Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman -- where to look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
86Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Cayman -- where to look?

My friend needs a reliable new car for work and has asked for suggestions. He is a car guy but has several know-it-all types offering suggestions.

The one thing he won’t budge on is a price that's close to what it would take to buy a new 2009 BMW 328i, I'm guessing $31K for a stripped one. That's the lead vehicle at this point.

I'm trying to talk him into a low mileage used Cayman for that kind of money, or less. He's OK with stick or A/T because he does a lot of bumper to bumper.

Doesn’t need the S. He'd be very picky about condition (of course all original paint, no accidents ever, one owner, no engine work, new smelling inside).

- So where does he look on-line guys?
- Are Caymans OK commuting cars?
- As FTD as everyone says?
- Available low mileage used for around $25 - 30K?

About the reliability...

- Is it good like the aircooled era cars (my own included) or crappy like those early Boxsters and 996s?
- Are some model years or specs to be avoided?
- Any caveats at all?

So far he’s considered…

- New 2009 328i 4D -- Good value at around $30K. This is for stripped one.
- New 2009 328i 4D -- Fair value for about $35K for options like navi, and pkgs this and that. A shame the only thing of value in the pkg is the navi they should sell separately.
- New 2009 MB C330 -- Cheaply made inside, tiny back seat, feminine looking rear end, worse handling and ride than the 328.
- New 2008 5-series -- An ugly car for an old man.
- New 2009 Audi A5 2.0 -- Without a lot of options.

Thanks guys. P.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Lots of questions but I'll take a stab:

First off, based on the list of prospective cars, the Cayman is a bit out of character - 2 seat sports car vs. mostly 4D sedans. Has he even driven one yet and does he realize the compromises that are inherent with the car? Second, I just did a run of Manheim wholesale values on a 2007 Cayman base. The range wholesale is $26K - 32K making it look very difficult to hit if his price range is $31K. The S models only go for more. That said, he may have a very hard time finding one within his range.

Then:

1. places to look online: autotrader.com, rennlist classifieds, planet-9 (cayman club), 6speedonline, cars.com
2. I think the Cayman is a very easy commuting car but YMMV
3. available in that range: probably not
4. Reliability is considered pretty robust with the exception of the exception of a few known issues which can be found in a service history: RMS/IMS issues (search); oil starvation when tracking; power steering overheat / failure while tracking. The last two are moot if the car only sees the street.
5. Only caveat is to have a good local shop to a full pre purchase inspection (PPI) before buying

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
KLVA
Burning Brakes

Look at 'Porschepurist.com'

They track almost everything for sale relating to Porsche

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by 86Coupe
. . . Doesn’t need the S. He'd be very picky about condition (of course all original paint, no accidents ever, one owner, no engine work, new smelling inside).

- So where does he look on-line guys?
- Are Caymans OK commuting cars?
- As FTD as everyone says?
- Available low mileage used for around $25 - 30K?

About the reliability...

- Is it good like the aircooled era cars (my own included) or crappy like those early Boxsters and 996s?
- Are some model years or specs to be avoided?
- Any caveats at all?

So far he’s considered…
Are you sure he wants a sports car? (None of the others he has considered are)

+1 with ChrisF's answers/suggestions; would add:

-CarMax.com (where I found mine)
-Great commuting car, IMO (mine is a DD); the base model also gets better MPG
-FTD? Hell yeah! Try one
-Low mileage and <$30K? Possibly, but might require some looking and waiting.

Reliability: No major issues compared to previous models (e.g. RMS). There are some issues regarding tracking/racing the car, but that doesn't sound like it would apply here. The Cayman recently ranked in the top 10 of Consumers Report's owner's satisfaction polls for sports cars. Would recommend getting a PPI and having the engine rev data pulled off the DME to check for signficant over-revs (if MT).
Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
mubai
5th Gear

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I belong to another one for my truck: www.trailvoy.com. I am in the market for a Porsche Cayman S. I've wanted one for a long time and now I have enough money to buy a used one. I could stretch the budget and get a new one, but I'm not sure if I want to go there right now. Anyway, I'll start checking the sites that have been posted on here.

Anyway to get into auctions? I don't even know how to start, but if anyone has info about auctions in the Philly area that would be great.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
mubai
5th Gear

Another question, is there an aftermarket headlight and tail light LED mod for the 1st generation Caymans?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
wildmark
3rd Gear

Just joined myself but what's annoying is that 'Mubai' your hijacking this guys thread...start your own.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 PM
mubai
5th Gear

Originally Posted by wildmark
Just joined myself but what's annoying is that 'Mubai' your hijacking this guys thread...start your own.
You're kinda being over sensitive. It's really not annoying. It's a faux pas on my part. I'll start my own.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
wildmark
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mubai
You're kinda being over sensitive. It's really not annoying. It's a faux pas on my part. I'll start my own.
Actually IT IS annoying!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 AM
mubai
5th Gear

Actually IT IS annoying!
Yup, definitely overly sensitive. You're now hijacking the thread because of your high sensitivity. Really, relax. Everything that's currently wrong in your life will get better. No need to take out your frustrations here.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM
wildmark
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mubai
Yup, definitely overly sensitive. You're now hijacking the thread because of your high sensitivity. Really, relax. Everything that's currently wrong in your life will get better. No need to take out your frustrations here.
..says you, this will be my last post on this matter, I have a life, it should be your too and let the OP get the info he's after.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
mubai
5th Gear

..says you, this will be my last post on this matter, I have a life, it should be your too and let the OP get the info he's after.
You started this with your over-sensitivity. I'd been done posting, but your issues led to this outcome. Light some candles, take a warm bath, use the stress ball...you're too wound up.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86Coupe

I had a 2000 996 for 7 years, and had ZERO problems with it. That was a great car. I sold it with 120,000 miles on it with the ORIGINAL clutch, and that car was at the track a minimum of ten times.

The Cayman is a great car too. I do enjoy driving it, and I feel that Porsche's quality has improved in the last few years. I don't know if you'll be able to find one for much less than $32,000 in perfect condition though.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
SoonerTrent
AutoX

I'm in a similar boat - has your friend considered a new 135i as well? It's going to be about the same price for a 328i (depending on options) but has the HP of the 335i. Plus the 135i offers the sportiness of the Cayman (sort-of) with a (somewhat) usable backseat.

My 0.02.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My Dad bought a new 135i in October and he loves it, drives it everyday (rain/snow/shine). I've only driven it once, and I haven't driven a Cayman so I can't compare them, but it was a really fun car to drive... a rocket.

I think the only thing to do is go out and drive them... the car will choose you in the end.

Quick Reply: Used Cayman -- where to look?