Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Member, New Cayman S!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Old Member, New Cayman S!

Howdy guys and gals!!

Just saying hi and presenting my new-to-me Cayman S! May I present Flash (or perhaps Sven, or Summer, or who knows what name...just got him last week!). Flash is a 2006 Cayman S, 28k miles, with JIC coilovers, short shifter, and Techart body kit. Coming from a 993 Targa it is quite the difference! It's so modern by comparison. Power is about the same, and it feels so nimble on the street. We go to the track in 2 weekends. I'm really excited to see how the Cayman is on the track. Yeehaw!! I can hardly wait!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Looks tastefully modded - with the JIC coilovers you should really enjoy it on the track. Did you sell/trade the Targa?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
slavik
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

love it...very nicely modded exterior wise...what wheels are those?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot car in a great color. The body kit and coilovers are nice adds. Enjoy in good health.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by slavik
love it...very nicely modded exterior wise...what wheels are those?
Wheels are 19" Rennworks; however, I chose to switch back to the 18" Cayman S OEM wheels...cheaper and more tire choices that way. The previous owner will be selling those wheels with new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

I sold the Targa to a Rennlister in Salt Lake City, so it's still in the family. It was a really tough decision. But I had wanted a Cayman S since they came out, and at 184k miles on my Targa, I was ready for something younger.

Now to detune the detuning from Porsche factory!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock hp is nice, but with a few easy tweeks you can really wake up the car.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts
Default love the speed yellow

nice color!

you want to join H2R?

I can get you a special deal

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Howdy guys and gals!!

Just saying hi and presenting my new-to-me Cayman S! May I present Flash (or perhaps Sven, or Summer, or who knows what name...just got him last week!). Flash is a 2006 Cayman S, 28k miles, with JIC coilovers, short shifter, and Techart body kit. Coming from a 993 Targa it is quite the difference! It's so modern by comparison. Power is about the same, and it feels so nimble on the street. We go to the track in 2 weekends. I'm really excited to see how the Cayman is on the track. Yeehaw!! I can hardly wait!!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
nice color!

you want to join H2R?

Her SY may be faster than yours. We could get a whole run group of Caymans
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SWEET! Use her with the best of health to both of you!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JSF101
nice color!

you want to join H2R?

Thank you very much for the offer. I know they are running a GREAT deal right now, but I'm gonna have to pass. We like too many other tracks in the state to limit to one.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM
gmsracing
Pro

If you are experienced in track days and plan on pushing the car some, I would recommend a set of Pagid yellows and Motel 600 fluid for your upcoming track day. GT3 brake ducts up front for a little more air flow. (They are cheap.) For most people, that proves to be pretty successful for DE days. I had a couple of issues with fade with the stock pads and fluid on a couple of track days. I switched to the above setup and I haven't had any more issues.

Also, if you feel comfortable, I would leave off your PSM so you don't cook your rear brake calipers. They can turn brown/dark red if the system is being used a lot on the track. I left mine on as a "safety net" and my rear calipers are definitely a shade of red/brown now!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the brake suggestions. The P.O. just put new EBS Yellow Stuff pads on them, which are supposed to be good for the track. I have no experience with them, so can't say for sure. I'll turn PSM off permanently if that's possible...going to talk with my shop about that.

I'm in the white (advanced) group, so I plan to rail on the car a bit. No R comps yet...I'll wait to learn the handling of the car better, so I won't mask it with sticky tires.

I hear that adding LSD is a good upgrade. Any experience with that? Before/after comments?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Unfortunately you can't turn off PSM permanently. Even with the button off, it still can operate in the background. Just at a reduced level. Porsche's lawyers....

LSD's or TBD's are supposed to be a nice upgrade but I haven't gone that route yet. You also need to change swaybars to allow for the new handling dynamics. On track, the car will typically oversteer as you start applying power on corner exit with an LSD/TBD installed without changes. So, it becomes a bit pricey to add an LSD because you also need to pony up for the bars at the same time. You might be able to tune out some of that with the coilovers, but most people seem to solve it with the bars. An LSD (not a TBD) will also help in hard high speed braking. The back end can move around a bit on you as you are approaching a corner. The LSD will calm that down.

R-compounds are kind of a crap shoot on the 1st gen CS. There are some oiling issues under high load consistent left hand corners. There's a ton of discussion over at planet 9, but basically if you stay with street tires (PS2's, RE11's, RE050's, etc.) you are OK. If you start running fast with the Nitto's, PSC, Hoosiers, Toyo's, etc. you can run into air oil seperator/oil pick up issues. There are solutions, but they aren't 100%.

Basically, if you do the brakes and have a good street tire you will have a reliable car that you shouldn't have to worry too much about a catastrophic failure. Add a little power, a diff, suspension, and you'll have a car that will surprise many "faster" cars!

For my setup, I run Bilstein PSS9's lowered 1" (25mm), PS2's (but next will be RE11's), and the brake upgrade I mentioned earlier. I also have exhaust, ECU tune, desnork, plenumn, and air filter. Car is notable quicker overall compared to stock. I've had PS2's, RE050's, and the RE11's, and the RE11's are by far the better high performance tire of the treo. I plan on using them the next time I go out to the track.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool, thanks! I've heard of the hard left corner smoking issues. Very helpful info...thanks so much!

Hey, one other question: what is the ideal ride height or where could I find that? I did a search here but to no avail. The car has been lowered considerably, but the P.O. set the height for aethetics. It is likely too low, although I have not experienced any bump steer or other indicators. I cannot currently get into my driveway either...bit of a problem, that.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Cool, thanks! I've heard of the hard left corner smoking issues. Very helpful info...thanks so much!

Hey, one other question: what is the ideal ride height or where could I find that? I did a search here but to no avail. The car has been lowered considerably, but the P.O. set the height for aethetics. It is likely too low, although I have not experienced any bump steer or other indicators. I cannot currently get into my driveway either...bit of a problem, that.
Congratulations on your new Cayman!

Oil ingestion and smoking can be solved (nearly 100%) by installing the "motorsports" twin chamber Air/Oil separator. This is a must for a tracked Cayman (even on street tires IMO).

You will also want to address the power steering reliability issue. Can be solved through the use of a remote cooler and line/fitting replacements.

Oiling - deep sump will help. Accusump and replacement of the in sump dearation "swirl pots" are good mods as well.

Ride height - the Cayman (and 997 for that matter) do not like too low a ride height when using street springs and bars. The roll couple seems to increase too much and unless damped through stiff springs and bars and cause an undersireable amount of roll. Other may have specific data. The car also likes a stiff front bar and a bit of rake.

Enjoy the car.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Old Member, New Cayman S!