Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for this Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay for this Cayman S?

Hey all

Trying to get an idea of what's a fair price to pay for a 2006 Cayman S--but one that is crazy loaded, not only w/ factory options, but a lot performance mods from TPC Racing. Literally might be $20k or more of options & mods. (The ceramic brakes alone were $7k.)

Mileage: 69k

2006 Porsche Cayman S w/ Carbon Brakes -
Black on Black
6-speed manual transmission
Upgraded Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
19" Beautiful Aluminum Wheels
HID headlights
Premium Navigation (Pioneer), sound system, bluetooth audio and phone
Premium Bose Speakers
Sport Chrono Package
Heated Seats
Automatic Climate Control
Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
Traction Control (ASR)
Speed Yellow Seat Belts
Upgraded aftermarket Bilstein Suspension (upgrades performed by TPC Racing)
Upgraded exhaust and plenum (upgrades performed by TPC Racing)
Upgraded clutch and shifter (upgrades performed by TPC Racing)
Upgraded GT Throttle Body (upgrades performed by TPC Racing)

Thoughts?

Thx in advance.
Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

The Excellence buyers guide shows $28-34k for a 2006 CS. The conventional thinking is that options and especially mods add little to the value, typically just a fraction of their actual cost. At that age and mileage, service history would be important- did it have the major 60k service for example. Also has the water pump been replaced? Another way to think of the options/mods pricing is if you took the Excellence guide value of 28k and added 20k mods, then you are at 48k and that should buy a 2009 or later 987.2 with a nicer interior and the newer 9A1 DFI engine. Hope that is useful and good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

These are some very nice options but you should be able to get this car for about $30k.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

low twenties ...and that is if you have to have it...have a large just in case fund set aside.imo
Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Extanker--you saying that b/c you suspect some heft repair bills could be in line?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM
extanker
Banned

yep
Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Markoneus
Intermediate

And yes, aware of what the guides say, but I'm wondering what real world buyers who've recently seen purchases of this actual year & model would say it can be had for. The guy is actually asking 30 (about what you're saying is fair), but a few friends think 06 Caymans are really falling in value right now, and maybe this could be had for $25k. On Cars.com, you see a lot of 06's going for $21-26k now (and that's just asking price--who knows what they might let it go for), though they def have far fewer options.

One example:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ngId=134072276
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Sorry, can't help with recent sales. I do think they will continue to depreciate. The new 981 contributing to that. Stating the obvious, but in the end each sale comes down to willing seller/ willing buyer. If you like the car and the due dilligence (carfax, PPI) checks out pitch an offer in the 20s. Agree you should have a few grand set aside for things like water pump, AOS, etc. Have you considered 09+? I've had 2 of those and they are good cars. So far the DFI engine seems to have a good reliability record. For the example you listed, I think the color combo works against that one. Best of luck
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Thx for the perspective, ZedCat. As for having driven an '09, the only Cayman I've driven, actually, is a 2012 Cayman R, which I realize is a bit of a boost over an '06 S. But still, the essence of that car oughta be roughly the same. Will test drive the car before making an offer, of course. Do you think getting the fear of a IMS failure in the 987.1's is real enough to warrant playing it safe w/ an '09? (The $10k more for an '09 is just a little harder to pull together.)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
extanker
Banned

do a long road test...you may not like the "upgraded" suspension. how do you intend to use this car ? DD /week ender/garage queen neighbor impressor /tracker/street romper ?.find out if it has a light weight flywheel[engine vibration]. will you use/need that type of brakes
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Markoneus
Intermediate

This would be a weekend car for now, but perhaps more down the road if I leave the NYC area. Mostly it'd be for weekend trips to Hudson Valley, or Long Island, or week-long trips to ME & VT. But yes, some tracking (Watkins, Lime Rock, NHIS) would be in order. Stiffer suspension could be a bit much w/ all the crappy roads in NY, but I feel it's worth it to have such a rewarding car once in the twisties.

Still open to thoughts on the IMS failure fear. Some say don't even bother w/ a pre-'09, others say the IMS failure is pretty rare, not likely to happen to you.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
extanker
Banned

it scared me enough to buy a new one in 09 [gen2]. you can hold out for a low optioned [pdk]09 base in the low 30,s. it will hold its own against a gen 1 s. riding on 17 inch rims/tires will smooth out the road
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Markoneus
Thx for the perspective, ZedCat. As for having driven an '09, the only Cayman I've driven, actually, is a 2012 Cayman R, which I realize is a bit of a boost over an '06 S. But still, the essence of that car oughta be roughly the same. Will test drive the car before making an offer, of course. Do you think getting the fear of a IMS failure in the 987.1's is real enough to warrant playing it safe w/ an '09? (The $10k more for an '09 is just a little harder to pull together.)
I had a 09 2.9L and currently a Cayman R, so I'm biased to the 987.2. If I were entering the used market I would look for a 987.2. The IMSB is a conundrum- so much written about it and no comprehensive data that I've seen. From reading the boards the failure rate on 987.1 seems low but that's just anecdotal. Then you have a tech writer for Excellence or Pano? (can't recall) saying they'll all fail. And to upgrade the bearing in an M97 you have to split the engine cases. I also have a 986 Boxster and the IMSB was enough of a concern I had it replaced with the LNE bearing which can be done with a clutch change in the M96.

Beyond the IMSB, the 9A1 has other improvements - DFI in the S and better oiling (987.1s reported oil starvation with heavy track use). Availability of the PDK is a consideration if you prefer an auto box. There were some suspension improvements and some interior changes.

Best I can suggest is to drive several and see what you think.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

It's always easy to say that a newer car is better and more reliable. Of course it is but it will be more expensive. This car has some very nice options but you should drive it to make sure it works for you.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default Cayman S

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
These are some very nice options but you should be able to get this car for about $30k.
When I saw the question in the thread $30k was the first number that flashed, with out and comps research. To be safe I would plan on more than the 10% contingency fund per year that I allot just with the PCCB's alone. A PPI if you are serious, of course. There may be some discount to be had in negotiating with the seller. The answer is always no if you don't ask.

Be safe and happy hunting. Let us know if you get it.
Patty

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for this Cayman S?