Bed the car from your home to the dealer for free.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts

Nope, I have a 2015 Cayman S and live an easy 85 miles from the dealer, never gave it a second thought. IIRC new purchase cars have roadside assistance for towing, etc. for a period after you buy the car. IF there is a problem based on my experience the dealer will make sure your car gets taken care of promptly, especially on a new purchase.
I live in S.W. MS. and the dealer is in New Orleans.

Quick Reply: Dealership distance