Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK "trans run warning" Red

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

So the dealer originally said it was low fluid level in the PDK wet side and in need of a reprogramming. Turns out now Porsche is saying they want the gearbox. Dealer is dancing a little telling me that the Guard LSD may have voided my warranty.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Cayman Rs equipped with the PDK had a std OEM LSD. It was in the same housing with the PDK, only separated by a thin piece of sheet metal from the tranny inerts. Those trannys had overheating issues on the track in high OATs and/or altitudes (CO PCA advises against running in Sport Plus during their events - known issue to them). AFAIK Porsche has had the PDK overheat issue at least once with their factory drivers at their ALA track on a 987 Cayman.

HTH
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Bill,

I just chimed in on this thread. Please call me as I want to be brought up to speed. I sold you the LSD, I am the one that gave you the confidence in PDK...let me help you get through this. Call me and let's talk, as I have not been on Rennlist in a few days. Sorry.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Bill,

I just chimed in on this thread. Please call me as I want to be brought up to speed. I sold you the LSD, I am the one that gave you the confidence in PDK...let me help you get through this. Call me and let's talk, as I have not been on Rennlist in a few days. Sorry.
John, hey I don't think the LSD caused the problem. There are 3-4 guys using Cayman's with PDK here in CO that also have LSD (other brands) and have not had the issue I had. Also, there was an old stored code (prior to me purchasing the car) that showed a gear selection fault that they could never duplicate. In fact, the dealer has two Cayman's with PDK that they use a PCA DE events and other than high coolant and diff temps, they haven't seen a problem. The dealer is also a sponsor of some of the local PCA drivers Ed events!

I'll try and give you a call this week when I get better info from the dealer.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Update:

Porsche is going to replace the trans under the extended CPO warranty. For reference, I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue as i have learned of a few already.

Would be nice to compare notes and I don't think this indicts the PDK transmission as each model has had some issues in years past. 964's, 993's, 944's etc. The bigger issue is how a solution is developed and how the aftermarket addresses the issue, if in fact there is a big enough aftermarket for the potential problem. I'm sure there are problems with manual trans from time to time, least of which is an over rev due to missed downshift. So, stuff happens.

I'm still a big fan of the PDK and I think Porsche has already sorted out a solution, but we'll never really know.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Update:

Porsche is going to replace the trans under the extended CPO warranty. For reference, I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue as i have learned of a few already.

Would be nice to compare notes and I don't think this indicts the PDK transmission as each model has had some issues in years past. 964's, 993's, 944's etc. The bigger issue is how a solution is developed and how the aftermarket addresses the issue, if in fact there is a big enough aftermarket for the potential problem. I'm sure there are problems with manual trans from time to time, least of which is an over rev due to missed downshift. So, stuff happens.

I'm still a big fan of the PDK and I think Porsche has already sorted out a solution, but we'll never really know.
Any update on this? Looking to build a PDK track car and looking to see if anyone has actually solve this problem?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Okay...I spent a month or two with a car here in the shop that had a similar problem. Things were fine and then BOOM, neutral every now and again! I re-calibrated the unit and it was okay but after checking the fluid level, and removing too much of the PDK fluid it needed another calibration. Someone somewhere had dug up a list of PDK failures. I am not sure if it is on Planet-9 or what. We did some maintenance to the car and it ran Daytona flawlessly, once it was fixed. I however am waiting to see how it does at Sebring before I feel really good about it. We have done everything. There are those that say that some of the early generation PDK units were burning up the valve bodies in the transmission and that's why they were getting replaced if they could not resolve it using traditional measures. That car #621 goes to Sebring Wednesday. The owner is on here somewhere. I will report more afterwards if someone can ping me a reminder.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^that´s my dad cayman. We will be there for PBOC race on friday to sunday.

If anyone wants to see the car, feel free to come.

I will also have a nice set of new fabspeed race headers for 987.2 cayman if anyone wants to purchase them.

And some jrz triple suspension for 997 cars
Old 02-11-2015, 07:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

So my issue with my CS PDK was that after four 20-minute sessions on a 65 degree day I got both a check engine light (CEL) along with the Transmission Emergency Run (TER) light. When the TER light, came on the car would drive fine and go into drive, park, and neutral but when it shifted it felt like the car was cutting fuel and the car would bog down for a 1-2 seconds on the upshifts and then proceed (less so on the downshifts). With the TER light, the car would not go into Sport or Sport Plus mode and I'd get a message on the dash saying Sport Mode Failure. When I restart the car I get the CEL light come on right away and the car shifts just fine until the TER comes on later (or sometimes not at all on my drive). I have it at my shop to read the codes. I'll have them reset it and see what happens when I drive it around. If the lights come back, off to the dealer.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

John, I emailed, PMed, and left you a message at the shop. Give me a call when you have a chance. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Ok, had my shop pull the fault codes...here they are (they tried to reset them but they came right back)...

Old 10-23-2016, 10:56 AM
robgts
Instructor

New post: I have a 2012 997 Carrera GTS I track a lot. After my last run at Laguna Seca the trans would not shift into reverse. I took it home and drove on the street where the red trans light came on and it went into limp mode. I have a guard LSD in the car. Not sure if that caused it but it sure is a big coincidence. Is there a remap of the ecu to tell the computer that it now has an LSD? Not sure about that one.
Porsche Newport Beach replaced the trans under CPO warranty. I am adding a trans cooler next week...
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Caymancactus
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans run warning

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Yes, relatively stock cars. Maybe a few suspension or brake mods. No crazy power mods or anything.

No idea of what failed. Porsche replaced the entire transmission and the defective one was sent to Germany for evaluation. The dealer never heard anything back from them.
my name is mike and my 2011 s that i just bought has this issue my side shop says overheating codes and i need a new tranny. Do you know if porsche is going to cover any of the 11,000 plus bill? Please call me if you can 443 465 7089 mike thanks i need help
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Caymancactus
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans run warning

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Yes, relatively stock cars. Maybe a few suspension or brake mods. No crazy power mods or anything.

No idea of what failed. Porsche replaced the entire transmission and the defective one was sent to Germany for evaluation. The dealer never heard anything back from them.
i got this on my 2011 cs I bought this past summer overheat codes are present my side shop say I need a new tranny 11,000 plus labor my heart is pounding can anyone tell me what to do? Is porsche going to help me at all? My name is mike please call me if you can 443 465 7089 its at porsche dealer now I need somebody to talk to any help appreciated i hope they will replace it no charge since this is a know problem.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:39 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Mike, I'm afraid there's probably not much anyone can help you. Is the transmission still running and it's just over heating? On the street or the track? I'd start by getting a second opinion from a dealership and consider a cooler setup if it's on the track.

Quick Reply: PDK "trans run warning" Red