Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads - 08 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 PM
racerlev
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brake pad replacement

I am in shock at what the dealer wants to replace even the front brake pads. What kind of pads should I purchase for a 2007 Cayman which is babied and has only 22,000 mi?

TIA
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Changing your pads is not a difficult project if you choose to DIY. Your rotors should be fine but do take a close look at them.

We offer brands such as Genuine Porsche, Textar, Ate, Pagid, Akebono & Mintex. You may view the pads here and let me know if you have any questions.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Shocked that no-one has referenced the KS-CS classic:

Edit:.... just saw that KS-CS already posted his great article, but looks like the link to the video did not come through.....
Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM
lovehamr
1st Gear

Hi noob here, lots of car experience but this our first Porsche, hence my noob questions.
Ref. the "KS-CS classic" do the S version brakes not use the stick on pad guide?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM
BrianU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Your rotors should be fine but do take a close look at them.
n00b question here, sorry.

I just picked up a new-to-me CS (pics and introduction to follow) and the PPI highlighted the front brakes at 4mm and rears at 6mm, so I know I have at least the fronts in my near-ish future. The quote in the PPI was $1,300 installed...pads, rotors, bolts, sensors, etc...I used that to negotiate the price down but my question if I want to do this myself is how exactly do I know whether new rotors are needed or not? I have always been under the impression pads and rotors should be done together but I see a lot of people just doing pads. Is there a minimum thickness I should measure for?
Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles are on the car? My Porsche tech told me to do the rotors with the pads because even if they're in spec now, they'll be out of spec by the time the new pads wear. I'm at 40k miles.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
BrianU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
How many miles are on the car?
28k so I assume original rotors.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianU

I just picked up a new-to-me CS (pics and introduction to follow) and the PPI highlighted the front brakes at 4mm and rears at 6mm, so I know I have at least the fronts in my near-ish future. The quote in the PPI was $1,300 installed...pads, rotors, bolts, sensors, etc...I used that to negotiate the price down but my question if I want to do this myself is how exactly do I know whether new rotors are needed or not? I have always been under the impression pads and rotors should be done together but I see a lot of people just doing pads. Is there a minimum thickness I should measure for?
Front rotors new are 28mm thick and min spec is 26mm. Rears are 24mm new and min spec is 22mm. They can be measured with a micrometer (I use a cheap digital one I got on amazon.) I got 2 sets of pads for a set of rotors on the front. And now on my 3rd set of pads on the orig rear rotors. In addition to thickness, check for cracks around the holes. If cracks extend to the rotor edge they should be repaced.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianU

As mentioned above, you should micrometer the discs. I purchased a fairly cheap extended reach digital micrometer at "Harbor Fright". Also, you can sometimes get a good idea of the amount of wear on the rotors by feeling the ridge on the outside edge of the rotor.
Changing pads, and even rotors is very straightforward. A couple of videos on the internet and a tutorial on the Pelican Parts website helped me.
Don't forget to bleed the brakes too after you've changed the pads.

Last edited by Spokayman; 04-04-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarify

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads - 08 Cayman