Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on the Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
BTW, Mooty, I didn't hear from your guru, so can only get -.7 degree negative camber in front with the shock tower bolts moved fully toward the center of the chassis in their slots. So my first mod might be adjustable camber plates.
sorry about that, some times he's too busy working on my cars, LOL. i will ask him again.

yeah, i am looking for camber plates as well. i think mantis racing does one, but no sure if they are ready to ship. evo motor sport has some very high quality plates for boxsters 987, not sure if those would work on cayman though... the next Q is that you are dialing in lots of camber with the new plates, so how are you going to deal with other finer adjustment such as anti sway bars? OME is not adjustable and i am not sure others are available?

i was told that cayman doesn't like much bar in the back. but not having any adj on my, i can't verify that. maybe ernie from mantis will chime in.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ernie said the Cayman front camber plates (race/DE tested, and no drilling) are available for $475. They can provide up to -2.6 degrees, depending on how much the car is lowered. They are running their Cayman 4" off the pavement at the jacking points. "tbosley" said he is approaching the camber problem from the bottom; installing a GT-3 lower control arm, which is wider and is adjustable with shims. He said that he would also go with the GT-3 adjustable sway bar, assuming it fits okay.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 06-05-2006 at 12:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-05-2006, 12:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

GT3 sway bars will fit front, not so sure about rear though.

i would go with camber plate before GT3 lower control arm, i think the adj would be easier and most likely cheaper.

i wonder if anyone has a cmplete pkg. (ie, coil overs, drop links, camber plates, adj sway bars.... waiting waiting waiting.)
Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd feel better about the camber plate solution too, as it would retain all OE parts in the "operating system." I'm not big on adjustable sway bars either, as they increased system complexity and sent me chasing my tail to find the best settings for everything. I had them on my RSA, but went back to the OE sway bars. After 20 years I'm still trying to figure out tire pressures.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the Cayman