Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument dials color option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Harrygator
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument dials color option?

I was wondering if anyone has had their instrument dials changed after delivery. I have to admit that I made a big mistake by going with the standard colored dials. I literally cannot read them during the day and especially wearing sunglasses.

So I'll have to pay the price to change the instrument dials plus the SC clock. Any insights?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check with North Hollywood Speedometer and Palo Alto Speedometer to see what your options are. Let me know. I'm interested in doing green numbers on black (like the old VDO gauges).

Otherwise, you can swap the entire cluster (or buy a new one from Porsche - OUCH!). That'll be a challenge...

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

People on planet-9 have the same complaint. I rented a new cayman and do not recall such a problem -- not that I'm saying it isn't true. But I am wondering what the problem is. Can you describe ore fully? The reason I ask is I have one on order and the build will lock soon and if I should get white dial I need to soon....

TIA
Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
People on planet-9 have the same complaint. I rented a new cayman and do not recall such a problem -- not that I'm saying it isn't true.
TIA
IIRC, the car you rented was a base model. Base models do not have that issue, because the RPM gauge is a black background with white numbers. There is good contrast between black and white so no issues on the base models.

The "S" models use a gray (they call it aluminum) colored RPM gauge with white numbers. In bright sunlight the RPM gauge gets washed out and its tough to see the white numbers on the RPM gauge because there isn't enough contrast against the gray, and it all sort of blends together.

Thankfully, a fellow Rennlister who was an early 981S purchaser clued me in on this so I ordered white gauges.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Harrygator
AutoX

I think Dino answered your question but if you are getting a 981S and your order hasn't locked, then choose one of the colored dial options.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Depending on your interior color, you might be able to get away with just changing out the speedometer and RPM gauge. I opted for those two gauges be white, and left the SC clock black. I had seen it on another car previously. I like how it looks, especially since the right most gauge is a black computer screen and the SC clock is flanked by 2 vents both of which have silver trim and the centers/vents are black. Although, that might work better with a dark dash...I have an Agate and Pebble interior so my dashboard is dark.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

I did rent a base and thus wondered about the fuss. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Harrygator
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dino944
Depending on your interior color, you might be able to get away with just changing out the speedometer and RPM gauge.
My interior is all black and I'm leaning towards the white dials. I agree about just doing those 2 gauges and forgetting about the SC clock. I e-mailed a request for information about this mod to my dealer and they said they'd have some info for me tomorrow. Fingers are crossed.

Update: Also submitted on P9, the Porsche cost for replacing dials is $3,300 plus install. Sadly, no easy fix for this mistake.

Last edited by Harrygator; 02-06-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harrygator
My interior is all black and I'm leaning towards the white dials. I agree about just doing those 2 gauges and forgetting about the SC clock. I e-mailed a request for information about this mod to my dealer and they said they'd have some info for me tomorrow. Fingers are crossed.
Just so you will have a rough idea what it will look like, here is a quick photo of my interior. Its a full leather interior in Agate gray and pebble gray. As you can see, I just did the main 2 gauges in white. I left the SC clock black. I preferred it that way, especially since the gauge nearest to it is black and its above a black touch screen. I had white gauges and a white SC clock in my 987RS60, but that was when all of the gauges were the same color. Even then, I thought it seemed a bit strange to have a single white dial all by itself when I had a dark dash. Wishing you luck!

Name:  photo_zpsae6f2c43.jpg
Views: 3366
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Dino, any pics of it straight on to see the white and black together? (BTW, my son's middle name is Dino, after Afreddino, Enzo's son and the mastermind behind the "Ferrari" v-6 motor....).
Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Since my interior is all black, I went with white instruments, including the chrono. Plus brushed stainless in dash, doors, and center console trim. The gauges will add some needed contrast, and just hope the brushed stainless is not as dull is it looks on photos, but just can't live with crappy plastic. And since I ditched the white exterior for agate (was going to go with white dash and center console painted trim), no other options for me. Oh, and the PD steering wheel is also going to add contrast. Not so desired contrast will also come courtesy of the crappy plastic backing of the 18-way adaptive seats, but since the bottom sides with the seat switches is the same color (my wife made that comment), it seems stupid to pay $1,600+ to just cover the back and still have the gray plastic at the bottom and at the seatback hinges. And since car is gray anyway, they don't look bad. A friend just got his 2014 GT3, and after seeing them in person, feel good leaving them alone. If that money would get rid of ALL the silver plastic, then I'd probably do it. I'm not happy at all what stupid options are going to cost me, but like many here regret not getting some options, I don't want that to happen. So will reluctantly order it exactly the way I want. But it'll be a VERY stupid financial mistake. Not proud of it, but it very well save me money, since trading an almost new car for another costs a lot more than that folks. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Plus brushed stainless in dash, doors, and center console trim....just hope the brushed stainless is not as dull is it looks on photos, but just can't live with crappy plastic
Its actually brushed aluminum. It is a very matte or as you called it dull finish. I like how it looks in my car and I did it to avoid the glare from the plastic trim strips, and to eliminate the plastic. If you don't like its very matte finish, you should consider leather trim or some other option to deal with the standard plastic trim.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Dino, any pics of it straight on to see the white and black together? (BTW, my son's middle name is Dino, after Afreddino, Enzo's son and the mastermind behind the "Ferrari" v-6 motor....).
For now this is the best I can do getting photo straight on. I couldn't seem to get everything all in one photo. If I have time over the weekend I can see if I can take some additional/better photos.

My first experience with an Italian sports car was a ride in a 246GTS Dino when I was about 11 years old. Actually, my neighbor owns a few BMWs, but he is a big Ferrari fan and named his son Enzo.

Name:  photo_zps42bde3aa.jpg
Views: 5808
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  photo_zps37ce0e13.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 12-26-2015, 02:26 PM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is nearly 2 years old but wondering if anyone has done this yet? Seems like would have to remove the dashboard etc but should be doable? I'm mulling over a color switch for my center gauge. I don't think Porsche offers a left-black center=color option tho I think Techart does.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

There is an "article" on the Plant 9 "article" section that details the procedure on a 987 I believe. I do not know if there is one on that site for the later Caymans.

Quick Reply: Instrument dials color option?