Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman spare tire?

anyone know if there is a compact spare that will fit front and rear on the Caymans? it makes me nervous to not have a spare and that huge front trunk seems big enough - I have an extra 944 spare, the bolt pattern is right, I haven't tried it to see if it will clear the brakes - I'm a bit dubious since it's a 15 inch wheel, but it might - anyone know for sure - it would save me some work.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:18 AM
deturney
Instructor

Check Suncoast, see if their Cayman spare fits the 981 if that is what you have. I know they had one for the 987 because I own one.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM
deturney
Instructor

I just checked Suncoast and found only spares for 987's. You might want to call and see if they work on the 981 if that is what you have. If they don't work on the 981 I will be selling my 987 version, which is unused and purchased about 18 months ago.
Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

ok, but now I get to ask a really stupid question - I know the model year ('14), but no documentation I have stumbled across indicates a model number - maybe it's in the manual which the dealer has yet to hand me? so, how do I determine 981 versus 987?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
deturney
Instructor

The New Cayman is a 981 model code, prior to the New Cayman they were 987 models.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

ok, I guess that makes sense, the 991 and the 981 go together - the cayman is a lot easier to know the edges of than the 991, that's for sure. Now to see about a spare....
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM
NorminHouston
3rd Gear

Before you go out and purchase a spare, you need to consider where you plan to put that huge tire and wheel that went flat. I carry a plug kit for repair plus the electric pump. I suppose you could always carry a chain and lock so you could stash the flat in the boonies and return in your SUV to retrieve it. No easy solution for us Porsche owners.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 PM
mitch48
Advanced

To update this, I just looked on Suncoast's site and they list a spare kit for the 981 for $1200. Pretty pricey, but then its a Porsche, right? The spare looks just like the one I have in my 987 now, so I plan to transfer it to the 981 I'm waiting on. It won't fit the ceramic brake option, but ten I don't have to worry about that.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:34 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have seen the spare tire question come up a few timesit usually dies when the op is reminded .......about the flat tire is going where. doh.what were they thinking
Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default check e bay.....

...that's where I got mine, cheap!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM
mwest
Intermediate

This is a few years late to the party but I felt I had to add my 2 cents worth to this. I have a few cars that came with no spares. Even though I carry plug kits and cans of fix a flat and a small compressor it never fails that the flat I get is either in a non-repairable location(sidewall) or as in my last 2 flats a hairline crack in the wheel.
These last times were on the track.
In each case I was able to make it home with a donut spare and a bungee cord. The bad wheel did not exactly fit into my car-had to bungee the rear hatch down. These previous flats happened on my Z06. After searching all over the internet I learned the donut spare from a Caddy CTS fits both my Vettes. I happened to have a Caddy CTS, I test fitted the spare and it fit perfectly well on rear and needed 2 5/32" spacers on front to clear the bigger calipers.

I happened to have a Boxster and a Cayman S. I test fit my Boxster donut spare on the Cayman and it fit both front & rear perfectly. The Boxster donut is 17" and Cayman has 19" wheels, but in a pinch better then sitting on the side of the road. Since I was not under any pressure to find a another donut spare I took my time searching and found a new never used Boxster spare for $80. It is now tied down with ratchet straps in the rear of the Cayman. In the event I have to use it, I've got extra straps to tie down the hatch if I have to fit a flat tire back there.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Daljit Dhanjal
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman S donut

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
anyone know if there is a compact spare that will fit front and rear on the Caymans? it makes me nervous to not have a spare and that huge front trunk seems big enough - I have an extra 944 spare, the bolt pattern is right, I haven't tried it to see if it will clear the brakes - I'm a bit dubious since it's a 15 inch wheel, but it might - anyone know for sure - it would save me some work.
I have a donut for my 2005 Cayman S. $150, you pay for postage. Never used.Msg me 317.919.2469.

Last edited by Daljit Dhanjal; 12-20-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:41 AM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't done a mega-long road trip yet with my '15 981-S... but have resigned myself to the fact that in the event of a flat... and the Gooo/air compressor route doesn't get me into limp-mode to the nearest tire shop.. then I'll be relegated to a flatbed tow to the closest town where I can get a repair or new tire (maybe 2 depending on tread left on opposing side). The cost of the tire(s) and an extra hotel night (or two) would be the price to pay for retaining luggage/storage capacity. I'm resigned to chalking it up to "that's the price of making a trip far from home in a sports car..." I have done a 2,500 multi-day trip in my Vette a few years ago... about 25% of it on "backroads" (State Routes) and didn't have any issues... so I think my approach is good enough to get me and my required luggage on the road. Maybe not the most expedient thing to do... but surely the stuff that great road stories are made of.... and frankly... one of the more obnoxious 1st world problems to talk about or experience.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:26 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by OLY-S
I haven't done a mega-long road trip yet with my '15 981-S... but have resigned myself to the fact that in the event of a flat... and the Gooo/air compressor route doesn't get me into limp-mode to the nearest tire shop.. then I'll be relegated to a flatbed tow to the closest town where I can get a repair or new tire (maybe 2 depending on tread left on opposing side). The cost of the tire(s) and an extra hotel night (or two) would be the price to pay for retaining luggage/storage capacity. I'm resigned to chalking it up to "that's the price of making a trip far from home in a sports car..." I have done a 2,500 multi-day trip in my Vette a few years ago... about 25% of it on "backroads" (State Routes) and didn't have any issues... so I think my approach is good enough to get me and my required luggage on the road. Maybe not the most expedient thing to do... but surely the stuff that great road stories are made of.... and frankly... one of the more obnoxious 1st world problems to talk about or experience.
Your approach is exactly like mine, almost. I'll stick with the goo and air compressor with a credit card as a back up. Where you and I differ is that I don't believe talking about how to handle a flat tire is obnoxious. And what is a "1st world problem" anyhow? Is it some kind of "Porsche privilege guilt", similar to the "White guilt" all the geniuses in Hollywood and the political class talk about? I don't get it? Am I supposed to feel ashamed?
Old 12-28-2020, 10:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I was the caboose on a PCA trip through the rockies. We had walkie talkies. The third car from the end caught a rock on the sidewall. No goo was gonna fix that. When I saw him pull over we were already out of walkie talkie range. Cell phones didn't work where we were. Fortunately I was behind him. I drove about 8 miles to a lodge, called a tow for him from a land line, and the waitress was kind enough to lend me her 200K mile Montero to drive back, and pick up my passenger who stayed with the elderly driver.

Tell me again how that cell phone credit card thing works.

Quick Reply: Cayman spare tire?