Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust - can you hear it open and close?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
JSD1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Sports Exhaust - can you hear it open and close?

Quick question for those with the PSE (I have an RS60).

Now that the weather is nice enough to put the top down, I've noticed that when the PSE opens and closes, I can definitely hear it - and it doesn't exactly sound good. Sort of a scraping noise, or like a series of very fast click noises (so close together that they sort of blend into a single noise). I don't remember it making that noise before.

It happens both when the exhaust opens and closes, although it's a slightly different pitch in each case.

At idle, it's very noticeable when you toggle the SPORT button. But even under moderate acceleration you can hear it over the engine noise as the exhaust valve opens and closes (the PSE shuts off at certain speeds in low gears). Now that I'm aware of it, it's loud enough to be noticeable even with the top up.

Normal? Anyone else with PSE care to briefly comment on whether or not your car behaves similarly?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've got it on my car, and it works great. The switch activates a solenoid, which in turn opens a bypass to the pipe. It doesn't make any mechanical noise on my car at all during the activation process. There's a lot of heat and moisture in exhausts, so I'd not be surprised if these mechanisms bind and freeze up as the cars age. Still under warranty as a 2008, right? I'd have the dealer check it out.

Duane
Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I hear very similar noises from my 08 RS60. Plus, I have actually recently noticed a "new" tone to the exhaust when under hard acceleration with the sport exhaust turned off. It sounds like a muffled version of the wide open exhaust sound... by that I mean louder and with a slightly different pitch than ever before with the gates closed under hard accel. But the sound with the gates wide open is still one of the sweetest I've ever heard!

I've got about 22k on mine now, and coming up on 2 years of ownership.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I hear it when I first start. When I start it it's open and as soon as the engines idles it closes. That's the only time I hear it.

I'd have to pay more attention to see if I hear it as I drive or at idle.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i get a little rattle whenever i engage the sport after start up - that seems to be just the mechanical activation though and disappears - sort of sounds like a heat shield rattling on a cat converter for a brief second & then gone
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM
gtkyl
5th Gear

Mine acts the same way; sounds like a valve is moving back and forth as the rpm changes ...

If I activate it after the car is warmed up, sometimes it appears that the valve doesn't open all the way and the exhaust sounds different (than if I had activated upon startup). Oh well, it's not like we paid for this option. I actually prefer the "normal" sound but I do use it to keep it functioning.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust - can you hear it open and close?