Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the famous "Tail of the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the famous "Tail of the Dragon"

Wow! What an amazing drive. The "Tail of the Dragon" is one of the top rated roads in the United States (it may be considered #1). According to Automobile magazine, it is one of 20 stretches of road that every enthusiast must drive before they die.

My brother flew in from NY (in college at West Point) on Saturday night. We woke up Saturday morning and began the 3-hour drive to Deals Gap, NC from Clarksville, TN to run the "Tail of the Dragon". We left around 0900. The "Tail of the Dragon" is an 11.2-mile stretch of HWY 129 with zero driveways, businesses, or intersecting roads and has 318 curves.

I picked up my car new on Thursday (3 days ago) and already had 1,000 miles on the odometer before we got to HWY 129 (the Tail of the Dragon). I didn't rev it above 4,000 RPMs until 500 miles and then didn't rev it above 5,000 RPMs until 1,000 miles. After 1,000 miles I let my Cayman breath and brought her all the way to redline. I currently have about 1,400 miles on my car.

Anyhow, back to the "Tail of the Dragon". On the drive to the famous road, my brother and I had a conversation about our hopes for the road we were about to drive. We were hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed and we hoped that it would be very curvy. We're from Utah originally and have driven some pretty hairy canyon curves. Well, we weren't disappointed. It is an amazing road!

When we got onto HWY 129 and were getting closer to the “official” start point of the "Tail of the Dragon" and we were somewhat disappointed. I'd driven curvier roads in Clarksville, TN (the back roads). Well, we were too quick to judge. We didn't know what we had coming to us. Soon, we began to see many sports cars such as 350Zs and Corvettes. We also saw several motorcycles.

As we reached the official start point (a bridge) we began to see amazing curves of road carving it's way through the forest. Being a fairly inexperienced driver in the Cayman S, I started out somewhat slow with PASM set to "stiff", Sport Button - OFF, and PSM on.

Side Note: I am a UH-60L Blackhawk Helicopter Pilot and have flown two full years in Iraq, I have driven at very high speeds in other cars (160+), drag raced extensively, and have auto-crossed a few times. None of this compared to the "automotive ecstasy" I was about to experience. What you are about to read below is how the Cayman S absolutely amazed my brother and I. We experienced an automotive genius that seemed to defy physics. We experienced the German engineering of the Cayman S at what seemed to us, to be at or close to the limit.

As the road began twisting and turning, the rain started to drizzle slowly down. No fear! I have the "rain sensing wiper" option! At first we were disappointed that it had begun raining as soon as we started the "Tail of the Dragon". However, I am now glad that it rained (continue reading and you'll see why). As each new curve came, my brother called out "hard left, sweeping right, 90 degree right, right then left S-turn, etc. He was using the navigation system (zoomed in) to forecast the coming turns (worked great). We made quite the team.

Turn after turn, I became increasingly confident and began pushing the car harder and harder. I could not get the car to slide much (This is a good thing. The road is a two-lane highway and cars/motorcycles are coming the opposite way very quickly). As I became more and more confident I pushed the car harder and harder. We kept yelling out (over the roaring engine) that this car was absolutely amazing! My confidence continued to grow and the car continued to absolutely amaze me. I began pushing even harder and the PSM began to kick in once in a while. It felt as though one would have to be a complete idiot to get the car to slide off the road [I really hope I don't eat my own words one day ]. I drove most of the course in the mid to top of second gear and the lower to middle part of third gear. Hairpin turn after hairpin turn we carved through the "Dragon". Every few miles we stopped to take pictures and to allow ourselves to calm down and rest. Driving the "Dragon" can be quite exhausting. It takes every bit of concentration you have and a bit of physical endurance and muscle as well.

We made it to the halfway point and stopped at the gift shop where there were plenty of cars and motorcycles pulled over watching the traffic go by. As we pulled in we saw a green Lotus Elise (my brother has had an obsession with the Elise since it was a concept). We talked to the owners and exchanged driving stories and decided that we'd follow each other down the hill. The Elise owner said that he wasn't going to push it very hard due to the fact that the Elise does not have any type of stability management and the roads were moderately wet.

We began following the Elise down the road and easily stuck with it. It was a beautiful car to follow. Further down the road, the Elise waved us by and we sprinted off. Shortly after it was time for a break again. I got out and handed my brother the keys (21 years old). I told him he could push it. I trust him and he has a good head on his shoulders. He said that he was just going to drive pretty normal because he didn't want to make me uncomfortable or wreck my car. Well, I guess the Cayman inspires confidence quickly. After a few curves he was going almost as quickly as I had been. It was tough being a passenger in my 74K sports car at such high speeds and through such sharp turns. I was nervous but trusted the car and my brother. It was so intense that we were both sweating a few miles down the road. Scott (my brother) finished the course and we pulled over both feeling kind of carsick. Yes, we felt motion sick. The "Dragon" is 318 curves in 11 miles! We experienced left and right G-Forces over and over and over again. Wow! What an adrenaline rush.

