Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

23 yrs old, need Repair/maintenance schedules and costs for 07/08 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
remiks3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Having owned both, my experiance is there is no difference between maintenance costs of a base vs S. My first Pcar was a new 2005 987 base Boxster and was my daily driver. 16K miles and two years later it still had the original tires with slightly less than half the tread left and total maintenance costs was about $500 for three oil changes at the dealer. My next Pcar was a new 2007 Cayman S that I still own. It is my weekend car, spends weekdays covered in the garage, only has 7K miles on it, the original tires have at least 2/3 of their tread left and my total maintenance costs have been about $500 for three oil changes at the dealer. I broke them in easy and never had to add any oil between changes on either of them. Neither of them ever DE or AX.

I enjoy occasional spirited driving but outgrew beating on cars ...
What do you mean by DE or AX? I'm thinking of saving up for an 09 now, considering there has been a hp increase and it has integrated navi and an ipod connection.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Translations of Acronyms used re a Boxster

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...ymsyou%27llsee
Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

I think your money is better spent on an education or a home. If you have to save for tires you can't afford to own that car. I'm just trying to be honest with you. If you really have to have a Porsche try buying a nice used 944 that can be had for ~ $5000. It's a fun car and you'll be able to afford tires for it.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by morsini
I think your money is better spent on an education or a home. If you have to save for tires you can't afford to own that car. I'm just trying to be honest with you. If you really have to have a Porsche try buying a nice used 944 that can be had for ~ $5000. It's a fun car and you'll be able to afford tires for it.
I'm not necessarily saying I need to "save" for tires, I just want to be financially secure in case something goes wrong, in a worst case scenario. But I do agree with you, it's better to invest in a home and education. Since cars is one of my main passions, I want to explore all opportunities, and worry about shopping for a home later on. Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 PM
racer
Drifting

Caymans, near me, are $28-35K used. To be 23 and have that much cash laying around must be nice! I would tend to agree with some other posters.. buy something cheaper. A 944 (nice ones are $4-10K depending on version), a 911SC/Carrera ($10-20K), heck, even a 996 can be had for $18-24K) or even a 986 Boxster ($9-15K) would leave you plenty of money left over to modify as you wish AND afford to keep up on maintenance or the suprise engine failure.

Worst case scenario? you drop nearly $30K on a car and 6 months later, the engine fails. Now what do you do? I imagine "crate" motors are $15-20K installed? Used motors (with questionable history) maybe $10K

As a grumpy old man, I say, if your done with school, time to pony up and move out. That would be a great gift to mom and dad!

Might also want to run insurance costs by your agent.. Cayman S, 23, Single, living in/near NYC.. that sure isn't cheap!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
ccw1982
1st Gear

First i will start by saying ignore anyone who wants to talk you out of enjoying a dream simply because you're young....At 28 years old i've done all the right things, saved everything i've earned while rarely splurging on anything more than a new TV or computer. Then one day i woke up and realized i would rather create memories than wake up one day dreaming of all the things i should've done. Oh sure there are ALWAYS better ways to spend your money....but so what? Don't let anyone tell you you can't enjoy the luxeries of life until your reach a certain age...if you do that life will pass you by without you ever truly enjoying what it's like to live. Besides from what i gather just from your interest in the hidden costs of owning a porsche you're not an immature impulse buyer and likely are a fairly structered person who'll do just fine in life.

With that said i can't offer a lot in terms of expected maintaince repairs as i just bought mine 6 months ago...but i would highly recomend finding a porsche dealer who can offer an extended 3 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It will save you a lot of heartache and concern over any of these issues and from my experience with the porsche dealership in my area, they were incredibly professional and got me in and out in no time at all (i had a taillight that went out which was fully covered as part of the warranty). You want to enjoy your car, not worry about budgeting for a major mechanical failure...keep $2000 aside at all times for the occassional oil change, tune up, and tires
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by ccw1982
First i will start by saying ignore anyone who wants to talk you out of enjoying a dream simply because you're young....At 28 years old i've done all the right things, saved everything i've earned while rarely splurging on anything more than a new TV or computer. Then one day i woke up and realized i would rather create memories than wake up one day dreaming of all the things i should've done. Oh sure there are ALWAYS better ways to spend your money....but so what? Don't let anyone tell you you can't enjoy the luxeries of life until your reach a certain age...if you do that life will pass you by without you ever truly enjoying what it's like to live. Besides from what i gather just from your interest in the hidden costs of owning a porsche you're not an immature impulse buyer and likely are a fairly structered person who'll do just fine in life.

With that said i can't offer a lot in terms of expected maintaince repairs as i just bought mine 6 months ago...but i would highly recomend finding a porsche dealer who can offer an extended 3 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It will save you a lot of heartache and concern over any of these issues and from my experience with the porsche dealership in my area, they were incredibly professional and got me in and out in no time at all (i had a taillight that went out which was fully covered as part of the warranty). You want to enjoy your car, not worry about budgeting for a major mechanical failure...keep $2000 aside at all times for the occassional oil change, tune up, and tires
Great advice from ccw1982... probably the best advice i've received on any forum. After much research, I've decided to go with a 2008 Lexus IS-F. The Cayman S is a beautiful car but just too small and not practical for my needs.

And to the people that say "move out, it will be a gift to mom and dad"... I'm a 23 year old straight out of college, working hard and blessed with parents that encourage me to stay home. Because of this, I contribute to the mortgage even though I don't have to, and contribute in any other financial way possible. How many 23 year olds do that?

I've also been blessed with a father who stresses financial security and planning. That being said, I am basically doing what all of you did, the other way around. Car first (to accomplish my dreams) then a house. I WILL make it happen in a few years.

Hopefully this isn't my last post on Rennlist...for those of you who gave me sound advice, I will use it in the years to come if I ever decide to pursue a Porsche again.

Quick Reply: 23 yrs old, need Repair/maintenance schedules and costs for 07/08 Cayman S