Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 C4S to Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts
Default 997.2 C4S to Cayman GTS

Gents currently have a 2009 C4S and have owned a number of 911's (base 997.1 then 997.2S and now the C4S). Its a great car and I enjoy it but in terms of practicality of use and styling and I hate to say performance I am thinking the new Cayman S and possible GTS variants seem to make the gap smaller between the two. The new aesthetics and what they've done in updating the car seem to make it so much closer to the last version 911 that an upgrade [wow did I say that] to a Cayman S or GTS is a real possibility for me. Interested in anyone else who has encountered the same..especially an current 2014 Cayman buyers...what influenced you and how do you like your choices, options etc.

PS...I did drive the 991S already and its gotten way larger and upscale than the 997.2 than I am comfortable. Couldn't justify the price and for what it was still an awesome sport cars it seemed more blended to a GT to me. I'd get a Vantage V8 or maybe even the new Jag F1 coupe or a few others before I'd go there. Just didn't feel it like I had my other 911's. Rob
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rob -

I told you in email, I wouldn't move the C4S for any Cayman.... 997s are going to be treasured. That said, I got some inside scoop today. There will be no R for this generation of Cayman - the GTS will be the top ticket. Once I get more info, I'll let you know. Personally, I'd only wait for the GTS...

Take care man!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The only way to know is drive both. Personally, I prefer the 997 and 987.

I'd also consider the V8 Vantage and Jag F-type to be GT cars like the 911.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Fwiw someone on planet 9 already is on the list for a new cayman GTS so...is possible, it should be able to really get one in March it sounds like....

Anyhow I have a 2014 Cayman S. I was coming from a boxster s 2003 so the power bump was significant for me. I test drove other cars including a 997 GTS. That was fast. Made the cayman seem verrrry slow. Heh. But I wanted something new with new warranty and I liked the cayman styling. Mostly I wasn't used to the rear engine feel and preferred the handling. Honestly for public streets I feel like my car is fast enough for general driving and being able to row thru the gears at least a little bit. I do wish it had more torque. Headers and an ecu tune might fix all that... The GTS cayman won't be more than a tune will hopefully get you...tho tunes seem to be a ways away still... Anyhow as someone said I'd test drive both.

It's funny you mentioned the size as to me the 981 cayman feels huge compared to my old 986. My other gripe is electronic steering...tho I have mostly accepted it. It is REALLY good but definitely less feel...

Test drive em... You might find power loss unacceptable?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had two 993s -- not a 997, but a 911. While I loved the 993s, I have always preferred mid-engine cars from a design point of view. And, frankly, the 911s look dated to me. I guess 50 years takes its toll. And the interiors are not what I would expect from a car in its price range. The 981 cures all these ills. It handles as a mid-engine should, has a great interior IMO, and performs splendidly. If you crave power, a GTS may be worth the wait. It wasn't for me, as I don't want the other options said to be included other than the bigger engine and (although I'd love the 3.8) the 325 horses of an "S" in that lightweight body are fine for my needs.

Come over to the dark side. Our cars handle better....
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

The 981 GTS has just a 10hp bump over the S model. I don't know if it closes the gap as much as you think it might. But a test drive will be the deciding factor I think.

I'm guessing that if you had a 997.2 C2 GTS, you wouldn't be in this dilemma.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Btw I should also mention the interior of the new cars are really nice. There is something good about having an updated setup with new electronics and gadgets like the multi function display in the gauge cluster. And overall the car doesn't feel as dated. But you will have to be ok with not owning the "911". I've gotten used to the naysayers heh. IMHO people who know what's up give the cayman the credit it deserves in its own right, but you might find that change surprising. The new styling is cool and my car definitely turns heads (being red and with PSE helps) ... It's been mistaken for the new 911 and a ferrari before....
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Rob -

I told you in email, I wouldn't move the C4S for any Cayman.... 997s are going to be treasured. That said, I got some inside scoop today. There will be no R for this generation of Cayman - the GTS will be the top ticket. Once I get more info, I'll let you know. Personally, I'd only wait for the GTS...

Take care man!
Chris...thanks I got your email! LOL I wanted to hear from folks who have 981 Caymans too! LOL Yeah the 997s are still 911's the way you and I are used to them...I see the 991 going in a slightly different direction from a sport vs GT standpoint like we discussed. As for the C4S vs the Cayman GTS I'll have to line em up and see what I think pros/cons and drive and then make a choice but it is crazy as more and more reviews I read are basically taking the point that the 911 is still king but more from tradition and then the other intangibles from those who just can't have anything lesser from an image standpoint in their garages...but from a performance standpoint and size/functionality a lot of auto reviews are asking the question of the Cayman S "do you really need a 911" with it as an alternative. I think the GTS will even more blur that question and if they ever did an R...then it would quite possible surpass at least the base 991 now. Interesting times my friend!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You really need to drive the cars and see how you feel about them. I've always liked 911s, but for the most part my interest in them is largely the air cooled models a 3.2 Carrera or a 993. That being said, when we started to seriously consider a 981 Cayman S or Boxster S, we test drove those and we test drove a 997.2S that had just been traded an only had 8,000 miles and was in nearly new condition. We took it out and drove it. It looks like a 911, and you have that classic rear weight bias. It was quick in a straight line, but it felt a bit heavy and ponderous compared to the 981S Cayman/Boxster. They just felt more nimble and fun in corners. I think if I hadn't driven a 981 Cayman S & Boxster S, and I were just going from test driving my old 987S the 997.2S might have checked the right boxes for me. But somehow the Mrs. and I both got out of the 997.2S, and we just weren't as impressed as we thought we would be. The 911 "cache" wasn't quite enough to make us say its the car for us. We thought the Cayman S or Boxster S provided a more fun driving experience (for us). Your feelings could be completely different. Its a bit like asking someone if a particular shoe is a good fit, it might be great for one person and not so comfortable for another person. We also drove a 991 and a 991 C4S. The base 991 didn't interest us in the least...the 991C4S is nice...but its larger than we really wanted, more GT car, and for the $$$, I could order a Cayman S the way I want it and still have a good chunk of change left if I wanted to someday get a 3.2 Carrera or 993 (both of which I adore).

