Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman S

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I would like to know what you didn't like about the M3? I am moving back to Bay Area an want a convertible to go with my 951 project car. Any major issues?
No major issues, the car was very solid. I had a sedan with no sunroof... zero squeaks/rattles ever. mechanically bulletproof as far as I could tell, and I ran it very VERY hard. I sold it because it's my daily driver and I don't want a second car and it didn't have three pedals and was heavy, no matter how you slice it. The vast majority of my time has been spent in true sports cars and I simply missed the lightness and heel/toeing. It wasn't a tank, and was faster than hell.

The E93 is 400 lbs heavier, which I would typically advise running-away from. However, since you already have a dedicated "sports" car that you'll be keeping, the E93 sounds like a great second car!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see, well thank you very much for the information. I am actually sitting on the fence between the M3 and the 335I hard top convertibles. As a daily driver, the 335I is more economical, not horrible power, and much cheaper. However, the M3 is the best true "four seat sports car" I have ever driven. As you said, faster than hell, in stock form.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I see, well thank you very much for the information. I am actually sitting on the fence between the M3 and the 335I hard top convertibles. As a daily driver, the 335I is more economical, not horrible power, and much cheaper. However, the M3 is the best true "four seat sports car" I have ever driven. As you said, faster than hell, in stock form.
But not so much the convertible. I'd probably recommend the 335i for cruising in a convertible (aside from sound) If you want a daily fast-as-hell driver with some practicality, get an M3 sedan. For a cruiser, get a 335i vert.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. It's a stunning example, I really love those wheels.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

This kind of thread makes me wish I had bought a Cayman instead of the new BOSS 302 . No , a Cayman S and a BOSS !
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Very Nice Cayman S! Love the color and the wheels are stunning indeed!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

is there a difference in the front bumper between S and non S?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

I believe on the S the bottom lip is painted to match and the headlight washers are standard. On the standard model the inserts and fog lamps are painted to match the car(on the S they are left black), but not a 100% sure that's that only difference. I'm sure some other members will chime in.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Harrygator
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander
Hello Rennlist!

2014 Porsche Cayman S
FACTORY OPTIONS:
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
AJ - Sport seats Plus in Black leather
P04 - Sport Seats Plus
840 - SportDesign steering wheel
658 - Power Steering Plus
640 - Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
423 - 20-inch Carrera S wheels
XDH - Wheels painted in Platinum (semi-gloss)
603 - Bi-Xenon™ headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
748 - Electrically folding side mirrors
P13 - Auto dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
P9A - Convenience Package
P9G - Infotainment Package with BOSE Surround Sound

I'm very pleased!
-Sean
Beautiful machine! Newbie questions: I'm putting together my option list and had a question on the wheels. The Build & Price shows the platinum painted wheels as a dull grey while yours look polished. Did you request the semi-gloss look? They look great on your car. Also, what is your opinion on 19" vs 20" wheels? Seems like less rubber = harder ride? Any options you regret or wish you had chosen? TIA

Last edited by Harrygator; 07-14-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-14-2013, 02:33 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harrygator
The Build & Price shows the platinum painted wheels as a dull grey while yours look polished. Did you request the semi-gloss look? Also, what is your opinion on 19" vs 20" wheels? Seems like less rubber = harder ride? Any options you regret or wish you had chosen?
Mine are the standard factory "Platinum Semi-Gloss" option 20" Carrera S wheels and are a satin finish. After cleaning them for the first time, the closest thing I can compare them to is a Teflon finish.

19" wheels should give you a better ride, and will make the brakes look better because they won't be so dwarfed by the larger wheel. With the right tire/setup 19's can also give you more mechanical grip. Mechanically, they are a better wheel. Generally speaking, I'm a function-over-form person, but these 20" Carrera S wheels in platinum just look SOO much better.

I'm very happy with the way the car is optioned, I probably would have opted for the PTV/diff, sport suspension and Porsche Sport Exhaust if I had configured the car myself, but now that I've put a thousand miles on it in the real world, I'm VERY happy with the way it's currently equipped. The sound is fantastic (I'm and intake/howl/tenor guy, and think the standard exhaust gives a better tone quality than the deeper/louder PSE)

-Sean
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 PM
TimH1
2nd Gear

We take delivery ot our S - same color and wheels, but not painted - in two weeks. After seeing yours I called the dealer to see if I can get them painted platinum - stunning look.

Tim
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Harrygator
AutoX

Originally Posted by SeanAlexander
I'm very happy with the way the car is optioned, I probably would have opted for the PTV/diff, sport suspension and Porsche Sport Exhaust if I had configured the car myself, but now that I've put a thousand miles on it in the real world, I'm VERY happy with the way it's currently equipped.
Thanks Sean. Given the Cayman is a sports car with above normal engine sound, do you think the Bose option is worth it? In other words, does cabin noise drown out the audio at highway cruising speeds?
Harry
Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
SeanAlexander
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harrygator
Given the Cayman is a sports car with above normal engine sound, do you think the Bose option is worth it? In other words, does cabin noise drown out the audio at highway cruising speeds?
I couldn't care less to tell you the truth. I'm not much for extraneous noises, I prefer to listen to the car :-) The Bose seems fine to me when I do turn it on, but I'm hardest of the hard-core performance enthusiasts, so I honestly am not the right guy to ask when it comes to audio and frills.

-Sean
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
TimH1
2nd Gear

Having now taken delivery - the Bose system is impressive. I love good sound - no problem hearing it at any speed.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TimH1
Having now taken delivery - the Bose system is impressive. I love good sound - no problem hearing it at any speed.
Must post some pictures

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Cayman S