Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More than 400HP Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More than 400HP Cayman?

Anyone out there have experience with putting more than 400HP through the Cayman's stock gearbox? If so, what can it reliably handle and in what situation? Ie. street tires, race tires, etc?

FWIW, I have an early S that was converted to the "GTR" by Farnbacher (wheeee) with the 3.8L X51 producing 400HP or so. It also had some early crappy LSD. I did the One Lap in 2008 (most of it, before a deer took us out near the end) and am fairly certain that did in the gearbox thanks to the oiling problem that people tracking Caymans have since uncovered (it wasn't discovered until well after, but it took a long time to get the car's bodywork fixed, and then some mild street driving uncovered it).

So a stock gearbox is going back in with a better LSD and the oiling mod, but now I'm just wondering if I can expect this to be an ongoing issue with this much power, or what. Anyone have any experience, or know of shops with experience, putting big power in these with stock transmissions?

--Donnie
Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

wow.... nice.... been thinking bout a cayman.. but dont know if i can jump into the mid engine or not... I understand a 10K hit to upgrade the brakes ... that true?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
wow.... nice.... been thinking bout a cayman.. but dont know if i can jump into the mid engine or not... I understand a 10K hit to upgrade the brakes ... that true?
You are probably referring to the ABS issue experienced by some. IMO, and we race a Cayman pretty hard (see avatar), this is not a major issue if you run the proper front/rear diameter stagger and do not stab the brakes.

A smaller rear tire and/or an abrubt pedal can cause an issue with the ABS/PSM contol than can cause a hard pedal.

For the OP - can not offer any experience with 400 HP Caymans, but we have raced a 300 RWHP (~ 340 HP?) Cayman for several years using the same, stock gearbox without issue. When it goes we will probably improve the oil cooling, but for now no problem.

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't remember the cost to upgrade the brakes to 911 ABS, but it wasn't nearly $10k. Expensive, yes. Necessary? Depends on what you do with it. To me it wasn't about the hard pedal issue, it was the fact that the ABS is slow. Tire flat-spotting slow, or close. Way less than optimal, especially on street tires, which is what I was having to work around since I was setting up for the One Lap. Still haven't had it on track on r-comps. But the ABS is just WAY better now than it was, that's for sure.

Sadly, there's little Cayman left of my car. 997 front end, GT3 (and RS) suspension bits, X51 engine, etc. But this gearbox may be a very limiting issue for further development. *sigh*

--Donnie
Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

These guys would be able to answer for you.

http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/
Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Thanx!! Sometimes we are told things and take them as gospel! I am quite interested in the cayman race build, but was being told had to switch to BMW anti lock ?.... Either way good to Hear this!

Kinda like. When I. Ran my 02 cup cars several folks swore they had to increase front caliper size ??.. I was like um they raced these in the super cup series on these calipers,,,,, oh you must be better than the wolf henzlers etc. In DE's.... Lol

Originally Posted by Krokodil
You are probably referring to the ABS issue experienced by some. IMO, and we race a Cayman pretty hard (see avatar), this is not a major issue if you run the proper front/rear diameter stagger and do not stab the brakes.

A smaller rear tire and/or an abrubt pedal can cause an issue with the ABS/PSM contol than can cause a hard pedal.

For the OP - can not offer any experience with 400 HP Caymans, but we have raced a 300 RWHP (~ 340 HP?) Cayman for several years using the same, stock gearbox without issue. When it goes we will probably improve the oil cooling, but for now no problem.

Cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
These guys would be able to answer for you.

http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/
Yes. Talk to the guys at TPC. They are putting more power through these gearboxes than anyone else out there.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

We arent seeing any issues with the stock transmission. On the higher HP cars we normally recommend a LWFW and our 997S/X51 clutch. Of the 200+ cars that are running i have yet to hear a complaint about the trans.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Donnie: Could you elaborate on the transmission oiling mod ?? Are you referring to the tranny coolers the interseries guys have installed ??

Jack
Old 05-08-2010, 12:28 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Donnie: Could you elaborate on the transmission oiling mod ?? Are you referring to the tranny coolers the interseries guys have installed ??
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm getting my info third-hand. I've got a personal mechanic who works on my car, and he was the one doing the talking to the gearbox guy (someone in Colorado is all I remember). My gearbox is in, clutch is bled, and we're doing a few random small bits before the car will be running again next week. Gonna do a light break-in on the tranny to make sure things are okay, then put the cooler on. But supposedly the cooler probably isn't really needed...but since you have to have a pump and line run for the starvation problem, might as well put a cooler in there, too.

The plumbing is in place for my cooler, just capped off right now.

--Donnie

Quick Reply: More than 400HP Cayman?