Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Race car builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM
HGT3CUP
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman Race car builds

I have never started a thread before, so be kind. Or, not.

I currently own an 08 CaymanS and am considering converting it to a race car. Has anyone else done this before? Any good or bad experiences doing this? Worthwhile or not? I am not a mechanic and I have no tools. So, I would need a shop to do it for me.

I would use it for DE days at first then race, to win, of course.

Or would it be better to purchase one already built? If so, any leads would be great.

I just now figured out how to use these smilies.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I did this last year. Lessons learnt:

- First off, figure out which club you want to race with (PCA, SCCA, NASA) even though you are starting with DE
- Figure out in which class your car could fall into, whether it would be competitive in that class and whether there is a good large field racing in that class at the local tracks you are going to run. The PCA rule book is a good start: PCA Rule Book. Your car would fall into "Stock H". You can go a little further with mods and aero which would bump it into "Prepared I". Caymans are very competitive in both classes.
- Get some recommendations for a reputable shop in your area to convert the car to race spec and then obtain estimates from those shops for the conversion or look at used cars they are selling.
- Look around for used race cars already built that have had consistent podium finishes. You will likely find this to be a cheaper route than build your own.
- If it is important for you to get a car just the way you like it - convert your own car
- Shop for a trailer and a tow vehicle
- Work with some good coaches to prep you for racing
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 AM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always better to buy one already built, especially if you don't plan to wrench on it. Best foundation is the Cayman S/R 2009-12 with DFI engine. Your '08 will require some extra modifications to make it race worthy.

Biggest downside to these builds is cost. Base car plus 50-70k. puts you 80-130k. Same cost as a 997 cup car but 8-10sec slower on most tracks. Advantages: easier car to drive fast and lower running costs as far as engine and transmission.

Many sponsors here that may have leads to car for sale or build one for you. BGB motorsports, Chris Smith Racing, Deman Motorsports, Bodymotion, Olsen motorsports, etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Yea there are a few cayman builds already done and waiting for owners. Shop around and I'm sure you can find one
Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Option 1: Smarter more economical way: buy a built car, well sorted, and have a good shop set it up for you.

Option 2: Harder, time consuming, frustrating method: build your own.

I would contact Rebel Rock Racing for Cayman builds, they are doing a bunch right now....

Since yours is a 08, I would put it back to stock and sell it while you can get a good price for it. Then either buy a built car or if you can't find what you want, get a wrecked one for cheap and build it. If you get a front damaged one, you can even go with the GT3 nose and ducts...

For me, I'm too poor to race so I'm gonna stick with DEs for a while...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isringhausen and Bodymotion both are active in Cayman series racing. I believe Isringhausen has 2-3 builds ready to sell.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Bodymotion Inc.
Rennlist Member

If you are interested, we have a gen 1 "h" stock pca Cayman available as well as a gen 1 ITC and 2 gen 2 ITC spec caymans for sale. We are also taking orders for new builds and the schedule is booking up quickly.
Let me know if you have any questions or interests.
Geoff@bodymotion.com
Thanks,
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Sell your Cayman. ( I would never use a non DFI cayman/boxster as a D.E or track car because of the engine....)
Look for a DFI Cayman already race prepped. Somebody elses loss, your gain
Rules are changing for 2014 so you might see some race caymans hit the market sooner then later....

Building a race car is expensive and worth half of what you put into it if you are lucky.
Take everybodys advice and start looking for a used cayman racer.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Building a race car is expensive and worth half of what you put into it if you are lucky.
Agreed that from a pure financial perspective, used is the way to go but there is a benefit of starting with a clean sheet of paper and building a car exactly the way you want it and then working with the builder to set it up just the way you like it. New builds are expensive but there is a benefit in knowing that everything works and that there are no surprises.

Even with possible rule changes around DFI engines and PDF equipped cars any generation Cayman is going to be a very competitive racing machine in its specific class.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree on the absolute no way Gen 1 comment b/c the oiling issues can be properly dealt with greatly improving the overall longevity that doing nothing to a Gen 2 provides.

Also, HSR Stuttgart Cup racing looks interesting if you are in the SE. Good points made about buying built vs. building already posted. Buy someone else's work for cheaper in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
HGT3CUP
Rennlist Member

Rules are changing for 2014 so you might see some race caymans hit the market sooner then later....
What rules are changing?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HGT3CUP
What rules are changing?
In PCA Club Racing, there are rules being proposed that would penalize PDK Caymans with possibly some addition weight. For now PDK cars can run in GTB1 but that's not guaranteed for 2014. See on page 2 in the link below.

PCA Club Racing
Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
BERG
Advanced

It is generally better financially to buy used instead of building, but be aware that what you are buying may be a worn out pile of poo. Cup cars with lots of hours that have not been maintained will be an absolute money pit to bring back to life. Some of the early cayman builds before diff coolers were added could have had the trans overheated many times. Not all of the Interseries cars have been updated to the latest spec... Point is if you buy used do your homework. If you build new you know exactly what you are getting.

Quick Reply: Cayman Race car builds