Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Options - Do I need Euro GT3 Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
AFoster14
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Options - Do I need Euro GT3 Seats?

Looking for advice on seats. I am looking to add harnesses (probably 6 point) to my Cayman S, but I also really want to retain the stock 3 point belts. The car isn't a dedicated track tool, yet...

Are the GT2 and Euro GT3 seats my only options? I've been told that may be the case by a local shop, but wanted to confirm with the people here that may have some experience with it.

If the OEM seats are the only way, I guess I'm in the market for some used GT3 seats if anyone is interested in selling them!

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The GT3 seats are a good choice for a street/track car. I use them. Here's a link to a set for sale.
http://rtr.mywowbb.com/forum27/3442.html
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM
racer
Drifting

Most Recaro/Sparco fixed back seats can accomodate both 3pt and Harnesses. GT3 seats have the advantage of "looking right" all the time vs a dedicated race seat.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

The trick on the aftermarket fixed back seats is the 3 pt receptacle mounting and location. For a safe installation the lap belt into the receptacle MUST pass through the cut out on the side of the seat so that the lap belt sits on your pelvis correctly. There are adapters available from Rennline etc. and you may need to fabricate something to get the receptacle properly mounted so they are both accessible and safe. Remember you want to be able to undo the belt in a hurry if needed as well.

I tried mine briefly routed over the edge of the seat and while it was easy to use and looked OK, it was horribly unsafe and offered no support in "spirited driving" - the belt rode on the bolsters and not on my hips.

Play safe !
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had Recaro Pole Positions in my 996 and they were great. You can get them in leather and they match the OEM black interior very well. I bought my side-mounts and other parts from Brey Krause. It is a hassle to get everything to fit but the parts you need do exist. The 996 GT3 seats would be an easier install because most of what you need is included with the seats (side mounts, sliders, hardware, etc.).

Quick Reply: Seat Options - Do I need Euro GT3 Seats?