Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S's To Avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Porschefan2001
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S's To Avoid?

I'm in the market for a used Cayman S and was looking for some advice on which year(s) if any to avoid and what to look for. I used to have an 01 Boxster S and love the way it drove and love the Cayman's body style.
I heard that the 09 models and later have carbon build up issues. Is this a major concern?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Andy
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gen11 [09 up] seem to make many sleep better .i have not heard of carbon build up issues on the po cars yet.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll see a few comments on this forum and others, very few, about the IMS issue that effects 911's as well. Other than that and speeding tickets no problems!

Machog
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First generation Caymans ('06-'08) have an intermediate shaft bearing (IMSB) while the second generation Caymans ('09 and later) do not. While the IMSB can fail in the first gen cars, the incidence of failure seems to be extremely small, especially as compared to the 996 and early 997, and Boxsters. Owners who track their Caymans have sometimes found oil starvation problems with the first gen cars, but no such problems seem common for street driven cars. Sources on the internet show the first and second generation cars both being very reliable and I haven't seen any particular model year to avoid.
I think the second gen cars engine design (without an IMSB) is better and some models have Direct Fuel Injection which is more efficient. Also gen two cars have the PDK trans available.

Quick Reply: Cayman S's To Avoid?