Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Cayman S to replace my totaled car. More choices around....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Fooshe
That I am...I did not even see that. What do you expect from a newbie?!

As luck would have it, I am in the insurance game. Spent 10 years in claims. Can I help with the insurance issue, or should I shut up and read more?

Thanks for the kind offer of help. I think I have things under control.

Getting lots of practice: Boxster hit in Feb. this year. Front and rear bumper covers and some minor sheet metal damage. Other driver's fault. Then brand new (only 25 days old) Cayman S hit in May. Again other driver's fault. In both cases other driver on cell phone. (Damn cell phones!) Cayman declared a total loss.

Now in July I hit a mule deer that decided to jump out in front my Turbo. Comprehensive claim. (Neither deer or me was on cell phone! I never use one in car and seldom use on any other time.)

Insurance company refused to pay for tow. Wanted me to have car temporarily fixed and then drive it home -- around 600 miles -- for permanent repairs. Shop in Ely not qualified to repair Porsches. Insurance company would only agree to tow car to one of its shops but none of its shops around --- within approx. 300 mile radius -- qualified to repair Porsches.

I had to get car towed at my own expense to a shop that was qualified to repair the car and a shop recognized by insurance company. Even then insurance company refused to agree to pay for proper repairs, repairs spelled out in Porsche Collision Center Approval documentation.

Yanked car out of this 1st shop to an independent shop that is an approved Porsche repair facility. Even then insurance company refused to pay for Celette Bench fixture/jig rental, these items necessary to ensure car's hardpoints in position, all as per Prosche and spelled out in its Collision Center Approval documentation.

Anyhow, car about ready to go into dealer (from body shop) for mechanical work: Cooling system, A/C system, alignment, etc. Might be ready this week.

When I have all receipts for repairs and have the car back and checked out, then I go after my out of pocket expenses.

These things can't be rushed and I'm lining up all the ducks. When they're aligned...

No need to shut up. Post away. That's what makes these places useful and enjoyable. Everybody chipping in.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Looking for Cayman S to replace my totaled car. More choices around....