Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS Issues. Bring your knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Mac1235
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Issues. Bring your knowledge.

Hey guys. I am now looking for a Cayman to call my own but I am curious about the IMS issues. Are these bad enough to force me to not look at anything before 09? Anyone have first hand experience or some knowledge on this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Pnug
Intermediate

It's not really an issue in the Cayman. You can search here, Planet-9 and 6speed and see that there is really no confirmed IMS failure on a Cayman. Your other post has very good recommendations and warning about tracking. If you modify the car to improve the handling without addressing the oiling system then go track the car you're asking for trouble. This is true for most cars not just the Cayman. The only thing I would add is get a read out of the over revs to confirm that it has not been abused.

Planet-9 site started as a Cayman specific site so you'll find a lot more information about them there.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Mac1235
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Pnug
It's not really an issue in the Cayman. You can search here, Planet-9 and 6speed and see that there is really no confirmed IMS failure on a Cayman. Your other post has very good recommendations and warning about tracking. If you modify the car to improve the handling without addressing the oiling system then go track the car you're asking for trouble. This is true for most cars not just the Cayman. The only thing I would add is get a read out of the over revs to confirm that it has not been abused.

Planet-9 site started as a Cayman specific site so you'll find a lot more information about them there.
Thanks for the information. Do they check for over revs in a PPI or is that something I should request separately?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac1235
Thanks for the information. Do they check for over revs in a PPI or is that something I should request separately?
A thorough PPI will, but not every PPI is thorough. Best to request it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

You want to check for the over revs. If the car is still under warranty you may not be covered if the dealer reads computer and it shows over revs. It seems from the forms that cars that are driven regularly and get regular oil changes have very few problems with the ims. The 09s and later do have the advantage of no ims and supposedly the oiling system is much better for track use.

Quick Reply: IMS Issues. Bring your knowledge.