Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Called the local dealer RE: base Cayman order guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Called the local dealer RE: base Cayman order guide

Just out of curiostiry I called the local dealer this morning to ask about availability of ordering guides for the base Cayman. Until I called they had no idea Porsche had even let slip the base model. While on the phone the sales rep checked their info pipeline, and said "Oh wow, I guess they will be making a base Cayman".

Then they proceeded to tell me that obviously they had no info and that anything ordered right now is for August build/October delivery. They won't hear about upcoming allocation for a week or more, so the best they could offer was for me to call back then.

I am actually more into the base model and then just pull the 2.7 and sell it, and upgrade to the 3.8 and some remote res suspension bits than I am willing to drop 70K on the S. I'd bet for the same $$$ a modified base model would smoke the CS.

Anyway, that's my contribution this morning... the Cayman is a bad **** and would be a great addition to the garage, next to the grocery getter and the 944 track ****.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Eric,

RUF says their 3.8L motor transplant si only for the Cayman S. Others may be able to do that for the base Cayman.

Trouble with the base Cayman is, you have to buy the PASM to get 6 speed box, then you spend a lot more on the after-market suspension because ofthe PASM. Spend more bucks on wheels/tires (17" standard), and still need a LSD for all the added power. By the time you made it perfect, it's about $85k again. Porsche makes it painful in these regards.

Don't get me wrong, I will still buy the base Cyaman as my daily driver. However, I don't need the maga-HP as I still will have my RUF. I'll enjoy the superior chasis, the 2,800# weight, and the driving range (30 MPG w/ 16.9 gallon tank).

CP
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how helpful the 6-speed would be (depends on the ratios). In the Cayman S the top two gears are both "overdrives" (ratios less than 1). When I accelerate on the road, I'm over the speed limit in third and still have 3 gears left that I don't know what to do with. Even at VIR (two very long straights), 5th is as high as it needs. I read that the base C weight will be about 100# less than the S. My CS weighs 3087# with a full tank (about 3027# with a half tank probably). That's with 18" wheels and tires (the 17's should be a bit lighter) and few weighty options (only Xenons, PASM, SC, sport seats and steering wheel). I don't know how Porsche got their reported CS weight as low as 2954#; maybe with no fluids, but it can't be driven like that.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
CP
Race Director

Jim,

Regarding the 5th vs 6th gear: if I have a 245 HP engine, 5 gears are plenty as the 6th will be a very wimpy gear at freeway speed. However, if Erics puts in a 3.8 L engine, then a 6th gear will be good for freeway crusing. I realize in a competitive situation, 4th is where you'll top out most of the time, no matter how many HP you have.

Since my Cayman is a daily driver and I do care about gas mileage, I'd cruise in the highest gear available. If it's 5, then so be it. I will not order my Cayman with PASM as I do not track or auto-x. But that means I'll live without a 6th gear.

I read that the base Cayman is about 2,875#s or so. It is definitely good (read:light) for a modern car with all the safety and comfort features. Even the Miata has bloated to 2,498# for goodness sake, and the car mags don't complain much about the lack of oomphs there. I can still remember my 96 Miata with 205 HP weighing in at 2,184#. Now that was a great fun ride.

CP
Old 05-22-2006, 09:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I can still remember my 96 Miata with 205 HP weighing in at 2,184#. Now that was a great fun ride.
The '96 Miata was more like 135hp.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM
kd4yor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking the base will be a better car to build into a hot street/DE/Club racer. I like the option of NOT getting PASM. The less controls the better. I can alwasy upgrade the brakes and engine later. I have an appointment at the dealer tommorow afternoon to discuss it. I was told I could get a July build and an 06 MY designation on one of the first 2.7 cars.

Pat
Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 38D
The '96 Miata was more like 135hp.
True for stock. Mine has Jackson Racing super-charger, special headers and exhaust. PO dynoed at 205 HP.

CP
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CP: The CS was a little more porky than the weight claimed, so the base C could be too. I can believe that it can get 30 mpg, however, because I can easily get the EPA estimated 28 on the highway; I can even get over 30 if I try. At VIR, however, it gets a very reliable 9 mpg.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
CP: The CS was a little more porky than the weight claimed, so the base C could be too. I can believe that it can get 30 mpg, however, because I can easily get the EPA estimated 28 on the highway; I can even get over 30 if I try. At VIR, however, it gets a very reliable 9 mpg.
LOL, jim drive it right.
the best i can get is 24 on the fwy.
on track it's 9mpg.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
on track it's 9mpg.
I would kill for 9mpg on the track. I get a blistering 3.5-4mpg with turbo.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:59 AM
CP
Race Director

Colin,

You got stuck in first gear or something?

CP
Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The official Porsche announcement of the base Cayman.

Porsche newsletter

I find the 6 speed in my 968 very handy with 240 hp.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to be a tough call. Porsche is confusing me of late. I really really had my heart set on a base Cayman, bare bones, with no PASM, Sport Chrono, or anything crazy. I've found that I end up tuning everything anyway, so why pay for suspension when I'll just want to upgrade anyway. But to tie the 6-speed to PASM kinda sucks. Then I see craziness like the Tip in the new 997 Turbo being faster than the manual. If that happened in the Cayman I'd be on it in a second. Sure it may be heavier, but you'll NEVER miss a shift. It's actually pretty nice once you get used to it, I use Tip mode 99% of the time in my Audi.

I really like the Cayman, and I have a plan to get one. When my girl and I get married next year or whenever we've already agreed that the honeymoon is taking Euro delivery of a Porsche and driving around for a bit. You know, like enough miles to break the thing in so I can stop at the 'Ring on the way home

So I just wish Porsche would bow to the enthusiasts and give us a Club Sport. At that point, I'd stop bitching... and start buying ; That is, if their dealers even knew what they were talking about!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

eric, either you didn't quite understand cayman s or 2007 models are very differnet than 2006. cayman S doesn't have pasm standard or sport chrono standard. are you taking about psm? psm is standard on EVERY porsche of late (short of GTx). if you want bare bone cars, you can get it in both s or non s. so really the ONLY difference is 5 vs 6 speed and 3.4 vs 2.7. (unless of course, they totally changed the standard list in 2007)

Quick Reply: Called the local dealer RE: base Cayman order guide