The 997.2S and the 991 C4S were fun cars, it was simply that we really connected with the 981S and it pushed all the right buttons for us. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ooops...guess I should have mentioned we ordered and already took delivery of a 981 Cayman S.

Last edited by Dino944; 02-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:23 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Ahh, the 911 cache. I've spent a lot of time on the 993 board and, as I'm sure is true on the other 911 boards here, they are populated by two types of owners: those who love 911s and those who love sports cars. I'm the latter. Nothing wrong -- and many things right -- with loving 911s. And if you do, get a 987.2. I thought about a 987.2 GTS long and hard before coming over to the dark side. The GTS would probably be a better investment (especially in the trim I would have waited for -- 4wheel drive, 6 speed, maybe even a cab....). But I'm not in love with rear-engined cars.

Long way of sayin' at night if you close your eyes and see a 911, don't come over here. If you close your eyes and see a sports car, welcome to the dark side. If you close your eyes and see Scarlet Johansonn -- hey, get the hell out of my dream. I was here first!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Ahh, the 911 cache. I've spent a lot of time on the 993 board and, as I'm sure is true on the other 911 boards here, they are populated by two types of owners: those who love 911s and those who love sports cars. I'm the latter....

Long way of sayin' at night if you close your eyes and see a 911, don't come over here. If you close your eyes and see a sports car, welcome to the dark side. If you close your eyes and see Scarlet Johansonn -- hey, get the hell out of my dream. I was here first!!!!
Hi Inkatouring,

Not sure if since I mentioned "911 Cache" in my post that the above post was targeted at me. I realized I never specifically told the OP in my post, that we did order and take delivery of a 981 Cayman S. So in case the above was for me...we already crossed over to the "Dark side."

I get the whole "911 Cache"...that some people feel, but I just don't feel it at least not regarding recent models. For some reason I really only see the older air cooled cars as having "The 911 cache." But maybe that's just me.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dino944
I get the whole "911 Cache"...that some people feel, but I just don't feel it at least not regarding recent models. For some reason I really only see the older air cooled cars as having "The 911 cache." But maybe that's just me.
Well, the 993s are clearly the only car worthy of the 911 cache. Unless you think it is the short hoods. Or maybe the original long hoods. But certainly nothing with a water pump. Unless you like the ones with water pumps. But if you do, certainly not a 996. Unless....

In all seriousness, I'm old enough to remember 914s when introduced and understand why people didn't consider them "real" Porsches. But certainly Caymans are real Porsches and the 981 is pretty damn close to surpassing the 911, and does for my needs/wants from a sports car.

I also remember when people didn't consider the Dino 246 a "real" Ferrari.

People can be idiots....
Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM
mcomet
Instructor

Love it!

BTW just going to add... not sure where you live, but if you have twisty back roads, the Cayman is fantastic for fun sporty drives and is so tossable and directable and yet stable it's crazy. I was on Highway 1 a few weeks back for a weekend drive and I literally started giggling out loud at one point... heh.

I do think the right answer is a Cayman S for fun modern sports car driving, and then an old air cooled for the classic 911 fulfillment... if only I had the garage space and $$.. hehe..
Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 PM
simon85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who own the 981 S, you can already tune it with FVD brombacher in Florida. It's the basic tuning only (15hp, ecu tuning, not a chip like TPC). It's a 15hp bump on a stock car. In a few weeks, more advanced tunings will be available (+air filters, +exhaust+headers...). 360hp will be easy to get.

I personally have the BMC air filter and the FVD sound exhaust. I already have the GTS hp bump without any ecu tuning... And that for 3k...
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simon85
For those who own the 981 S, you can already tune it with FVD brombacher in Florida. It's the basic tuning only (15hp, ecu tuning, not a chip like TPC). It's a 15hp bump on a stock car. In a few weeks, more advanced tunings will be available (+air filters, +exhaust+headers...). 360hp will be easy to get.

I personally have the BMC air filter and the FVD sound exhaust. I already have the GTS hp bump without any ecu tuning... And that for 3k...
Hmm...what did you do to your car again? Details please/Links?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S to Cayman GTS