Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indispensable DIY Resources?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default Indispensable DIY Resources?

Long-time Rennlister but first post in flat-six land; my wife is bringing home a Cayman S this week to replace her Z06. I need to start learning about it inside and out. I'm not planning any non-trivial wrenching, but I want to begin learning about the systems, the way bits are bolted together, and to navigate wiring diagrams.

I've looked through the last year of threads on this forum (there's no FAQ) for pointers to DIY resources and haven't turned anything up. In 928 Land there's a standard list of things to acquire (PET, WSM, CDs with tech docs, TSBs, etc.)

What's the list for the 981 (or earlier?) Do workshop manuals exist? Are they worthless or not? Other sources? Other boards? Is the Durametric scanner useful? Etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check out http://www.planet-9.com/ for much more content on the 987 and 981 cars. It has much more content than Rennlist for these cars.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to check the 987/981 forum, here, too. It's much more active than the Cayman one.

Also, checkout the http://www.caymanregister.org/.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Dave tell Jane congrats on the new ride! You'll have to post some pictures on here when you get it.

As far as the technical information I wish I could help but you likely already know more than I do.

They are reliable cars for the most part, the only issues I have seen consistently is air/oil separators and the occasional water pump when it gets into the higher miles. Definitely get a grill mesh to cover the front radiators.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin,
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Dave tell Jane congrats on the new ride! You'll have to post some pictures on here when you get it.
I did. And I will. We may have it tomorrow. If not, then Friday. It's Agate Gray. Name will be GLP. (You know at least two things that can expand to...)

They are reliable cars for the most part, the only issues I have seen consistently is air/oil separators and the occasional water pump when it gets into the higher miles.
I have noted - prior to 'approving' the purchase (to the extent that I get to approve anything that is) - that these flat-six engines since '09 do not seem to have the previous pathological or systemic failures (IMS, RMS, etc.)

As you may suspect, water pumps do not scare me

Definitely get a grill mesh to cover the front radiators.
What's up wid'dat?

Originally Posted by bet
check out http://www.planet-9.com/ for much more content on the 987 and 981 cars. It has much more content than Rennlist for these cars.
I hopped over there. Looks like there's lots of tech info on the 987s and .2s. Nothing yet on 981s. Regardless, I'll join up and start bothering those folks too.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
You need to check the 987/981 forum, here, too. It's much more active than the Cayman one.
Also, checkout the http://www.caymanregister.org/.
Will do.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new Porsche cars do not have a printed factory service manual. You can subscribe (for 500 euros per year) or buy by the page from the Porsche web site. The computer will provide the required codes via OBD2 but most of the stuff is "secret" and only the dealer can read them. As a long time P-car driver, I find this very distressing, though I bought a '14 Cayman, mostly out of habit I suppose. Because of the complete absence of any kind of support for any work on the car by anyone except the dealership, for the first time in my life I am considering the car to be basically disposable - when the prepaid service runs out, just get rid of it. When I want to work on a Porsche I'll work on my 944 or 356. I do have the tools to do much of what might be needed, but if I get rid of it promptly and treat it like a junk car then I won't need to work on it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jane's bouncing off the walls. I don't think I've ever seen her this excited.

One crappy picture. Sorry. (Afshin, if you look closely, you may notice some improvements to the garage since the last time you were there.)

First impressions:
- this is the only car I've ever seen that looks best in a Gray color.
- the interior ergonomics, fit & finish, is excellent. (Normalized for four decades of progress Porsche has finally gotten back to the level of the 928.)
- I am betting Jane's not going to let me drive it much. She doesn't even like me touching her key.

I'll get it on the lift Sunday afternoon and check out the 'business end' bits. Pictures?
Attached Images  

Last edited by worf928; 09-19-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
the new Porsche cars do not have a printed factory service manual.
This I have heard.

You can subscribe (for 500 euros per year) or buy by the page from the Porsche web site.
I'm going to do some more digging in the coming weeks. While I do not doubt you, I find it interesting since by Law car companies in the US are required to provide workshop-grade service information at resonable cost to owners. Since more and more of new cars' ...

The computer will provide the required codes via OBD2 but most of the stuff is "secret" and only the dealer can read them.
... functionality is provided via software, this may have created some kind of loophole that allows Porsche (and other companies) to skirt the spirit of the law in the name of safety (can't have owners messin' up our vehicle control systems by poking bits in the 'proms and endangering saftey blah blah blah...)

It's pretty much standard for car companies to provide open access to only what is required by OBD.

That's why I specifically asked about the Durametric scanner. I have the Bosch Hammer for the pre-OBD Porsches (and VAG-COM for VAG products.)

As a long time P-car driver, I find this very distressing, though I bought a '14 Cayman, mostly out of habit I suppose. Because of the complete absence of any kind of support for any work on the car by anyone except the dealership, for the first time in my life I am considering the car to be basically disposable
That writing has been on the wall. But, I'm hoping that there will be enough of an enthusiast (i.e. second- and third-hand) market to generate interest in producing what's needed.

I do have the tools to do much of what might be needed, but if I get rid of it promptly and treat it like a junk car then I won't need to work on it.
At worst I want to know enough about the important bits to be an informed service customer (at least for the next several years.) I make a habit of QC-ing work done by others on my non-Porsches. (And the $h1+ I have found...)

My main interest in the short term is to be able to monitor carbon build-up on this DFI engine with my borescope. Later, I will be interested in figuring out how to hook up my BG intake cleaning system to do an intake cleaning. I've been doing both of those things on my DFI Audis.

In the very short term, I need to find the battery on this new beast
Old 09-22-2013, 02:09 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
While I do not doubt you, I find it interesting since by Law car companies in the US are required to provide workshop-grade service information at resonable cost to owners. Since more and more of new cars' ...
I've never heard that before. Source? Porsche provides almost no technical data for their cars. Not even how to change the oil. There has been information on the 987.1 cars available through 2nd hand sources, but nothing regarding 987.2 (engine totally different).

Edit: checked ALLDATAdiy. They have data through 2011 now. I can't imagine the 2012 987.2 would be much different.

Last edited by ReadyKW; 09-23-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Update information.

Quick Reply: Indispensable DIY Resources?