Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 s2/951 vs Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM
BachWerks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a huge gap in between, I'm back into a Porsche. As of Thursday, there's a 2007 Cayman S in the driveway.

Back many moons ago I ran a 951 that I had molested with some go fast parts. I loved the balance of the car, handled great. But the turbo lag was something that had to be managed to drive smoothly. Even stock.

The Cayman is just too different to compare IMO.

If you want a dedicated track car that is affordable to run, the 951 is a great choice. If you want something to drive on nice summer days, weekend getaway, do a few track days here and there. The Cayman is the clear winner.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the Cayman or mentally prepare to do a lot of work on the 951 initially and more frequently.

If $ is a factor, consider a Boxster with an upgrade IMS (or upgrade the IMS)

If it's going to be purely a fun car and not a DD then:
Cayman is mid-engine and IMO no front engine can compare w/a mid engine fun-wise (drive both, you'll see I'm right)
or
get a motorcycle, no car can compare w/a bike fun-wise
Old 09-09-2017, 03:13 PM
jgude
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is difficult to compare a 30 year old car with a new one. Is a 1980s 911 a better car than an early 356, yes it is. Is a Cayman S better than an S2 or a 951, yes it is.
I currently own a 951 and a 944S2; they both are great cars. I have a friend with two Cayman S types and a couple of Boxsters; they are great cars. I drove his Cayman S and was very impressed; I think it the best all around sports car that I have driven.
The real question is what do you like. If you need a Porsche for your daily driver, than the newer cars are certainly your best bet. If you are a hot rod type, and want to do your own work, than the 951 is a the better choice. As for me, my 944S2 is a nice drive in tight autocrosses, and the 951 is a bigger kick for track days. A bonus is that they are paid for.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:12 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Resurrecting this thread again, because this question has been on my mind a lot lately. I have a reasonable amount of experience with transaxle cars, having owned a 968 coupe (first P-car), several NA 944s and currently a decently modified 944 turbo (Koni suspension, upgraded springs/torsion bars, upgraded wheels and tires, chipped, with Tial wastage). I was just out of high school when the 944T came out and I have loved them ever since, so when I look at mine or drive it, it really feels meaningful and rewarding.

However...a friend of mine is on his third Cayman (early Cayman S, Cayman GTS, now GT4), my brother has an 06 Cayman S, and a work colleague just closed a deal on a beautiful 06 Cayman S. They are amazing cars, very responsive and in higher rev ranges, impressively fast. And of course, just beautiful. IMO, the 987.1 Cayman is the most beautiful modern Porsche.

But my 951 is no slouch. I love the 80's analog feel and look of the interior, and now with good suspension and modern performance tires, it handles very well. And when you hit the sweet spot on boost coming out a turn, it is truly exhilarating. But I work on all my cars (everyday cars, plus 914, 986, and 951) and the turbo is by far the most difficult and expensive car to DIY that I've ever owned.

So it's interesting to see transaxle car prices moving up as Cayman prices have continued to move down (though for how much longer?). My friend who just closed on his Cayman S is paying $20k for a 58k mile pristine car that's had a very good PPI at a Porsche dealer. What an amazing car for the money! Selling my 951 for $8k and my Boxster for $6k would leave a modest balance to get into a car like that. It sure would look great next to my 914. How much would I miss the 951?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't miss the 951 unless you keep it and get in it every once in a while to be reminded of the differences. I still have mine and have not driven it once besides back and forth to storage each spring and winter since I got my cayman S. However, driving it to storage I had two people pull up next to me giving me thumbs up, where I don't get that in the Cayman.

I do plan to fully build out my 951 once I get a better garage situation. If you can hang on to both I think it's worth it... the 951 is a unique (and good) looking, piece of history from Porsche, that is very livable day to day still and still performs well enough.

I had my first 944 from 2003 or so, and had gone through that and a 951 before my current 951. All of them were 86's.

I opened this not realizing it was an old thread with someone talking about how the 951 is 20 years old now and was like ... not quite buddy.... then realized they said that in 2006!

Quick Reply: 944 s2/951 vs Cayman S