Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayman battery explodes!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 AM
HTM3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 993TT connected to the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. Connected to the battery through the quick connect/disconnect wire.. Not the alligator clips. I push the latch in so that the light turns off and keep the hood ajar. The car is covered with OEM cover. Its a tight cover. Do I have gas build up issues to worry about? I drive the car maybe once every 4-5 weeks but will do more during summer. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want the battery blowing up.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think it is still recommended that batteries be charged in open air......many do not follow this advise and are okay. if you are using a trickle/maintainer you have less to worry about compared to a charger putting 20 amps in it. i see your cars biggest threat is it dying of boredom because you drive it so little
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Battery exploding is scary stuff. In my younger days, I was removing a fairly new Sears Diehard battery out of a Chrysler that I was about to trade in. Had disconnected one cable(don't remember which since this was 30 yrs ago) & just happened to have moved my head from being right over the top of the battery when it exploded! Sounded like someone had shot a .38 right next to my head! A real Coming to Jesus moment to say the least! I only got acid on my arms & shirt, fortunately my eyes were spared! Never found one of the fill caps, guess it disappeared in the engine bay after slamming against the inside of the hood. I never put my head anywhere near a battery after that experience! Guess tomorrow I need to ensure I vent the battery on the one 928 that I keep on a Battery Tender!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on all the newer Porsche cars I've looked at (not that many, mostly my own) there is a vent on the battery that takes gasses outside of the compartment - I wonder if it was not connected. I've only seen batteries explode when discharged very rapidly.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayman battery explodes!!!!!!