Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad oil change = Cayman Engine Seizure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Cayman07
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

House is great, thanks for asking. The plugs were pulled out and they look fine, exactly 8 quarts of oil in the car, and correct oil filters. Even with the oil out it will not hand crank so something is stuck. There are no metal fragments in the oil that they drained so there may not be broken parts in the engine itself. Im thinking that a valve may have gotten stuck up or something dumb like that but won't know until I remove the engine and tear it apart. They seem baffled by this whole thing and I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman07
House is great, thanks for asking. The plugs were pulled out and they look fine, exactly 8 quarts of oil in the car, and correct oil filters. Even with the oil out it will not hand crank so something is stuck. There are no metal fragments in the oil that they drained so there may not be broken parts in the engine itself. Im thinking that a valve may have gotten stuck up or something dumb like that but won't know until I remove the engine and tear it apart. They seem baffled by this whole thing and I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?
If the engine stops running right away there may not be any fragments of metal in the oil. The engine didn't run long enough for any thing to make it to the pan.

There may not be anything even in the oil filter housing/oil either for the same reason. The engine didn't run long enough.

Besides a simple drain may not have any bits flow out anyhow. The pan should be removed. Then the metal fragments might be present. (The presence of metal bits though while in this case probably is bad news this is not the case in, well, all cases.)

I seriously doubt the tranny has anything do to with the engine not turning but it does have to come out to get the engine out so all is not lost.

If the tech can't turn the engine over by hand with the plugs removed there's something busted inside the engine.

A cam chain has let go and open valves are preventing the pistons from moving. That the engine can't be turned in either direction -- i guess this has been tried -- suggests both banks have non-moving valves which points to an IMS chain.

Congrats on the house. It is ok the Porsche doesn't run but the lawnmower had better be in top shape! Can't have the new house's lawn looking all rough now can we?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i will wag the IMS went too. PO might pick up some of the cost iirc. you still have optons......used engine,part the car out,sell as is .
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Hartdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
If the engine stops running right away there may not be any fragments of metal in the oil. The engine didn't run long enough for any thing to make it to the pan.

There may not be anything even in the oil filter housing/oil either for the same reason. The engine didn't run long enough.

Besides a simple drain may not have any bits flow out anyhow. The pan should be removed. Then the metal fragments might be present. (The presence of metal bits though while in this case probably is bad news this is not the case in, well, all cases.)

I seriously doubt the tranny has anything do to with the engine not turning but it does have to come out to get the engine out so all is not lost.

If the tech can't turn the engine over by hand with the plugs removed there's something busted inside the engine.

A cam chain has let go and open valves are preventing the pistons from moving. That the engine can't be turned in either direction -- i guess this has been tried -- suggests both banks have non-moving valves which points to an IMS chain.

Congrats on the house. It is ok the Porsche doesn't run but the lawnmower had better be in top shape! Can't have the new house's lawn looking all rough now can we?
I agree 100% with Mac. Tell them to pull the cam covers next.

The Cayman I had in the shop, it was immediately obvious when I pulled the cam covers what had happened.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Cayman07
AutoX

Any way it could be just a bent rod? The wouldn't be the worst thing that could have happened as long as it didn't destroy anything else. If it is the IMS then I have heard a lot of complaints on this issue so why hasn't PO stepped up to fix this?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Cayman07
AutoX

If it was a valve or the IMS then the engine would not turn at all I would think. It goes 30 degrees in either direction. If it was a valve wouldnt it go 30 degrees one way and 330 degrees the other way and get stuck?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
extanker
Banned

it could be a rod but i doubt it. IMS
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No. The non-moving valves -- remember if IMS chain failure neither intake or exhaust valves are opening/closing -- limit the engine to not many degrees of movement. 30 degrees in either direction sounds about right.

You can wish for a broken rod if you want. If you think that's better somehow then I hope you get your wish. And I hope you are right.

Right now no one can say. Someone's going to have to get their hands dirty and open up the engine enough to either confirm the valve train is causing the engine to lock up (ignoring the tiny amount of rotation you can eke out of the engine) or it is something else (a rod?) deeper in the engine.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Cayman07
AutoX

So had to do an engine replacement on the car at a cost of $12,000 for a used engine. The dealership will not tell me what went wrong with my original engine so it looks like we will never know what really happened.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman07
So had to do an engine replacement on the car at a cost of $12,000 for a used engine. The dealership will not tell me what went wrong with my original engine so it looks like we will never know what really happened.
What?! Which dealership is that?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
extanker
Banned

ouch
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

A dealership won't know what went "boom". They won't spend the money to do the autopsy. They just want to plug in a new motor.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I am not sure I am following this right.

With the car at the Porsche dealer they wouldnt , or didnt , pull the covers to get an idea of what the most likely problem(s) was as Mac had suggested above.

Then they sold you a used engine .

I hope it all came out well for you, but I dont like the sound of the steps to get to the cure here .
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Pnug
Intermediate

They do the same with their race engines that cost $60K? They don't want you to touch them or make any modifications to the internals. One heads of the teams in the LeMans series was telling us that basically Porsche is a one way street with information about their engines. If I had to pay $12k for a used engine, I'd be pissed if they weren't going to tell me what went wrong. Once they weren't going to help out on the cost of the replacement, I would have taken it to a local Porsche shop with build experience. The extra $4k-$6k more for a rebuild with improved rods and crank would have been worth it.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnug
If I had to pay $12k for a used engine, I'd be pissed if they weren't going to tell me what went wrong..
+1

BTW - if you got a good low mileage engine with clean over revs, $12k with installation is actually not a bad price.

Quick Reply: Bad oil change = Cayman Engine Seizure?