Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage Gen 2 Cayman S for Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 176 Posts
Default High Mileage Gen 2 Cayman S for Track?

I'm looking for a Gen 2 Cayman S to use primarily on the track. I found one that has fairly high mileage (65,000+) and am curious as to your opinions regarding that combination.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
I'm looking for a Gen 2 Cayman S to use primarily on the track. I found one that has fairly high mileage (65,000+) and am curious as to your opinions regarding that combination.
It is a good basic choice.

No need to pay a premium for a low miles car only to add miles, and track miles at that, to the car.

You need to inform yourself about the possible issues this car, mainly its engine, can have when used on the track.

You need to be sure the oiling system is up to the task. This could mean an Accusump, deeper oil pan with proper baffling and a longer oil pump pickup, perhaps even extra scavenge oil pumps in the heads (under the camshaft covers.

The power steering system may need some attention too, the addition of a power steering fluid cooler perhaps.

It is cheaper to deal with these issues -- if they are issues and I think they are based on reading posts by those who track the Cayman -- up front rather than learning about them the hard way.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do not do it .imo
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gen 2 cars fixed all of the oiling and power steering issues. As long as the car is in decent shape it should be a good platform for a track car.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Good choice for a track car. You should still deal with the oiling and power steering mods just to make it more robust for track use.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
superfast02911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

Frank, glad to find you on this thread. I saw your car at NJMP last month, and know your car (and you) are right quick.

I'd love to hear your experience on going from a GT3 to a Cayman as a track car - would you do it again?

I've been mulling over a Gen 2 as a platform for a track spec car, would love to hear your experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
Gen 2 cars fixed all of the oiling and power steering issues. As long as the car is in decent shape it should be a good platform for a track car.
+1
Add the third radiator and increase brake cooling with later/latest ducts.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is sold. Dealership told me last week I was first to be interested and would complete sale pending completion of CPO inspection. Offered deposit, but they wouldn't take it. Must have been lots of interest. SA dragged me along for days while they finished the CPO technician check then called yesterday to tell me it sold it to someone else. Very poor. Beware Joseph Porsche.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a low blow. No deposit was a red flag.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be a good thing. Maybe the dealer knew it wouldn't pass CPO, and would rather sell it to someone less conscientious.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastle
Car is sold. Dealership told me last week I was first to be interested and would complete sale pending completion of CPO inspection. Offered deposit, but they wouldn't take it. Must have been lots of interest. SA dragged me along for days while they finished the CPO technician check then called yesterday to tell me it sold it to someone else. Very poor. Beware Joseph Porsche.
The same thing happened to me. C'est la vie. I figure that the price of early Gen 2 models will take a step down in the coming months as Gen 3 hits the streets. If a deal looks too good to be true...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by superfast02911
I'd love to hear your experience on going from a GT3 to a Cayman as a track car - would you do it again?

I've been mulling over a Gen 2 as a platform for a track spec car, would love to hear your experience.
Which car were you driving? Anniversary 996? My journey went form a very nice (too nice for the track) GT3 to a (too nice for racing) 964 RSA to a purpose built Cayman S. I picked the Cayman since it makes a very nice and competitive platform for PCA Club racing, particularly in H class. I've been driving since last summer and couldn't be happier. I'm still learning a lot about the car but it has never surprised me. You will find that with the 3.4l engine, power is lacking in comparison to the modern 911s but you will always catch them in the corners .

I feel much safer with the integrated roll cage than with the roll bar. My car is an '06 with 65k miles and was built by DeMan Motorsport. Since NJMP we have now completely disabled the traction control and I look forward to seeing how that goes. My first race is at LRP in late April. For Club Racing the newer 997 GT3s are just not competitive given the class that they stick you in.

Go for it,you won't regret it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
It is a good basic choice.

No need to pay a premium for a low miles car only to add miles, and track miles at that, to the car.

You need to inform yourself about the possible issues this car, mainly its engine, can have when used on the track.

You need to be sure the oiling system is up to the task. This could mean an Accusump, deeper oil pan with proper baffling and a longer oil pump pickup, perhaps even extra scavenge oil pumps in the heads (under the camshaft covers.

The power steering system may need some attention too, the addition of a power steering fluid cooler perhaps.

It is cheaper to deal with these issues -- if they are issues and I think they are based on reading posts by those who track the Cayman -- up front rather than learning about them the hard way.
Those are fixes for Gen 1 cars. He found a Gen. 2 car which, only needs a power steering cooler and a gearbox coolder for endurance duty. If you are just doing DEs, you can probably get away with just a 3rd radiator.

YOU WILL NOT FIND A MORE ROBUST PORSCHE FOR TRACK DRIVING FOR THE $ THAN A 2ND GENERATION CAYMAN S WITH DFI.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to the guys that do this for a living.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Gen 2 Cayman S for Track?