Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, just test drove the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
singletrack1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$56K on a $62K car is not below invoice
Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by singletrack1
$56K on a $62K car is not below invoice
Actually invoice on a $62K CaymanS is $54K. There is an $8K mark-up. That makes it so much better now doesn't it

Regardless, its EVEN WORSE than I originally thought. And yes, there are a ton of people picking these cars up AT INVOICE...some have even purchased BELOW INVOICE..reportedly.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Actually invoice on a $62K CaymanS is $54K. There is an $8K mark-up. That makes it so much better now doesn't it

Regardless, its EVEN WORSE than I originally thought. And yes, there are a ton of people picking these cars up AT INVOICE...some have even purchased BELOW INVOICE..reportedly.
I think that it's easy enough to get an '06 CS for around invoice. To get one below invoice, my experience is that it has to have a lot of miles on the car. For example I saw a CS for $55K which stickered for $65K, but it had 1700 miles on the odometer. It was their demo, but man that car ws a dream to drive. It had the sports shifter, and it seemd faster than any 911 I ever drove.

The only thing that scares me is that I'm certain that car was broken-in according to Porsche's recommendtions, but I'm not certain that really matters since some of the cars that weren't babbied when new seem to be the fastest.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
singletrack1
Track Day

It isn't just Caymans selling at near invoice. Most left over 06's are going for that - whether a 911 or Boxster. I don't think leftover 06 Cayman's selling at invoice is anything abnormal. This happens every year to all car manufactorers.

If you use another poster's argument that invoice on the CS is the "true" price due to them selling at invoice, you can say the same thing about any car out there as leftover cars are all pretty much selling at invoice or lower.

Porsche doesn't traditionally subsidize dealers on leftover models like most other manufacturers do, which allows them to sell them for below invoice. They will do special lease deals, etc.

BTW - I got $5K off on a $65K 07 CS. Probably could have done better...

If you try to sell any car in the first 12 - 24 months, you are going to take a large hit. The only exception is Ferrari.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by singletrack1
It isn't just Caymans selling at near invoice. Most left over 06's are going for that - whether a 911 or Boxster. I don't think leftover 06 Cayman's selling at invoice is anything abnormal. This happens every year to all car manufactorers.

If you use another poster's argument that invoice on the CS is the "true" price due to them selling at invoice, you can say the same thing about any car out there as leftover cars are all pretty much selling at invoice or lower.

Porsche doesn't traditionally subsidize dealers on leftover models like most other manufacturers do, which allows them to sell them for below invoice. They will do special lease deals, etc.

BTW - I got $5K off on a $65K 07 CS. Probably could have done better...

If you try to sell any car in the first 12 - 24 months, you are going to take a large hit. The only exception is Ferrari.
Take a look at the Corvettes and what they retain 12 months hense. I sold my '05 C6 (not even a Z06 which has an even higher resale value) 14 months after I bought it for 83% of MSRP. I had 6,500 miles on it and spotless. I bought it in November '04 and sold it in Jan '06. 2005 was the first year of the new body style and they were not heavily discounting the left over '05s when I sold mine privately in TWO days. I just didn't think Porsche would do the heavy discounting in the first model year. I can't believe a Chevrolet held its value better than my CaymanS in the first year.

It all goes back to the fact that the CaymanS is somewhat overpriced.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Maybe, but it could also be that you were lucky to find the right buyer for your car. The C6 is a nice car but I would never consider buying one because of the horrible Chevy Dealers near me. The sales and service departments at these Dealers are the pits.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1

Maybe, but it could also be that you were lucky to find the right buyer for your car. The C6 is a nice car but I would never consider buying one because of the horrible Chevy Dealers near me. The sales and service departments at these Dealers are the pits.
It was my first and last Vette. I'm certainly not saying that Chevy is good. Although, I do think they make great trucks.

It was not just the Vette I owned, its the majority of them out there. There are guys with Z06's selling them with <5K miles for 90% or MSRP. They just tend to hold their value here in the US. I don't know why. The build quality is ****.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

There are guys with Z06's selling them with <5K miles for 90% or MSRP.

