Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Cayman S to replace my totaled car. More choices around....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Looking for Cayman S to replace my totaled car. More choices around....

than I thought. Good new and bad news.

Someone found a nice one down in Texas. Kind of a stripper car but comes with PCCB brakes. A bit tempting and price real good.

My question is I don't intend to race/track car. Just street driving and not real spirited at that. Wondering how PCCB brakes will hold up as a sometimes commuter car and long distance tourer?

Anyone with experience with PCCB brakes on Cayman (or Boxster) and can comment? Should I avoid this car or will brakes prove to be reliable and no trouble. I can buy a lot of cast iron rotors and pads for what a new set of PCCB brakes cost should I have to replace these prematurely, like ever.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if you aren't pushing the car on street much, you will not really benefit much from PCCB. so why spend the money. it does make wheels easy to clean as very little braking dust with PCCB.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Agree with Mooty, but if the car comes with them, you won't have issues on the street, not different than iron brakes except much less brake dust. Maintenance, pads and rotor replacement, is much high cost of course, other than that there is no downside that I can think of.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Car discounted quite heavily so PCCB option nearly "free".

Originally Posted by mooty
if you aren't pushing the car on street much, you will not really benefit much from PCCB. so why spend the money. it does make wheels easy to clean as very little braking dust with PCCB.
Trouble is car has so few other options. I really like Bi-Xenon lights and would very much like to have auto climate control and Sport Chrono (w/out PASM) nice, but save for PCCB that's about all this car has going for it.

Oh that and it is of course a new S with 6-speed manual and all the standard Cayman S standard features.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Macster
than I thought. Good new and bad news.

Someone found a nice one down in Texas. Kind of a stripper car but comes with PCCB brakes. A bit tempting and price real good.

My question is I don't intend to race/track car. Just street driving and not real spirited at that. Wondering how PCCB brakes will hold up as a sometimes commuter car and long distance tourer?

Anyone with experience with PCCB brakes on Cayman (or Boxster) and can comment? Should I avoid this car or will brakes prove to be reliable and no trouble. I can buy a lot of cast iron rotors and pads for what a new set of PCCB brakes cost should I have to replace these prematurely, like ever.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Stripper/PCCB??? Be very careful that the hell has not been beaten out of it.

tino
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Brand new car. Not demo. Not loaner. I will of course have ot see what current....

Originally Posted by soltino
Stripper/PCCB??? Be very careful that the hell has not been beaten out of it.

tino
odometer reading is but if it is very low I'm not worried. My '08 Cayman S I bought 4/5 had just 76 miles on it. Not bad for a car that's sat around for nearly 12 months. Looked at several other new leftover '08 Caymans and they had similar low miles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I have over 37,000 on my PCCB equipped 997S and I absolutely love them. I'm not a track junkie any more and appreciate the unstrung weight, improved handling, and lack of dust. They go a long way with zero maintenance. I still have a lot of pad life left in them. The only thing I have learned is that you should not let the pads go as far as conventional brakes because once you start to affect the rotors with a rough pad you will shorten the life of the rotors.

If they have not been abused go for it!

If I were ordering again, I would order PCCBs again.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Talked with senior tech at local dealer. He said PCCB a great option...

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have over 37,000 on my PCCB equipped 997S and I absolutely love them. I'm not a track junkie any more and appreciate the unstrung weight, improved handling, and lack of dust. They go a long way with zero maintenance. I still have a lot of pad life left in them. The only thing I have learned is that you should not let the pads go as far as conventional brakes because once you start to affect the rotors with a rough pad you will shorten the life of the rotors.

If they have not been abused go for it!

If I were ordering again, I would order PCCBs again.
Said that the lower unsprung weight makes for much improved handling and suspension response. Car accelerates quicker and stops quicker.

Since I do not track car extreme braking performance or superior braking performance under track conditions not important to me but since I drive quite a bit any extra comfort, performance in accel/deaccel and handling of some interest to me.

Mech. also said brakes ought to last 100,000 miles. Told him that's not very impressive cause I managed 50,000 out of stock pads and 100,000 miles out of stock rotors. Said in my case given my driving PCCB brakes ought to last 500,000 miles.

Since I have 220,000+ miles on my current Porsche essentially PCCB brakes would be lifetime brakes.

Have not received settlement yet for totaled car. The car with PCCB is gloss black, not even basalt black, but I'm still tempted to buy the car should it be available when I get settlment and can replace my Cayman.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM
PopsRacer
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I don't intend to race/track car. Just street driving and not real spirited at that.
May I suggest a Prius?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Sure, but I bought this instead...

Originally Posted by PopsRacer
May I suggest a Prius?

It has a battery.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 AM
PopsRacer
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Enjoy it in good health. I couldn't do the Prius either.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

prius drivers are the absolute most reckless ppl on the highway. they OWN the streets and cut me off all day long.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy it, then sell the PCCB's. Or, trade them for some C2S brakes and some cash!

That way you get to re-coup some of your expenses of the purchase.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fooshe
Buy it, then sell the PCCB's. Or, trade them for some C2S brakes and some cash!

That way you get to re-coup some of your expenses of the purchase.
Little behind in your reading are you?

The CS with PCCB didn't get the nod. Some people here and elsewhere turned me on to the 996 Turbo and I found a nice 03 with 9500 miles just 30 miles away at dealer. (S/B pic of car somewhere above in one of my earlier posts.)

Bought the car June 14th. Everything just fine until I inadvertently used it to hunt mule deer.

Car off road now since July 3rd when accident happened (on 50 20 miles west of Ely NV). Been at Fremont Collision Center in Fremont CA now for several weeks getting repaired. Sort of hoped I'd get call Friday car ready but no phone call came.

This coming week I expect car to be finished and ready for me to start enjoying it again.

Had some problems with my insurance provider regarding the claim which held up gettng the repairs started. I do *not* know which is the worst experience: Hitting the mule deer with my *new* Turbo or having to deal with my car insurance provider over a less than $20K comprehensive claim.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That I am...I did not even see that. What do you expect from a newbie?!

As luck would have it, I am in the insurance game. Spent 10 years in claims. Can I help with the insurance issue, or should I shut up and read more?

Quick Reply: Looking for Cayman S to replace my totaled car. More choices around....