Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad oil change = Cayman Engine Seizure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
tuner1984
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks that Porsche wouldn't tell you what went wrong.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be willing to bet that this is a case of the owner of the vehicle not wanting to pay the additional labor to tear down an engine for diag rather than the dealer refusing to tell him what went wrong. The car is out of warranty and he bought a used engine so it seems that Porsche is in no way involved in this process. Granted it would be nice to know what happened but it doesnt make since to do the additional work and to keep the already high cost of repair as low as possible, its just not justifiable to spend the extra dough for the sake of curiosity. The seller of the used engine is likely requiring a core back, but he always has the option of paying the core charge, taking his bad motor home and doing all types of exploratory surgery...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I am surprised a Porsche dealership would install a used engine. They really do that? I would expect them to make you purchase a new crate motor. An indy yes but not a dealership.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work for a dealership and on a car that is out of warranty, we will do just about anything you want. Sure, used parts are sold as is with no warranty unless as noted by the supplier. Many people have a misconception that a Porsche dealership is owned by PCNA. All dealerships in the USA are indepentently owned.

Quick Reply: Bad oil change = Cayman Engine Seizure?