Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of track experience do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the Skip Barber schools. However they are not some form of magic either. Like I said 3-6 regular DE days get you pretty much the same thing.

As for an Instructor actually teaching you something.... Given your attitude I would not expect an instructor to teach you anything. Thankfully 99% of students are willing to learn and by the end of one day have learned more about driving that they possibly imagined. Most also learn that they are at the tip of the iceberg and still have much to learn.

BTW... as for skid pad training my PCA region hosts a yearly "autcross school" in a local parking lot we set-up a skid circle with cones and various other exercises for the students to run through. I have been to the event 5 out 6 of of the last years. Once as a student and then 4 times as an instructor. For $50 there is ALOT of very valuable learning going on.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
For what is worth, I did the skippy programs not to be the next shumacher
BTW, Michael Schumacher just called.
He said that until you learn to spell his name correctly, there will be no private instruction for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher

then show up at a DE event in my brand new car and hope the instructor you get will actually teach you something.
Nice to see your PCA DE instructors getting such respect.

Oh yeah, not hitting the wall because of the skid pad experience, priceless....
In a perverse sort of way, I'm suddenly looking forward to next year's DE season and scanning the entry lists for a Cayman S
Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, do you happen to know someone called 'ColorChange'?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In a perverse sort of way, I'm suddenly looking forward to next year's DE season and scanning the entry lists for a Cayman S
Should we call it a date?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
BTW, do you happen to know someone called 'ColorChange'?
You got me there.......
Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

DMD – If memory serve, you've done ~2 DEs and a skippy school. Your post about being “careful" came across as a highly arrogant comment. Now, it may not have been your intention, but that’s how it read. Your comment was roughly the equivalent of a high schooler that is interested in dentistry telling you that you really need some more training.

I certainly do agree that not all PCA instructors are good. A few are excellent, most are in the middle, and a small number are just plain bad. But overall, you'll learn a ton by doing PCA DEs. Do yourself a favor and sign up for 6-8 DE events next year. Go to a variety of tracks, and put a video camera in to record you best times. This way you'll be able to track your progress and compare yourself to the club race times.

You are more than willing to PM me so we can hook up at a DE or PCA club race. If it is at a DE, I’ll take you out for a ride in my car, which runs in the same club racing class as the Cayman S.

You got me there.......
ColorChange was a novice driver that used to post a lot on Rennlist. He was very opinionated about how to learn to drive fast, even though he was still just a beginner. He wasn’t a bad guy, just very misguided. He eventually left and has not returned.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Are you thinking that you can get skid pad lesson/experience only at the Skippy? We have that in the DEs, actually you spend two skid pad session in the introductory (and mandatory) HPDC (driving clinic), which is to get you ready for the green group. I guess you missed the HPDC and started in green.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Your post about being “careful" came across as a highly arrogant comment. Now, it may not have been your intention, but that’s how it read
38D, my post was meant to elicit more responses, and obviously achieved it.
If I offended anyone I apologize.....

I am planning to do at least 10 DE events at Lime Rock, Watkins Glenn,Mont Treblanc, NHIS etc. and would be great to meet up with yourself and other members of this forum. But is everyone always so tense?

I have had the video camera set up from the first event, and I frequently view the video to try to see what I did wrong, but overall I am out to just enjoy my first porsche.

I know I am the new kid on the block, but haven't I been smacked around enough?

I will PM you at some point, if your offer is still valid, to catch a ride on your C2 turbo.

BTW, colin, you have the greatest avatar.....
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Are you thinking that you can get skid pad lesson/experience only at the Skippy? We have that in the DEs, actually you spend two skid pad session in the introductory (and mandatory) HPDC (driving clinic), which is to get you ready for the green group. I guess you missed the HPDC and started in green.
I purchased the vehicle late september and was able to only attend two events. One was a porsche event, the other was a different club.

Yes, I started in green with PCA while I started in the white group with the other club. Go figure....
Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

38D, my post was meant to elicit more responses, and obviously achieved it.
If I offended anyone I apologize.....

I am planning to do at least 10 DE events at Lime Rock, Watkins Glenn,Mont Treblanc, NHIS etc. and would be great to meet up with yourself and other members of this forum. But is everyone always so tense?

I have had the video camera set up from the first event, and I frequently view the video to try to see what I did wrong, but overall I am out to just enjoy my first porsche.

I know I am the new kid on the block, but haven't I been smacked around enough?

I will PM you at some point, if your offer is still valid, to catch a ride on your C2 turbo.

BTW, colin, you have the greatest avatar.....

No harm no foul. I would suggest you stay with PCA DEs while you are still a newer track driver (first 8-10 events). While the rules may seem a bit over the top, the program is more structured and you will learn more in the long run.

If you haven't been before, you will really like Watkins Glen. Very fast and very challenging.

Since you have video, post some for us to critique . Since you run the Cayman S, it is a pretty fair comparison to my car. I also have a bit of video racing against ErnieJ in his Cayman S. A well driven/set-up Cayman S can be very fast.

My offer for a ride is still open. I normally do a few early Lime Rock DEs as a tune up before the race.

And yes, I do like the 38Ds in my avatar (though they really are more like 36Cs).
Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased the vehicle late september and was able to only attend two events. One was a porsche event, the other was a different club.

Yes, I started in green with PCA while I started in the white group with the other club. Go figure....
Frankly, your 1st post was a good start and you had started to receive informative and good responses, as always with this board, then you messed it up with the last sentence in your post #5

Honestly, this board is not like the CaymanClub.net; there are way too many professionals and experienced people here, CaymanClub is new it will also grow.

Any how, welcome to the boards
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

Since you have video, post some for us to critique . Since you run the Cayman S, it is a pretty fair comparison to my car.

And yes, I do like the 38Ds in my avatar (though they really are more like 36Cs).
colin, i am just wondering why is 965 is classed same as cayman. what's the spec on 965?

38D, 36C... nice but too big for me.
i prefer 34C, not B not D, not 33 not 35. 34C...
all the one's i loved are 34C.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mooty, not to throw this book at you, but a C2 Turbo is not a 965. The 965 was a still-born project that never came to light (think Indy V8 engine in rear of 911 -mmm). The C2 Turbo happens to use a bunch of parts from the 965 project but the car itself is not a 965. Sadly, the C2 Turbo and the Turbo 3.6 do not have special #'s a la 951, 986, etc.

Now to your question, the C2 Turbo is rated at 315hp and 3000 lbs. Pretty similar to the Cayman S. Colin and Ernie are fairly well matched in PCA D class, too.

BostonDMD, there are some pretty friggin' good drivers in PCA. It is no mistake that David Donohue and Kevin Buckler, on separate occassions, have praised the PCA driver/racer as a group better than the collective pros they race against. Be careful how you judge based on one experience in a PCA DE green run group.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... 10 DE events at Lime Rock, Watkins Glenn,Mont Treblanc, NHIS etc. ....
Just a side note; Mont Tremblant is not spelled like Mont Blanc. Hope to see you there next year. Book early since we don't have as many DE events as some other chapters.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Just a side note; Mont Tremblant is not spelled like Mont Blanc. Hope to see you there next year. Book early since we don't have as many DE events as some other chapters.

See you there my friend, I will try to brush on my french. Remember, a black Cayman S ...

Quick Reply: What kind of track experience do you have?