I assume that you are talking about the C6 Z06. The C5 Z06 didn't hold its value particularly well from my limited experience.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

True on the C5 Z06. Value has plummeted in the last 6 months - 1 year. I sold my 2004 Z06 in November '06 with less than 10k miles for $34k. It was a $52k car new. Now I'm looking for a replacement and need to get to the P-dealer to check out the CS in more detail. Just don't know if it's worth the extra $$$ over a Boxster S that is a little more dual-purpose for street/track. Guess I'll drive both to see.

And I'd agree that overall build quality on the vette wasn't very good - some of the parts could have come off a Cavalier. The engine, tranny and suspension were pretty stout and the car was definitely fast. The brakes were not meant to stand up to track, though. I was going through rotors every other weekend, sometimes sooner. Replacement rotors were only $24 at Napa, so that was nice.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Just don't know if it's worth the extra $$$ over a Boxster S that is a little more dual-purpose for street/track. Guess I'll drive both to see

Yes, you must test drive both cars. Everyone says that all Porsche did was to add a hardtop to the Boxster and rename it Cayman, but the cars handle so much differently that they drive like completely different cars IMO. I know this is trite, but another thing that I like about the Cayman is that you don't see many of them on the road as compared to the Boxster which is relatively common in my area.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to belabor the point- I drove a CS and LOVED it. Year end ( summer) 66K MSRP for 57K. But the fact that there were so many on the lot and the fact that I had only seen two on the road- made me think that the car was overproced for its market and value. The wisdom of the crowds had spoken. When quired about the amount of inventory- the dealer said since we are a high volume dealer PCNA "gave " them more inventory.

Fast forward SIX months- several of the "gift" inventory remain on the lot.

I have a deposit for the mythical Cayman RS/CS whatever/ We'll see. But aside from those specials, I 'll stick with my broken in 996 C4S

Scott.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I test drove the Cayman S yesterday and found a lot I liked and some things I was not sure about.

Good: The engine, gearchange, handling, turn-in, in fact just about everything.

Concerns,
wind noise seemed a little high over 140km/hr - not a hugh improvement on my boxster. Was this the one car or are they all the same?
Small buttons and low location of the navigation means it takes your eyes far off the road for longer than it should.

I Like the car and might get one but it would it is clearly more of a sports car than the 911 or boxster.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
I test drove the Cayman S yesterday and found a lot I liked and some things I was not sure about.

Good: The engine, gearchange, handling, turn-in, in fact just about everything.

Concerns,
wind noise seemed a little high over 140km/hr - not a hugh improvement on my boxster. Was this the one car or are they all the same?
Small buttons and low location of the navigation means it takes your eyes far off the road for longer than it should.

I Like the car and might get one but it would it is clearly more of a sports car than the 911 or boxster.
When I took my test drive, I didn't notice any wind noise at 75 MPH but I was only on the highway for a few minutes. Most of my driving was on back roads where the CS shines. My last 911 was a 993, and the CS clearly outhandles the 993. BTW the car that I test drove had a sports shifter which I thought was awesome.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I too had only a short run on the autobahn and, because if the winter tyres, I didn't go over 250 km/hr. (150 MPH). There are advantages to being in Germany....
Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rich@newcountry
The Cayman is the best handling car I have driven yet. 4K below invoice is awesome. We are selling ours at about invoice. Its too bad that ppl dont realize their actual value. I wonder if its porsches fault for the caymans lack of sales. They tried keeping it too far away from a 911 when actuallity it handles better!!! Maybee if they get some more hp and better 0-60 times this car would be flying out of our showrooms. I am happy with it as is.
To a large number of people, the 911 will be the one and only true Porsche regardless of the performance of some of the other Porsche models. Based on the resale value of 993s, it appears that many Porsche enthusiasts believe that only air cooled 911s are true 911s.

As to the reason why Caymans aren't selling well, it also could be due to the fact that it received bad press for being priced higher than a Boxster. Notwithstanding Porsches comments to the contrary, many believe that the Cayman is nothing more than the coupe version of the Boxster, and typically coupes should be less expensive than their convertible counterparts.

Quick Reply: Wow, just test drove the Cayman S