Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman Convertible?

I pulled up to a FedEx service center today and on the way in, I was stopped by a gentleman, asking me about my car. Did I like the 911? How did I feel about the Cayman?
I spoke very highly of the Cayman S. Had a chance to drive on this weekend and loved it.
We spoke of the Boxster and he told me he really didn't like it. And then he asked me if the Cayman came in a convertible version.
I told him I was pretty sure that it did....
chuck
Old 06-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boxster or Cayman cabrio? Boxster coupe or Cayman? ...is there really a question in there?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Chuck,

Funny stuff.

Coincidentally, this Sunday (father's day), we are going to a place called Southern Kitchen (your neck of the wood) for brunch, then we (as in my wife and I) are going to look at the Cayman S. This is my father's day present to myself (the brunch and looking, not buying a car).

You have a great father's day.

CP
Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

cp, c'mon... father's day, you deserve a cayman.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you mention this, but I suspect that Porsche will rename the Boxster, making it the Cayman Cabriolet....why? Because it will instatntly gain the respect that the Boxster didnt have amongst the average joes who dont think the Boxster is a "REAL" Porsche....dont be surpeised if this happens.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I know you're kidding around, but now that you mention it, Cayman Cabriolet does sound nicer than boxter! Well, the Cabriolet part of the name anyway- Cayman is a weird name, as is Cayenne.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Murat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the biggest reason for this is the new body change of boxster. I was in love with Cayman S, still is actually.
When I went to the dealer, I saw this black Boxster S, and I thought it was a cayman from the front. I couldn't believe it was a boxster without getting close and looking from behind.
The only reason I got the boxster is i wanted a convertible.
Now that I got mine, I am looking at the other boxsters in traffic. The old ones are very different.
When I park, I overhear people pointing at my car and telling their friends, " hey look, it's the new cayman! "
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I think the biggest reason for this is the new body change of boxster. I was in love with Cayman S, still is actually.
When I went to the dealer, I saw this black Boxster S, and I thought it was a cayman from the front. I couldn't believe it was a boxster without getting close and looking from behind.
The only reason I got the boxster is i wanted a convertible.
Now that I got mine, I am looking at the other boxsters in traffic. The old ones are very different.
When I park, I overhear people pointing at my car and telling their friends, " hey look, it's the new cayman! "
Funny, Ive been seeing the new Boxster around and the only noticeable difference from the outside is the nose. I had to do a double take a few times. Most non-car enthusisat will not even tell the difference as many reviews on the new Boxster stated when it was first released. It wasn't a drastic change in design.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

CP-If you get a chance to drive a Cayman S, take the opportunity. I really liked my little test drive. I felt the Cayman was close in overall performance to my 993. You won't have that same experience since your car has a few more horses than mine....
Happy Fathers Day to you also. And everyone else!
chuck
Old 06-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
Funny, Ive been seeing the new Boxster around and the only noticeable difference from the outside is the nose. I had to do a double take a few times. Most non-car enthusisat will not even tell the difference as many reviews on the new Boxster stated when it was first released. It wasn't a drastic change in design.
The vent is bigger, the headlights AND the taillights are very different. These are most noticeable to me. I guess Porsche never makes drastic changes, which is why their value are well preserved. I must note I am not a Porsche expert. I am very new to Porsche and this is my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Cayman Convertible?