Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman S - Roll Bar Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 Cayman S - Roll Bar Possible?

After being away from the track for quite a long time I am feeling the pull again...
I have been holding out for a GT3 but still unclear if I could get it out of my driveway... but quite like the new Cayman S.

I have seen a few of the prior generation Cayman options for a roll bar but most appeared to be dangerously close to the driver/pass head.

First: Anyone happened to hear any potential for a roll bar fitting the new Cayman?

Second: What about compromises that can create danger during street use?

For the record, I have come from DE and full race BMWs where there is more room to work with. The additional reason for the second question is that I once crashed one of my street M3s where the seat broke and belt no longer tensioned my body during the further impacts... This made me extremely aware of potential danger of the roll bar used in my other street/track M3. Additionally, I discovered a crack in one of my helmets while cleaning that would have likely been caused by my helmet impacting either a students roll hoop or my own.

My intent is just to have a fun car that I can kick around the track from time to time... I do not wish to go full tilt like I did previously with a truck/trailer/race car.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The cabin of the new cayman is supposed to be bigger than previous models. I can tell you the 2011 is tight.

I would suggest napoleon or goldcrest on the roll bar question. They do a ton of this work.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

Its probably just too soon for the aftermarket guys to have made a half cage for the new cayman. I have a GMG in my "R" and it stays pretty far back from the head. I figured it was the best setup for street driving, though I think it could have gone up a little higher. The further back they are, the less overall protection and the more they obstruct your rear visibility. Truth be told, I feel like these bars are more or less car jewelry because the roof on the cayman is pretty stiff anyways and I don't see the bars adding much to it. Maybe contact the maker of your brand of choice to get an ETA on one for the new cayman?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Bump (a 4 year one at that).

Just picked up a 2014 Cayman S and while googling around for a role cage (for DE and some open track days-No wheel to wheel right now), this thread popped up.

The last response is more than 4 years old, so I'm sure role cages/bars have come a long way in those 4 years for this car.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a role cage or roll bar bar a 2014 Cayman S?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Take a look at Contrell https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...-powdercoated/ I put one in my GT4 and was very happy with fit, finish, and design.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Take a look at Contrell https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...-powdercoated/ I put one in my GT4 and was very happy with fit, finish, and design.
That looks good. Thanks for the info. I will check them out. Thanks....

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman S - Roll Bar Possible?