Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman CS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
L.A. auto show is usually late Nov.-early Dec. So, we see it in about 5 months?
Press days are November 17 & 18...so well see it the 17th.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I've never seen PCCBs in any of the published lists of upgrades, but have seen a base price estimate of $66,330US. If both of those are true, it will be the cheapest PCCBs yet. I doubt if even PAG knows what the exact price will be at this point.
The leaked snippet said optional upgraded brakes. My source said they were the PCCBs. Wish they were the 380mm metals.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure seems like it is in the exact same spirit of the Boxster Spyder. Makes $en$e.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
According to my contact, the brakes are PCCB's...
I'vee also heard the PCCB's will be optional. Who the heck wants those anyways?? After a season or so you're in for $20K to replace them.

If you plan on tracking the car, you're much better off with upgrades such as Girodisc floating slotted rotors. I hope their statement of 'upgraded brakes' means bigger, floating steel rotors, not the PCCB.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Right after I went to that link Microsoft Security Essentials popped up and removed Exploit:Win32/CVE-2010-1885.A. Not 100% certain that is were it came from as I am not going back there ...

Here is the Microsoft Link that describes it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, we need some fresh information and a new link!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

ok so how really light weight will this be for a North America car?

Given that AC is pretty much a must have here for more then just daily use but future resale value.
Light weight wheels? Come now. They are lighter good sets of 18" after market wheels that you can get real good rubber for like 18" PS cups.
The ceramic brakes will likely be a pay for upgrade and who wants to have them when the brakes are worth more then the value of the car in 4 years?

Really end of day. If I were to option one with AC and standard steel brakes. How much lighter would it be? The Lightweight hatch with optional lexan window will not be available in NA.
Could I not just get a 2009 and replace the wheels with lighter wheels then the Cayman CS wheels, remove the stereo and speakers, replace the seats with some seats that are even lighter then the sport seats and be at the same weight?

333 compared to 320 hp. Not really much of a leap here, still has the same slow gearing that the 09 has. This car should be able to run faster then a 996 3.6 but for some reason has gears that make acceleration slower.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
otisdog
Pro

The lightweight hatch will be available in NA, but it won't have the lexan window. Don't forget the 30 lbs. for the aluminum doors, and the deleting of the spoiler mechanicals.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
ok so how really light weight will this be for a North America car?

Given that AC is pretty much a must have here for more then just daily use but future resale value.
Light weight wheels? Come now. They are lighter good sets of 18" after market wheels that you can get real good rubber for like 18" PS cups.
The ceramic brakes will likely be a pay for upgrade and who wants to have them when the brakes are worth more then the value of the car in 4 years?

Really end of day. If I were to option one with AC and standard steel brakes. How much lighter would it be? The Lightweight hatch with optional lexan window will not be available in NA.
Could I not just get a 2009 and replace the wheels with lighter wheels then the Cayman CS wheels, remove the stereo and speakers, replace the seats with some seats that are even lighter then the sport seats and be at the same weight?

333 compared to 320 hp. Not really much of a leap here, still has the same slow gearing that the 09 has. This car should be able to run faster then a 996 3.6 but for some reason has gears that make acceleration slower.
You may have some good points. I agree with you on:

1. "333 compared to 320 hp. Not really much of a leap here, still has the same slow gearing that the 09 has." - If they get the 333 with changes to the plenem/throttle body then it's not worth much. If not, the IPD Plenum/GT3 throttle body could give another 20 HP. Hoping they may change the gearing, but not holding my breath.

2. Wheels will have to be replaced with 18's.

3. Definitely steel brakes - anyone with track experience will agree with that.

I would counter with:

1. You won't get significantly lighter seats that are as good (with airbag) for significantly less $'s.

2. I'm hoping they offer a 'bolt-in' 'european only' rollbar. If so, this would be worth a lot, and might only be easily done with the CS. These things cost a lot of money.

3. If they're going to take 150 - 200 lbs off the stock Cayman, they'd better do it by more than eliminating options. This car has got to outperform the Spyder by a meaningful margin.

4. It's got to have better downforce/aero than stock. Plus it should look cool.

I'm first on the list and hoping for a 'street driver' that I can dedicate for mostly track use. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Cayman CS