Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on the Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Some thoughts on the Cayman

Here are some thoughts I had on the Cayman S. I really don't mean to belittle anyone here or say bad things about anyone's car. But ...

How did the Porsche manage to make the Cayman S exactly in the midway between the 911 and the Boxster in terms of almost all technical metrics? I am astonished that the Porsche engineers could make something right in the middle. Here is a comparison listed in the order of the Boxster S, Cayman S and 911:

Displacement: 3.2 liters, 3.4 and 3.6
Horsepower (SAE): 280 hp, 295 and 325
Torque: 236 ft.-lb., 250 and 273
Compression ratio: 11.0 : 1, 11.1, 11.3

So basically, I am inclined to believe that the Porsche engineers were restricted to designing a car between the Boxster and the 911. I would rather buy a machine that sets it own standard -- one which is designed by engineers who are given a free reign to bring out the best possible car in the given price constraints. Does anyone feel the same way? ... that the Cayman has been tamed down and Porsche engineers could have delivered a much better car -- but that would have eaten into the 911 market?

For Cayman lovers: I don't wish to stir up trouble! A Porsche is still a Porsche -- I hope you enjoy it!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya
I am inclined to believe that the Porsche engineers were restricted to designing a car between the Boxster and the 911. I would rather buy a machine that sets it own standard
I think it is pretty clear that the engineers weren't given free rein but to me it doesn't matter how the car was developed; only that the final result is what I want.

Alan
Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go out on a limb and say the Cayman was "designed" by the Porsche Marketing Dept. I hope someone will prove me wrong and restore my admiration for the company..
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Helo Driver
Advanced

It's obvious that Porsche did what you say it did. It is unfortunate but I am happy with the final product. Plus, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it if it "set it's own standards".

For that reason, I am happy with the Cayman S.

Shane
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if I feel the same way, but then I'm not quite sure what you mean by "..... a machine that sets its own standard." Do you mean something like the Lotus Elise, GT3, GT3 Cup, or Carrera GT? Porsche AG explicitly stated that the Cayman was designed to fit between the Boxster S and the 997. Rather than viewing that as a restriction, I viewed the Cayman S as being the best performing mid-engine Porsche short of the Carrera GT. The 997 also fits its respective performance/cost niche below the 997 S, which is a notch below the 997 S with X51. Maybe the GT3, Cup, and CGT qualify as machines that set their own standards, but I think even they were designed to fit a niche.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:55 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone who wants to complain GO AND DRIVE THE CAYMAN! Especially on the track! Yes it is underpowered compared to a GT3 and other cars. But it handles wonderfully! Will I keep mine indefinitley? Probably not. I want the 997 GT3 more than the Cayman and I don't want to get rid of my 996 GT3. Too bad I can't keep all of them!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan V
I'll go out on a limb and say the Cayman was "designed" by the Porsche Marketing Dept. I hope someone will prove me wrong and restore my admiration for the company..
Sorry, but every car Porsche makes is "designed" by the marketing department. In fact, all cars are pretty much designed by the marketing department. The only cars that are purely designed by engineers are race cars.

Heck, the main reason Porsches started out rear-engined is because the marketing department wanted the rear "seats". Sports cars that cost a ton of money sell better if they have rear seats.

Imagine if Porsche had never turned the motor around and stuck with the original mid-engined designs? 911's have been designed by marketing from the beginning (as were 356s).

Get over it!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Aren't we just talking about the motor here? The handling is second to none. The ride is comfortable for a sports car and the Cayman is quite practical for use as a daily driver. Its seems to me that all Porsche did was limit the size of the motor so it wouldn't hurt the Carrera's sales or image as top dog; and is that really such a bad thing?

Let's not forget that we enthusiasts probably don't even make up a majority of Porsche buyers. Many buy the cars because of image, prestige, beauty or a life long desire to own a 911. If Porsche did anything to hurt the 911 would these customers buy a Cayman S for less money or an Aston Martin V8 Vantage for a little more money with its accompanying image and prestige? Many Porschephiles complained about the Cayenne but if it puts money in Porsche's pocket and enables them build cars like the Cayman S I can live with it. Yes, I would have been happier if my Cayman S could smoke a Corvette at a stoplight but in the scheme of things keeping the Cayman S as the Carrera's little brother at the present time is probably what is best for Porsche AG and us enthusiasts. I have faith that consumer demand will ultimately decide the fate of the Cayman and that Porsche management will respond if it is in the company's best interest.

Alan
Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times can people rehash Jeremy Clarkson's tirade from Top Gear and peddle it as fresh material?

Every other automotive company designs their cars around a performance/price structure but all of a sudden it's a criticism because the badge on the hood is from Stuttgart.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Professor Gascan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Every other automotive company designs their cars around a performance/price structure but all of a sudden it's a criticism because the badge on the hood is from Stuttgart.
Bingo. The Cayman S was designed with a pricing structure, performance envelope, and marketing structure in mind, just like the 911 and the Boxster S. Every single car on sale to consumers is designed in a similar fashion. Porsche wanted the car to slot between the Boxster and 911, thus, the pricing and performance fell into place as such. It's not that Porsche is limiting the Cayman to not step on the toes of the 911. To make the Cayman faster with more HP, LSD, etc, would mean more cost, thus pushing it out of its intended market.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I wasn't impressed with the Cayman S, that is, unitl I drove one. A little work and it will be an outstanding track car.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

This theory of yours has been widely discussed ever since the inception of the vehicle. Lots of people chalk up the "the car isnt as good as it couldve been, damn marketing dept!" The point is valid, if given a 911 power plant and supporting elements, the chassis design is superior but the 911 has been a cornerstone of Porsche for 40 years! Porsche will never throw that heritage away.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
How many times can people rehash Jeremy Clarkson's tirade from Top Gear and peddle it as fresh material?

Bingo. Definately getting old.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually surprised that my point has been considered before (and that it's getting old now). I did a lot of searches and could actually see the Top Gear epsiode on Google Video (Thanks lowside67 for the tip).

I drove several Porsches before buying mine -- a new Cayman S and plenty of 996s and 997s. The Cayman was great, but the 997s were clearly brilliant. To keep things in my budget, I finally settled for a 996. I guess I would be more comfortable with a Cayman after it's been tested by the public for a few years.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Just how stupid is the logic of this post (and Clarkson's video)? Allow me an unlimited budget and not have to sell my product at a particular price point and I will make you a really great car. Force me to hit a price point, and I will have to make compromises. Geez.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the Cayman