Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions and concerns buying a Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. Good luck with the search.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Kim, I had my 16K miles '07 CS fully inspected last month - prior to warranty end. The IMS bearings were perfect. The car is a pleasure to drive. Good luck in finding your Porsche.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
juniormarbles
AutoX

The failure rate of the IMS on M97.21 engines has still not been verified, as much as I tried to read up on this subject over the last three days. I called the two major independent Porsche shops in my area, and none has seen an IMS failure on the Cayman engines. (Now that most 2006 are out of warranty, that should show up in these shops, as much or more than at the dealer's.)

Here is an interesting (but, as the technical claims go, also unverified) opinion read on the RennTech forum (http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ine-failure/):

FYI: the M97's will not see the IMS failure the early M96's have experienced. Porsche went from a 5 chain cam drive system to a 3 chain. This took some of the stress off the IMS. They also beefed up the IMS rear bearing and support. They also used much much better material for the actual shaft itself which means less twisting

If anyone can find an official Porsche confirmation of these claimed changes to the engine, I'd appreciate it.

Would also appreciate it if someone could actually point me to a first-person, verifiable, account of someone who has experienced an IMS failure of that engine.

Thanks,
JM
Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
juniormarbles
AutoX

I am curious: I read that you cannot inspect the intermediate shaft bearings on an M97 engine without taking the engine out. How did they determine then that the bearing is in good condition?

Asked the same question of my Porsche dealer, as part of a pre-purchase inspection of an '06 CS I am looking at, I was told the same thing: there is no way to check on the condition of the bearing unless it's in its final stages of disintegration, where metal shavings will accumulate in the oil filter or (where so equipped) on the magnetic drain plug.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I asked this same question of the parts guy at Zimms here in DFW a couple of months ago when buying some parts. They do a lot of the L&N IMS / RMS kits but says never did one "just in time". Always a preventive when someone buys a water cooler and wants to protect his investment.
Oh yea, I'm looking for a '06-07 Cayman S DD also. Reason I stop by this area time to time.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
gordonfc
3rd Gear

Smile IMS failure

I have a 2008 Cayman 2.7L.
I have read that keeping the engine RPM above 2,500 helps to minimize the IMS failure, Drive the car the way for which it is designed RPM, N O T like a little old lady lugging the engine.

Originally Posted by Moody
thanks for your answer bill!

I must say that I love that you have one each!

If I´m understand you right, IMS and RMS is two different problems?
IMS seems to result in a complete engine failure, right or wrong?
Is the RMS problem also very "serious" ?
what happens if you get that problem?

It seems like I should wait until I have enough money to buy a -09.
2nd generation also has direct fuel injection, does that give you faster “response” and perhaps better fuel economy?
This carbon build up? Can someone please explain a little what happens and the result?
is it expensive to fix?

In my opinion the 06-08 are a little more good looking. Something with the lights.
is there a “facelift” on the 2nd generation?

If Im gonna buy a Cayman S, I will use it everyday to work (96 miles/day normal driving not racing).
But on the weekends do some “inspiring driving” on small curvy roads.
But not drive it wintertime because all the salt wear out the car fast.

You say you wouln´t hesitate to use gen 1 as a daily driver, but aren´t you afraid of IMS failure?
For me, this is my dream car which I hope to have for many years if I buy one and maybe I would be
almost afraid to use it if I buy a gen 1.

looking forward to hearing from you bill.

/Kim
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

A minor tip for you, Gordon:

It's best to provide answers to questions that are less than three years old, and to provide them to posters that have logged in within the last few years.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

In regard to the IMS my mechanic told me DO NOT BUY A CAYMAN EARLIER THAN 2009. On the other hand, my brother's 2000 Boxster has been fine all along and his mechanic says "It always will be." When my brother asked why, the mechanic said, "Because you drive it." When the car sits for months, the oil eventually leaves the IMS bearings, which become dry. His mechanic says he's only seen the IMS go out when cars are not driven regularly.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM
redgtv
1st Gear

So anything above year 2009 including 911, Cayman and boxster has no issues and no IMS, even though 2014 boxster S has a 3.4L engine so it's not the old engine from earlier 911.

Thanks-Giorgio

Quick Reply: Questions and concerns buying a Cayman S