Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche Owner

Hey everyone!

Just realized a life long dream and purchased a 2010 Cayman - first Porsche and couldn't be happier. Ok, maybe if it were paid off.

Quick clutch/pedal question - Do all Porsches have long clutch pedal travel before the friction point? Haven't driven stick in about 6 years but don't recall such long travel on prior cars.

My knee almost hits the steering wheel while letting out the clutch pedal - seems like it should engage earlier in the pedal travel. As I understand it, our cars use a hydraulic clutch so this isn't adjustable is it?

The car is brand new and only had about 26 miles on it when I bought it last week. I can't fathom it is a problem with the clutch being worn or burnt. If this is normal and can't be adjusted, any tips for this? I'm sure I'll get used to it - Just little things you only notice after writing the checks I guess...

Other than the pedal travel and long throw of the shifter I love this car! I finally get why THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

See ya on the back roads of South Carolina....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I love the Cayman. I had an 08 Cayman S for a while.

I find to have better clutch control I need to sit a bit further back so my legs are more extended than I usually have them in other manual transmission equipped cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a "little" long clutch pedal travel. Enjoy in good health!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah mine seems to be really bad - having a hard time getting used to first gear from a stop. Can't really feel the friction point on it. Seems to engage in the very last third of pedal travel. Test drive a 2011 Cayman yesterday and it was much better. The tech I talked noticed a little difference with mine and are talking to PCNA about replacing the slave cylinder and pressure plate. Trying to get used to it but it is affecting my enjoyment of the car....

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner