Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had a 2010 PDK Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone had a 2010 PDK Failure

Has anyone experienced a 2010 PDK failure. My base 2010 Cayman PDK failed last week. The Car was riding fine all of a sudden "Transmission Emergency Run" message appeared followed by the check engine light and the red explanation point. I tried pulling over than restarting the car to see if it was an electrical issue. No go. The car is struck in first gear. The dealership has had my car for almost a week and is waiting for Porsche North America to say put in a new controller or a new pdk. The one thing I do know is that porsche does not move to fast. Does anyone know how long it will take to get repaired from car dropped off to dealer to back in my possession. I got the car the last week of May, custom order only 1862 miles on the car.

thanks,

dave

Last edited by dave-t; 07-20-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2009 C2S with PDK and 16,000 miles with no issues, except a software update early in its life. Also a 2010 Cayman 2.9 with PDK and 7000 miles including some track and autocross time in sport plus. No issues either. Additionally last time i was at the Porsche Sport driving School i asked the maintenance folks if they had any issues with PDK. The same PDK C2 and C2S have been tracked for at least 120 days a year for almost two years with no issues. I would be interested as to what they find.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-t
Has anyone experienced a 2010 PDK failure. My base 2010 Cayman PDK failed last week. The Car was riding fine all of a sudden "Transmission Emergency Run" message appeared followed by the check engine light and the red explanation point. I tried pulling over than restarting the car to see if it was an electrical issue. No go. The car is struck in first gear. The dealership has had my car for almost a week and is waiting for Porsche North America to say put in a new controller or a new pdk. The one thing I do know is that porsche does not move to fast. Does anyone know how long it will take to get repaired from car dropped off to dealer to back in my possession. I got the car the last week of May, custom order only 1862 miles on the car.

thanks,

dave
For this to get resolved can take a few weeks. Sort of related: My 03 Turbo was found to have a leaking transmission seal. Transmission: 6-speed manual. Car under CPO warranty. Porsche techs (car at dealership service department) contacted Porsche to determine what to do: Remove and repair (seal the same as in the standard 996 cars)? Or replace? There was some mixup and the contact at Porsche insisted the Turbo transmission the same transmission as in the Carrera.

Since this was taking place from coast to coast or possibly even from USA to Germany) each exchange took a day.

Finally the word came down: Replace the transmission. Then the replacement transmission had to be ordered from Germany.

My car went into the shop May 31st and I didn't get it back until nearly 3 weeks later. Not all the time spent with the transmission back and forth but this delayed the car getting back to me probably a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks.

In short sorting out your car's PDK issues can take some time. You'll just have to be patient and be sure when you collect the car you treat it to a thorough test drive to ensure everything is working properly. Be prepared -- unlikely but still.. -- be prepared to find something not to your liking and thus have to leave the car for more work or re-work.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I heard from the dealership this morning and they have decided with Porsche's approval to remove and replace the whole PDK. Now I have to wait to find out if the tranny is coming from Germany or if it is in the state. If in Germany I could be in for a long wait. On the positive side a direction has been determined. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

dave-t
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they need to do more diagnostics first before replacing the whole PDK.

This problem has surfaced quite a bit on the 997 forum. The cure for it has been new DME typically. Sounds like what yours may be with the stuck in first condition. Others have been caused by the high pressure fuel pump needed for the new DFI engines. Appears others have been caused by poorly connected electrical cable.

Here's a sample post:

"I got the same message last week after starting to drive home in a mall parking lot. My engine did not die, but it wouldn't shift out of 1st. I "think" I saw the gear indicator increasing even though the engine just kept revving and the transmission at least felt like it was still in first. There was quite a bit of traffic around me, so I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I pulled over, turned off the car, and started back up, and everything seemed fine except for the check engine light. I took the car in to the dealer the next morning.

After a few days (around the holiday) plus 170 miles of testing and working with field support engineers in Atlanta, they were able to diagnose some kind of communication issue between the transmission and the control of fuel to the engine. At least that's the way they phrased it. They replaced the DME control module (DME/DFI) and sent me on my way. So far so good, but it's only be one day.

The shifting does seem a little different now, not sure if it just has to re-learn my driving style, but I'll keep you all posted.

Thought this information might help.

BTW - My car is a C4S coupe Oct. 08 build with 2,400 miles at the time. I just had the latest PDK software update done a couple weeks ago. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not."

Here's the link to the whole thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68228

Good luck with your repairs.

Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

So what's the outcome of this PDK issue?

Phil
Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Hello?

Earth to Dave.... come in Dave...

WTF... Over..

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member