Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust

My Cayman R does not have Porsche Sport Exhaust. I want to upgrade stock exhaust for better performance and sound, without losing cats (emissions inspectors look under car for them). Any recommendations? Has anyone bought the pieces to substitue Porsche Sport Exhaust for stock?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

running awe exhaust without cats and catless headers and the sound is a-1

i think they offer a version with cats...
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Tubi on my Cayman R. Remus sounds great, too - just a little quieter.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 AM
CampioniShop
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

REMUS is really one of the most popular options for these cars as it remains civil but gives that exotic wail the Cayman deserves. We have it in stock as well.

It does delete the secondary cats, but that does not throw a CEL, and you retain the primary cats. Unless they compare OEM schematics versus your aftermarket exhaust, you will pass sniff tests. Secondary cats are there for cold start up emission controls.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
mphgsp
7th Gear

I have Fabspeed street exhaust on mine. Very civil when you want it to be and screams when you get in it. Very high quality workmanship. I would certainly buy them again if needed to.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We sell the GT exhaust and can also modify your CR exhaust.
More info :
http://carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p87016.htm
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Do any of you have experience with your aftermarket exhaust at Laguna Seca? Were you compliant? What db's do you hit? We have a track here in Phoenix with similar sound limits, and I intend to run LS again.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Orthojoe has the Remus on his Spyder and says it passed at Laguna Seca. If you have a Cayman R you really need to check both forums (this and the 987 one) - I'm in the same boat.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68981
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GelbGT3
Do any of you have experience with your aftermarket exhaust at Laguna Seca? Were you compliant? What db's do you hit? We have a track here in Phoenix with similar sound limits, and I intend to run LS again.
I run an APR exhaust at Lime Rock where the sound limit is ~88db. No problems with being too loud. I know other caymans run there with different cat backs as well, no issues that I'm aware of.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

GelbGT3,

I hope my comment, "If you have a Cayman R you really need to check both forums (this and the 987 one) - I'm in the same boat" came across the way I intended it.

My point is that there is a lot of cross-over in the 987 forum that you'd probably want to see, not an admonition to search all forums. I posted just before leaving work and thought better of it on the drive home. I'm sorry, if I came across poorly.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

No offense taken; I took it as a good suggestion and have posted to the 987 Forum. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

The 987 forum (though dominated by the Spyder guys ) is more active, too.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The best sound I have heard on a Cayman is the Capristo system: full headers, sport cats, and mufflers. The system has valve control, so you get two tones, street and track.

I have heard many Cayman through the years and this system is just Art, I liked it so much that I got it for my 2007 Cayman S.

Capristo is made in Germany, they fabricate systems for Lamborghini, Ferrari and other high end cars. Best quality and great sound.

They also make just mufflers, but their headers/sport cats combined with the muffler provide a gain of 25Hp, so the Cayman R gets in the 355Hp territory.

I did not dyno my Cayman, but I noticed the gains on the new system right away. It feels like more than a 25Hp gain, and it gained a lot beyond 6,500 rpm rather than going flat at that range.

The secondary cats are deleted, but the car doesn't throw a CEL, despite being on Sport Cats.

The best part is resale value, when upgrading the car, go back to the stock exhaust and get good money for the used Capristo system.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 AM
CampioniShop
Former Vendor

^^Can't go wrong with Capristo either, but it's top dollar for Gen II cars - Remus Titanium like dollars.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Very happy with my Remus. To me it sounds the most "exotic" of all the aftermarket ones, but very livable if you want to just poke around. I will say I have gotten some intermittent CELs since I swapped it in, but the dealership confirmed its the O2 sensor/exhaust throwing them. So I just ignore it for now when it shows up.

Fit and finish is spectacular. Thought about the Capristo, but couldnt talk myself into the price so I wussed out. I may get some headers eventually which may then put me in the ballpark of what a Capristo woulda cost, but I think I might still come in under budget. At the time I couldnt get the Capristo with black tips and that was a dealbreaker.

Quick Reply: Exhaust