Scott handed the keys back to me and I began running the "Dragon" in the reverse route. Scott continued to call out the curves and I began pushing the car harder and harder. Eventually I felt comfortable enough to turn on the "Sport" button (makes the car have a HARD redline, increases throttle response, and allows the back end of the car to come out a little by reducing the effect of the Porsche Stability Management). I was a little nervous driving in the "Sport" mode due to the reduced PSM but soon became very confident. I was letting the tail whip-out slightly on every single turn. Left, right, left, left, right, left! Turn after turn, we went faster and faster. Sliding through most the turns I felt as though we were pushing the car very near its limits. Amazing! I only felt slightly uncomfortable on two or three turns when I came in with "almost" too much speed but all I had to do was point the front wheels in the direction I wanted to go and the car went there. I've heard the phrase, "This car handles like it's on rails" before. It does feel like it's on rails but when it is raining it feels as though it has secret claws hidden in the tires (retracted). As soon as I pushed the car a little too hard, PSM stuck its claws deep into the asphalt and directed me where I wanted to go. Absolutely unbelievable. If this car had cost $140,000 it would have been worth it. I believe 95% of Cayman S owners do not know the true nature and utter performance potential their car has. I sure didn't and wouldn't have if it were not for "The Tail of the Dragon".

We drove up and down a few more times and soon became very tired. It was a very exhausting day. The pure adrenaline rush was crazy. As we came out of the official "Dragon" course our adrenaline levels and energy reached an all time low. We were both a little car sick and very exhausted. We drove towards Nashville for about an hour and then decided to punch in "Restaurants" as a "Point of Interest" in the navigation module. It gave us a list of close restaurants and we chose a place called "Lefty's Barbeque". It was 5 miles off the highway (can't remember which one). We ate great Southern Barbeque, coleslaw, corn on the cob, baked beans, and potato salad. Of course we had Sweet Tea too. It was just what we needed to make it home. We finally arrived around 10PM (Sunday Night).

The entire drive home we talked about how fun the "Dragon" was and how amazing the Porsche was. We couldn’t believe how the car drove as if the road were dry. I think we could have gone “slightly” faster if the road had been dry. I say that I only would have been able to go “slightly” faster because the wet roads did not seem to affect the way the Porsche gripped the road. Doesn’t make sense does it? I know, unbelievable. You’d have to see it to believe it. I’m sure the wet road “does” make a difference in grip but is sure didn’t seem so today. (Note: There wasn’t standing water on the road). It gripped the road and kept going without sliding much. Before today, I would have thought that “any” car would have slid off the road; even if it were going half the speed we took those curves (even on dry roads). Scott commented about how he wished he could write Porsche and tell them what an excellent job they did designing the car. I wish I could tell Dr. Porsche myself. I'm a true believer and a huge fan now.

I guess I just didn't know.

Shane
Old 05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice story Shane. People wrangle about power ad infinitum, but it's all about the curves and your story defers to the sweetspot in Porsche ownership.

"Baby, if you got the coyves, I got da angles!"

-Wolfman Jack
Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

ME
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

NEED
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

CAYMAN!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Fantastic. But what's the story with the man? I'm sure a NY brogue and plates is like shootin' fish in a barrel for them. I won't be slammin' curves south of the Mason-Dixon line anytime soon. That sure looks sweet though.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great read! Sounds like a blast!

designman, the Automobile article mentioned something about a cop there who doesn't go chasing after the TOTD runners because it would just cause more havoc. I'm sure he's not the only one in the area, but I get the impression they just kind of let things be.

...now, since the "secret" is out about TOTD, that may change...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Great write-up -- they should print it in the next issue of Panorama.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Excellent adventure Shane! THanks for posting.

Now that is a have to do. See many other Porsches?

Maybe an impromptu gathering in the future?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:42 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write up!

Lots of Porsches, 'Vettes, and other exotics. Mostly bikes however. Miata, Boxster, and other national clubs do annual weekends so you can arrive to pandemonium on some dates.

The local cops seem to focus on rescuing wrecked cars and bikes and summoning ambulances. Every once in a while the NC SHP will do a crack down, but they seem to focus on bikes as that is where most injuries occur. The main problem is traffic, particularly on summer weekends. I hit it last fall mid-week and had the road to myself mostly. Amazing stuff.

Good site with maps, news, and law enforcement info:
Tail of the Dragon
Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

Not too many exotic car or Porsches out that day. It was just a little rainy. I'm sure there are a lot on nice days.

I'd be interested in a Porsche meet there.

Shane
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice write up. I think your bro posted on elisetalk.com too.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Great read! the Automobile article mentioned something about a cop there who doesn't go chasing after the TOTD runners because it would just cause more havoc. I'm sure he's not the only one in the area, but I get the impression they just kind of let things be.

...now, since the "secret" is out about TOTD, that may change...
Doug, which issue was that?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:34 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Great story. Enjoyed it..

Quick Reply: Drove the famous "Tail of the Dragon"